Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The unit: PV-HS1000, 80gb Maxtor drive

Symptoms:

Watching live TV--lots of 2-3 second "No Signal" messages, 3-6 per minute.

Watching recorded show--Frequent pauses/skips, but many times if I rewind, I can play through the troubled section just fine.

Watching recorded show and recording live--Unwatchable. Too many skips, video eventually freezes, unit does not respond to any remote buttons except "Power" (video disappears). Once the live show is finished recording, operation returns to normal.

------

This started about four months ago, very infrequently the video would freeze and I would have to reboot. My first thought was heat; I removed the cover and moved the unit away from my cable box. Still infrequent locks/pauses since then, but only recently has it become severe.

I can't imagine this is related to heat, is it old age? Low memory? (FWIW, My memmeter reads 185/226k) Could all this be related to a weak cable signal? My picture is perfect, and this happens even on digital cable channels where the box never loses the picture.

Would a 777-Zones have any chance of helping things? What else can I do from the unit that might help the problem?

Since I upgraded my SS, I've gone from a desktop computer to a laptop, so now it's not as easy to pull the drive out and diagnose it.

Thanks in advance for any help. It's kind of tough not being able to watch and record at the same time--only time I get to see my shows is while nothing else is on!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Generally speaking, skipping, freezing, and progressive deterioration of functionality almost always is heat-related in ShowStoppers. And once your hard drive is corrupted by heat, simply reducing the heat in the unit won't solve the problem. You're best bet is to use RTVPatch to re-image the drive. My guess is that this will solve your problems.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I can't say as I agree... Sometime a simple reboot can fix all the problems you mentioned. Sometimes a 777-reset does it too.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I can't say as I agree... Sometime a simple reboot can fix all the problems you mentioned. Sometimes a 777-reset does it too.
True if it was just a crash or simple corruption... but usually something causes those. The no signal screens suggest something else yet?

If the drive was baking like that for 4 months... then it may require RMA'ing (replacing) the hdd. PVR's are a rather unforgiving environment. Is the EZ-bake off now? How long was it on this drive?

Try the 777- reset first and if within a week or two it's back to doing the same thing, the ultimate step is to replace the drive.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
My first thought is your hard drive is junk. If you still have the original put it in and you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out to be his hard disk. He went through the pain of replacing the disk and it worked fine after.

He just upgraded to SonicBlue 5080 last week and retired his original PVHS 1000.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that's exactly where I'm headed--upgrade. New models are getting into my price range finally.

I took the EZ bake off when I first upgraded my SS--whenever it was brand new, what was that, early 2000/late 1999?

Did a 777-reset, which seemed to really help, but once the drive got a few shows on it, same stuff started happening again. Got to be the drive, I'm thinking.

I actually have an extra 80gb drive that I borrowed from work, but I no longer have a desktop computer to use to prepare the drive. (d'oh)

BUT, once I find a computer to borrow so I can setup the drive, I'm going to put the new 80gb in; if that fixes everything (sounds like it will), I still get to upgrade, and I give my ShowStopper away as a great x-mas gift!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.