AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing a 30-hour showstopper and was wondering if it was possible for me to record on one channel and watch a different channel at the same time. I know on my girlfriend's brothers unit he can, but he has both digital cable and satellite. I think the way he does it is he records off satelitte and watches the other channel off cable.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you have analog cable, or off-the-air antenna, then absolutely!

If you have a cable box or a satellite box, it only gets one channel at a time, so Replay can't be recording while you watch another channel through the same box. Obviously, you can watch satellite at the same time as Replay is recording digital cable.

A more subtle approach is recording off a box, while watching a Replay prerecorded show. You can do this all the time, and is probably more normal, once you get going and learn to use your Replay.

This isn't a Replay limitation. Comes closer to physics.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think if you have cable, you can use a cable splitter, and have one line goto the replay unit and the other to the tv. If you read the manual there is a section about recording one show while watching another.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JDC
I think if you have cable, you can use a cable splitter, and have one line goto the replay unit and the other to the tv. If you read the manual there is a section about recording one show while watching another.

That's what I do, although I can't watch all the channels since I have a digital cable box hooked into the Replay. I can only watch the non-digital channels when recording something else.

·
Registered
529 Posts
With the Showstopper, your easiest thing to do is just watch something that you previously recorded on the Panny while recording new content. That way you have the benefit of Quick-Skip-ing thru the brain-numbing commercials. The newer Sonic Blue-branded models have a TV/DVR button that lets you bypass the Replay's tuner and use the TV's tuner instead, like all VCRs have had for years.

I had a 30-hr Showstopper and gave it to my folks when I upgraded to a 4160 model. I've never regretted it, and they love the SS.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi Rick LV,

Where were you going to get the Showstopper. I have been looking all over the place, both on-line and B&M and no one has any!!

Thanks,

Gerry

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up a SS at a Sears Service Center here in southern CA. Go into a branch and have them check inventory for floor models, etc.

When I made the purchase the staff really didn't know what it was. Neither did the public; the box had been sitting there for nearly a year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerryex
Hi Rick LV,

Where were you going to get the Showstopper. I have been looking all over the place, both on-line and B&M and no one has any!!

Thanks,

Gerry
eBay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.