AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some people are suggesting that the sampo codefree dvd players might work with(play thru) the showstopper...does anyone have both to try before i buy one :D

i guess u can disable macrovision on some sampos (they are vcr friendly) I don't know what the showstopper would do

what the heck did they even put the video in's on the stupid thing for....

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Uhm, most of us use them for satellite receivers.

If your DVD player doesn't output a Macrovision signal, then the Replay will not see one. Sounds pretty simple when you think it through....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reason i was asking was that on a previous post i made someone said that the macrovision is on the dvd media itself...i didn't know if it was 2 different types of macrovision....one from the hardware and one from the dvd itself....

i was wondering if the macrovision on the dvd player was disabled(it might stop one form) and the other signal (on the dvd) would get sent to the showstopper....i need a new dvd player anyway but don't want to buy what i don't need, would rather go to a local retailer so i could return it if i have probs...

thanks....

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toomuch
some people are suggesting that the sampo codefree dvd players might work with(play thru) the showstopper...does anyone have both to try before i buy one :D
toomuch are you seeing one somewhere to buy?

I want that 631 to hack the IDE on the flash reader but the only place I see it is direct from Sampo for $250. Is it sold as some other brand? I thought these were supposed to be cheap DVD players but I have heard they were better quality than the Raite. Hopefully pic_micro will return to answer our questions but I think he had the 620. Anyone??

·
Registered
149 Posts
They have some Sampos here at world-import . I have one. It plays Region 2 discs okay, but when I play old black and white DVD's of Danger Man the picture seems to slowly get brighter and darker over and over. I don't know, maybe it's my imagination. The weird thing is that, while it seems to have no problem playing DVD's from any one particular region, when I put in a region free disc, it doesn't recognise it. I get a "No Disc" message. I just play such discs on my Sony PS2, but it's extremely annoying.

P.S. I only have RTV branded units, not a Showstopper. Sorry.

edit: fixed grammar

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toomuch
reason i was asking was that on a previous post i made someone said that the macrovision is on the dvd media itself...i didn't know if it was 2 different types of macrovision....one from the hardware and one from the dvd itself....
Macrovision is encoded into VHS tapes, so VCRs don't need to be specially programmed to add macrovision onto the output signal, but it's different for DVDs. There is a flag stored in the DVD itself that says whether MV should be added to the signal, it's then up to the DVD player to add the MV. If you have a DVD player that let's you turn MV off, there won't be any MV on the output signal.

Also, just FYI, macrovision-strippers don't usually work with the Showstopper because unlike VCRs, which are fooled into reacting to MV, the Showstopper is actually looking for it, so even though you might clean up a signal sufficiently to record it using a VCR, if the Showstopper detects even a trace of MV, it will react to it, hence it's name! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.