AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Sony Surround Sound system with the main purpose (I thought) being playing DVD's. MY DVD player is hooked into my Surround Sound receiver, but my Showstopper is not.

I've had my Panasonic Showstopper for almost 2 years, and have always just played the sound (and video, natch) through the TV.

I've recently read that a number of TV shows are now broadcast in 5.1 Surround Sound. My TV signal comes in over analog cable. Does that mean that I could now receive these shows through the Surround Sound system? If so, I'd like to run them thru the Showstopper. Does a 2 year old Showstopper support 5.1 Surround Sound?

If so, any special tricks to be aware of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Well, it probably will give you better sound but I don't think it will be 5.1. Remember, though, that you need to have the sound go to the speakers from the replay, orr you'll have a like 4 second lag between sound and video.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You won't get 5.1 surround, that requires a digital connection (you would need a cable box with digital audio out and of course, the Replay/Showstopper has no digital audio in). You will, however, get Dolby ProLogic, which is pretty darn good for TV. If you have a ProLogic II decoder, it will sound pretty darn close to 5.1.

I've been slogging along with an old surround system that only supports Dolby ProLogic. Every once in a while I consider getting a new system, but I just can't cost justify it since I don't watch that many DVDs.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Yeah the only way to get 5.1 is with some digital source, directv, or HDTV, that's about it.

The best you'll get (as mentioned above) is Prologic, which isn't bad, but isn't 5.1.

Of course, who's using 5.1 anymore?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.