AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Panasonic Showstopper 3000. I ordered and will be receiving this week, a Sony DirecTV High Definition Receiver along with a Panasonic DVD recorder. I just learned that all High Definition receivers are equipped with Macrovision.

I know the Showstopper doesn't accept Macrovision signals. I had hoped to output the Showstopper to the DVD recorder to archive favorite shows. Do I have to buy a new Sonic Blue ReplayTV in order to accomplish this?

Are the new Replay TV's equipped with Macrovision rejection?

If anyone else has been down this road already as has some advice, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Showstoppers had the MicroVision code removed.

You'll probably go directly from the receiver to the DVD recorder.. otherwise you would be encoding the signal twice.

·
Registered
607 Posts
well the showstopper will now record stuff that has a macrovision signal in it, but when playing it back, it will also play it back with macrovision. so if you're dvd recorder won't record a macrovision encoded signal, you'll still be out of luck.

now...just because the HD receiver is "macrovision equipped" doesn't mean every TV signal you receive will have macrovision encoding. in fact, i BELIEVE (but am not sure) that regular analog TV can have macrovision encoding sent along with the signal.

ideally you could get a new replay with ethernet support, pull the mpeg2's off via ethernet, then burn those to DVD using your computer and a DVD burner. then at least any re-encoding you might do would be all digital, rather than digital->analog->digital->analog->digital

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.