AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Showstopper records medium quality audio at 32KHz, while new Replay units, as well as DVDs, use 48KHz audio. If you don't have an old Showstopper, stop reading now, you're wasting your time.

I wanted to transfer shows from my Showstopper to my RTV 5040. Without preprocessing, I had a lot of high frequency aliasing (kind of a whining). Preprocessing with BeSweet, even tweeking the "command text", produced horrible clicking. I finally was able to solve the problem using a command line version of Lame. Here's how:

1) Extract Show.mpg using Extract (This requires pulling the HD from the Showstopper)

2) Use DVD2AVI to create Show.dv2 and "Show MPA T01 DELAY -XXX.mpa" files

3) Use Lame to transcode the 32KHz .mpa file to a 48KHz .mp3 file:

lame -b 192 -q 2 --resample 48 --mp3input "Show MPA T01 DELAY -123ms.mpa" "Show MPA T01 DELAY -123ms.mp3"

4) Use Lame to decode the 48KHz .mp3 file to a 48KHz .wav file:

lame --decode "Show MPA T01 DELAY 6674ms.mp3"

5) Use TMPGEnc to assemble/convert the Show.wav and Show.dv2 files to an SVCD, Replay5K show, or whatever.

(You can use the -123ms numbers to fix audio sync problems, which is discussed in the forum)

--

Sorry, I didn't see anyway to combine steps 3 and 4. I wrote a batch file for this, but since "%1" doesn't allow for spaces in file names, I couldn't write a "generic" batch. (If you know how to do this, please reply)

I found a nice, compiled version of lame at this site:
(Sorry you'll have to search softnews dot ro yourself, AVS won't let me post a web address.)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Two notes... once you do this you can Import these files into DVArchive and play back on your 5k. You gotta use rtv_convert, but it works, I've done it.

there are several things that I wanted to comment on.

1) You don't need to DVD2AVI all you need to do is demux the audio and video stream.

2) Besweet can't handle the converting from 32k to 48k without problems? Why are you converting to mp3? There's no need. Azid should work with Besweet just fine. What was your exact besweet command line?

3) You shouldn't need to mess with the audio offset if you are playing back on a replayTV. The replay decoder handles everything with the clock references in the mpeg stream.

4) I think your "%1" problem can be solved with...

bat file called test.bat
Code:
Code:
lame -b 192 -q 2 --resample 48 --mp3input "%~1.mpa" "%~1.mp3"
lame --decode "%~1.mp3"
Invoke the test.bat files like:

test "Show MPA T01 DELAY -123ms"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) The DVD2AVI step insures the audio will be in sync, which will be an issue for anyone trying to make and SVCD, DVD, or just to play the file on their computer. For the extra 1 minute involved, I recommend this step.

2) Like I said, Besweet had issues. I searched the 'net for problems converting 32KHz to 48KHz, and I found several people complaining about clicking noises using BeSweet, but no solutions. I'm talking like a click once or twice a second. Here's my command line, which I don't think you can get with the GUI.

BeSweet.exe -core( -input Show.mpa -output Show.mp2 ) -azid( -c light -L -3db --maximize ) -ota( -fs 32000 ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -m s -b 192 -e )

3) YES! I knew there was some trick to getting batch files to read strings from the command line, and its the tilde. Thanks!

Of course, there are a lot of details I left out, like using FIX-TIME. I just posted this so the next poor schmo searching for "32KHz Audio" finds something usefull.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dhughes
1) The DVD2AVI step insures the audio will be in sync, which will be an issue for anyone trying to make and SVCD, DVD, or just to play the file on their computer. For the extra 1 minute involved, I recommend this step.
Don't be so sure this value is what you want... What this value states is the difference between the first audio frame in reference to the first video frame. Now that may or may not be importat, it seems that decoders do what they want with a lot of the info embedded in the stream. I'm suspicious of the PTS timestamps, I don't trust what the replay is filling those fields with, but I've got nothing to prove my case yet...

