AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who has shows that just don't record? I've had my replay now going on 2 weeks, I've read the replaytv faq about this issue. Basically, I had a couple non-guaranteed recordings set for last night to grab the local news on NBC, and then Leno after it. I've looked through my entire guide...there were no conflicts. No one was watching TV, the Replay was off. It did not record either the news or Leno. It just didn't record them. There are no messages to indicate a power failure or anything. Any ideas about where I might look to resolve this issue?

My ReplayTV is a 5040.

·
Registered
112 Posts
One thing you can check:

When watching live TV hit pause and see how much pause time is left.

If there is less than what your are trying to record 'non-G' then you need to free up some space. If you have too much guaranteed allocated there may not be any space left for non-guarenteed.

If that doesn't do it, cold boot it (un-plug)

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I've seen an occurence I couldn't explain otherwise maybe once a year,

and I record quite a few shows. I don't think it is a widespread frequent

problem or you'd see a lot of people complaining.

Try making your shows guaranteed and see if that makes a difference.

Check the last time your replay rebooted (411-zones) and see if it was

during the times in question.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Icecow:

That day, I had it set to record Dr. Phil in the afternoon (don't ask) NG, it didn't get that, but later in the evening, it did record Crossing Jordan (G) and Mr. Personality (NG), but then later on failed to record the news and Leno (NG) on NBC. Haven't checked it yet today...that will have to wait until after work.

bob645:

Should that matter? Shouldn't it just cycle out other NG recorded shows?

sfhub:

Unfortunately, I had more than one occurance in one day...which I've found kind of annoying. The Dr. Phil recording, my wife could've very well been up and watching it....and stopped it, but she was at work for the news and Leno, as was I....those should've recorded. I was thinking about trying it one more week as "NG" and if they didn't record, then guaranteeing them. I really didn't want to do that though...as I wanted the freedom to disreguard those if I scheduled a "one-time" item in that timeslot.

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In addition to the above, I had a couple issues today. One time, while changing channels, it spontaneously rebooted. Then...while watching TV, at different times it just froze. I fully power-cycled it....and it did the same thing. I hit pause, and it showed it had 0h 0m left. OK...?!! I thought it was supposed to drop NG programs if it ran out of space? Well....it kept freezing until I deleted a couple of programs, then it started working fine again. Is this normal?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Sounds like you may have some corruption going on. If it were me,

I'd extract shows from the replay using dvarchive and perform a

382-zones factory reset to see if things get better. I've seen replay's

in the state you are describing and they can be quite unstable with

weirder and weirder stuff happening. If that doesn't work, consider

RMA or reimage the drive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I may very well do that...although I'd hate to have to setup all my recordings again...but alas...

What does annoy me though is that this is relatively quick. I just got the thing maybe a little over 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dfjkl
That day, I had it set to record Dr. Phil in the afternoon
Do you by any chance record Oprah and use padding, since the network starts Oprah a minute or two before the hour? If so, Dr. Phil won't record because of the conflict with those couple minutes.

If you feel you have to record things NG, you can always program them as G, so it will check for conflicts wth any other G recording, then change it back to NG.

IF you REALLY want something recorded, make it G (guaranteed)!

-steve-

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I found a bug in recording one of a kind guaranteed show:

5000 record bug

It's the only thing I've ever discovered in a show not recording.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skleiser:

Nope, no Oprah. The Dr. Phil thing was a one time thing because he was doing a run-down of late-night show appearances....and I like late-night TV, so I was curious about the little "behind-the-scenes," not too much more to that one. It just didn't record....which had me baffled, because certain things in the evening did record, but not all. ...and believe it or not...I did go back and check them all after the fact to make sure they didn't conflict, and they didn't. I think I ended up making Leno on Mondays G as I do like headlines, and don't get to see them due to my crappy 2nd shift work schedule.

adone36:

Y'know...I can't say I looked for this in any depth...but I did notice that the one-time recordings (the Dr. Phil one) did look like that. I'll have to look out for that.

To All:

I thought while watching live TV, it would fill up all available HD space. In that case...it doesn't make sense that I have 4 hours free on high quality to record programs yet only 2 hours to pause live TV. Shouldn't it use space that isn't filled w/ shows even if those slots were guaranteed? It really shouldn't matter, as when you change channels, the buffer is cleared. Anyway...

Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dfjkl
it doesn't make sense that I have 4 hours free on high quality to record programs yet only 2 hours to pause live TV.
The 4 hours means you could guarantee 4 more hours. The 2 hours means that half of that space is used by NG recordings. If you went ahead and guaranteed 4 more hours, that number would change to zero, but the actual unrecorded disk space that you see with Pause would still be about 2 hours until one of those newly guaranteed shows actually recorded something. If 2 hours of those guaranteed programs recorded, both numbers would be zero (or close to that).

Now, if the OTHER 2 hours that you just guaranteed ALSO recorded, you would lose 2 hours of your NG recordings.

You could reserve the whole disk but not have anything recorded, in which case the Replay Guide would say that you have no time left (for guaranteed) but Pause would should that you actually have the whole disk available, because unrecorded guaranteed space can be used for NG recordings as well as live buffer.

Clear as mud, right? :)

-steve-

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hint: PAUSE is always High Quality

Recording AVAILABILITY is always at the default quality you set in the setup screen.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
skleiser:

Yup...clear as mud. If I remember right though, it didn't seem that my space not being used by G programs was being reflected in pause. I could be wrong though. Doesn't matter....I have little on my unit now...as I just had to exchange it for a new one, as my other one decided to do the infinite reboot shuffle after a couple of weeks of ownership.

whirly:

I was aware of that. That was the source of my confusion, is that all being "high quality," there was a descrepancy.

Thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.