AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a proud 4504 owner (modded it w/ a 160gb drive :)), but a buddy of mine just got a Showstopper 1000 (?) unit for free from a friend and was wondering what he could do w/ it....i've been pitchin the 45xx units to him for months, but he hasn't taken the plunge yet - maybe the 1000 unit will wet his whistle some ;). anyway, here are my questions bout the 1000 model:

How big is the harddrive in it?

Is it upgradeable?...i'm sure it hasn't been modded at all.

How's the video/audio quality compared to the 4xxx series?

I saw a 1000 unit going for over $250 new on eBay....would it be better for him to sell this one and then pick up a new 45xx model?

thanks for the help....sturmie

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
How big is the harddrive in it?

- 20 gb.

Is it upgradeable?...i'm sure it hasn't been modded at all.

- Yes. Up to 120 hours (gb) with 1 drive, or more with 2 drives.

How's the video/audio quality compared to the 4xxx series?

- Some say the 3000 series ReplayTV boxes and ShowStoppers have better video than the 4000/4500 series boxes. Others (including me) say it's comparable.

I saw a 1000 unit going for over $250 new on eBay....would it be better for him to sell this one and then pick up a new 45xx model?

- If it was me, I'd sell it and go for a 5000.

-Gary

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info....i'll talk to him and see what he says....at least if he upgrades this one, he could still use the 120gb drive in a 4xxx series if he decides he wants to go that route eventually.

sturmie

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a ShowStopper 1000 that I've upgraded with a 120GB drive (piece o' cake).

One thing it does have over later ReplayTV models is the cost of the ShowStopper included the lifetime program guide. I assume that's still true for the one your buddy has, so it has an additional $250 of value already built-in.

·
Registered
478 Posts
sigh.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dallben
sigh.
what's the "sigh" for?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Better that I not get started. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nah.

Just read my sig.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonMac
...One thing it does have over later ReplayTV models is the cost of the ShowStopper included the lifetime program guide. I assume that's still true for the one your buddy has, so it has an additional $250 of value already built-in.
The $250 fee on the 45xx and 5xxx is not for the free guide data. It is for activation. The Showstoppers, 2xxx, 3xxx, and 40xx price structure did not break the price apart in two thus there is no activation fee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.