AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only reason that I still have my landline is for my 2 Showstoppers to dial in every night to update the TV listings. For reasons of cost and frustration with the local phone company, I would love to eliminate this landline.

So, is there any other way for my Showstoppers to receive the TV listings. I thought that connecting through my cell-phone might be a possibility (even if the download would have to be done manually each time). Is there any hardware available whereby the Showstoppers and cell phone can connect and make this work?

Or is there any other (fairly straightforward) for me to tell the phone company to Go To H_ll, while still keeping the full functionality of my Showstoppers?

I've been told that something can be rigged up using my PC, but I would need specific instructions on how to accomplish this. Please note that the showstoppers and my PC are in separate rooms, although the room with the PC does have a working phone jack in it.

If it matters, my cellphone provider is Verizon Wireless and the cell phone is a Samsung. I would gladly change the phone (and the cellphone provider, if necessary) for another model if there's a fairly straightforward solution for this out there.

Any help with this or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know enough about cell phone to help. You mention using your PC, do you plan to use your regular phone line, then, network your PC and Showstopper?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
There are adapters that will allow you to plug your cell phone into one of the phone outlets in your house and use all the phones as you did before only over the cell phone. Search the web.

There are also cables that you can hook up to your cell phone and use it as a modem. This would be more complicated and possibly not possible with a Showstopper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The adapter that you mentioned that plugs into the house phone jacks sounds like it might be promising.

I'd like to search for it on the web, but I have no idea what they would be called.

Do you know what they're called, or a useful phrase to search for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm pretty sure these aren't exactly what Wrecks is talking about. However, I've been looking into getting one of these:

RCA Docking System

Motorola SD4500 Cordless Phone System

Both of them allow you to dock a cell phone and use it via other cordless phones (sold by RCA and Motorola respectivly) around the house. Both are pretty new and I've seen them sold at Circuit City. Neither of them support a lot of different phones.... yet.

These links might not help too much, but could give you a good starting point.

Personally, if you have Showstoppers and want to get rid of the phone line, I'd look into selling them and picking up some 55xxs instead. They natually support networking and don't need to use a phone line.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Not exactly sure how those two work but Dock-N-Talk™ by PhoneLabs should do the trick, if it supports your cellphone.

Probably need to manually net connect while the phone is docked.

BTW if you try these let us know how it works. :)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL
Not exactly sure how those two work but Dock-N-Talkâ„¢ by PhoneLabs should do the trick, if it supports your cellphone.
This might be a problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Dock-N-Talk FAQ
Dock-N-Talk FAQ item#21 21. Does Dock-N-Talk work with modems, fax machines, security systems, credit card readers, Tivo, Direct TV or other satellite TV systems?

Digital voice networks do not support modem or fax tones. Older analog service will allow use of modems at very low speeds and fax. The Dock-N-Talk will work with certain devices that use DTMF to transmit information such as various makes of security alarm systems. Certain credit card readers, Tivo, Direct TV or other satellite TV systems will only work if your cell phone supports an analog service or communicates using DTMF.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
And the only way to find out what the phone supports is to try it?

With the modem speed panel set of course. ;)

BTW I agree with Ace987 the ideal solution is to convert to 5xxxs. :cool:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Duffer,

Do you have broadband internet? The 5xxx suggestions are assuming you have an internet connection in the house other than dial-up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DavidMP,

Yes, I do have broadband internet (Comcast cable), and I have considered upgrading to another RePlayTV unit in order t drop my local phone company. I was going to put this in another thread, but since you asked, I have a number of questions about this:

1. I have a (wired) router attached to my PC but I do not use it in a network. It's strictly used as a hardware firewall. If the PC and router are in Room A (upstairs) and the RePlayTV is in Room B (downstairs), how does the RePlayTV unit connect to the internet?. Does it just hook-up to the cable jack in Room B, as is the normal case to get a TV signal, or is more involved than that? I imagine that it has to hook-up to the router somehow, right?

2. If it has to hook-up to the router, is there a way of doing it without a) converting to a wireless router, or b) running another cable between floors (which I do not want to do)?

3. I haven't kept up with the latest RePlayTV models/technology. Which model would you recommend and what is the monthly charge? (My current showstoppers have no monthly charge.) How do these latest RePlayTV models work with Digital Cable and/or the upcoming change to HD signal? (Note: I have only analog cable now.)

Any links to the latest RePlayTV models/prices/vendors would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
1,2. It needs to connect to the internet via ethernet, either wired or wireless with a wireless bridge. Sounds like wireless would be the easiest route, but is also the most expensive, with the additional cost of the wireless bridge ~$75 last time I checked.

3. $12.95 monthly charge. No high definition recording. I don't think replay has an HD model. Many prefer the 5000 models if you can find them which feature commercial skip, which was eliminated on the later models. They will record analog or digital cable. You would need to use the IR blaster if you have a cable box.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks
There are adapters that will allow you to plug your cell phone into one of the phone outlets in your house and use all the phones as you did before only over the cell phone. Search the web.

There are also cables that you can hook up to your cell phone and use it as a modem. This would be more complicated and possibly not possible with a Showstopper.
Does anyone know if the cell phone docking system will work for the replay units without a ethernet connection? Also I would hope you would not have to have a land line phone service for this option?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.