You are taking the d2v file and the new audio for re-encoding. If you are making a DVD you don't need to re-encode the video, and you method may or may not work because of the d2v file is more a portal to the video part of the mepg stream. I must admit, I've used DVD2AVI for many things, I haven't has a lot of use for the d2v files though...

A demuxed video stream can be used directly by most dvd packages.

Quote:

2) Like I said, Besweet had issues. I searched the 'net for problems converting 32KHz to 48KHz, and I found several people complaining about clicking noises using BeSweet, but no solutions. I'm talking like a click once or twice a second. Here's my command line, which I don't think you can get with the GUI.

BeSweet.exe -core( -input Show.mpa -output Show.mp2 ) -azid( -c light -L -3db --maximize ) -ota( -fs 32000 ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -m s -b 192 -e )

[/b]
I keep several older versions of all the applications around for just such problems. I'm sorry I've got no experince with what you're seeing. The other option is to convert the mpa file to 48k wav and from wav back to mpa, two pass, but it should work. I think the problem is going directly from mpa to mpa without the wav file.

Quote:

3) YES! I knew there was some trick to getting batch files to read strings from the command line, and its the tilde. Thanks!

[/b]
No problem, I'm shocked I remembered!

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
If you really want to get lame working go to www.doom9.org, click on downloads and look under audio tools. There should be something you can use there. You may have to add the lame path to your path to get it to run without a full command line path to the executable.

But, I said it before, I'll say it again... you shouldn't need LAME.

Did you even read my point 2 in my first post in this page? I also said the same thing in you 3000->5000 file thread. I know dhughes said he had problems, but... give it a shot yourself, you most likely won't.

Just use Besweet to convert the audio sample rate from 32k to 48k, just besweet, that's all you need. MPEG Audio to MPEG Audio, if that doesn't work, then you could do MPEG Audio->48K Wave-> 48K MPEG Audio. Going to MP3 is a bad idea because it's a a conversion to a nother lossy compression, going to wave would give you a better result. But... only if you can't get it to work in the single step 32K MPEG audio to 48K MPEG Audio.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Jeff,

I'll try BeSweet. The reason why I was drawn to the LAME solution (no PUN intended!)... is because he published a step-by-step guide with command lines.

I have not been keeping up with the A/V format technicalities, so it's nice when a step-by-step guide on getting a 3000 video to a 5000 machine is published. The one using LAME is the only one I could find on these boards.

So, OK, I'll use BeSweet for the audio conversion... but that still begs the question: what exactly do I need to do to convert the video from 3k to 5k?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
If you really want to get lame working go to www.doom9.org, click on downloads and look under audio tools. There should be something you can use there. You may have to add the lame path to your path to get it to run without a full command line path to the executable.

But, I said it before, I'll say it again... you shouldn't need LAME.

Did you even read my point 2 in my first post in this page? I also said the same thing in you 3000->5000 file thread. I know dhughes said he had problems, but... give it a shot yourself, you most likely won't.

Just use Besweet to convert the audio sample rate from 32k to 48k, just besweet, that's all you need. MPEG Audio to MPEG Audio, if that doesn't work, then you could do MPEG Audio->48K Wave-> 48K MPEG Audio. Going to MP3 is a bad idea because it's a a conversion to a nother lossy compression, going to wave would give you a better result. But... only if you can't get it to work in the single step 32K MPEG audio to 48K MPEG Audio.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
jon, if I were on another PC I'd give you the command line, it's actually something really simple. I've even put it elsewhere on this board, the exact command line to do what you want. But... I can't remember it all off the top of my head, so rather than give you the incorrect info I'll have to figure it out. I'm fighting with a dying hard disk, so everything else is low priority...

Ok, i take that back, dumb guess follows...

"C:\\Program Files\\besweet\\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "d:\ est.mp2" -output "d:\ est-New.mp2") -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -mp2enc( -m s -b 192 -e )

that should do it, you can substitute toolame for mp2enc if you find one or the other gives you the "popping" that dhuges complained about.

Of course make suer you have the correct path to your copy of besweet, and adjust the input and output file names to match what you want.

Give that a shot with a normal 32k mpa file and tell me if it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.