AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the ranks of happy Showstopper owners, and I am now dying to upgrade my hard drive. I have the smallest of the 3 models, the 20 hour "model 1000". I see no mention of my model here in the threads that I've poured over, so I'm wondering if anyone (everyone?) knows if my model can be upgraded?

I'd also be interested in picking up another Replay cheaply if anyone hears of one.

Thanks,

Drummer Geek Mike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sure thing. I've done it. Best thing in the world.

:)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
There are several flavors of ReplayTV units.

There's the ReplayTV 1000 series you don't hear much about.

Then there is the ReplayTV 2000 series, which is not software compatible with the 3000 series. ReplayTV 2010's and 2020's are in this series -- not sure if there are other model numbers.

Then there is the ReplayTV 3000 series. ReplayTV 3020, 3030, and 3060, and Panasonic units PV-HS1000, PV-HS2000, and PV-HS3000, and the PVR/TV combo are software and hardware identical; aside from differences in flash sreens and in macrovision treatment they are the same (the software contains both sets of flash screens).

You can use a ReplayTV 3020 hard drive/ hard drive image on a Panasonic PV-HS-2000 and vice versa, but you cannot use the same drive on a ReplayTV 2010. Running ReplayTV software on a Panasonic does not change the flash screens, and does not bypass the macrovision protection.

The ReplayTV 4000 series, of course, will be totally different hardware/software than the 3000 series.

Joe

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid I'd have to be very specific. It's just that nobody else here seems to specify more than just 2xxx or 3xxx so I thought I'd get away with saying model 1000. To be precise, I have the Panasonic/RePlay Showstopper PV-HS1000.

That said, it looks like I CAN upgrade it, if I understand you correctly, Joe. The HS1000 is same as the Replay 3000 series and the HS2000 and HS3000.

I was aware of the macrovision difference due to research on other posts I'd read. That doesn't matter to me since I have a "black box" to resolve those issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just upgraded my Panasonic PV-HS2000 last night! Added a Maxtor 80GB HD to mine to make it a dual-drive system. I used the RTVPatch program for Win2000 under Windows XP... as mentioned in previous posts, it takes some 5-10 min pauses during the process but it worked GREAT!

I also added some fans like mentioned here... a 60mm fan on the side pointed at the power supply and a 90mm fan next to the easy-bake lid aimed up. :)

Closed it back up, plugged it in and it came up and recognized the additional space IMMEDIATELY! :D

Thanks to everyone here who has posted their experiences! I have been reading this forum for several months now and it made my upgrade a WHOLE LOT easier!

·
Registered
321 Posts
The HS-1000 can definately be upgraded, that isn't a problem. However, since you said you just got it you should wait until it has downloaded the latest software version (3.0 build 107).

This can take up to a few weeks to download (it is a large download). To see what version of the software you have press 411 Zones on your remote.

Your best bet to find a cheap SS is to hit up your local Circuit City/Best Buy and see what kind of deal a manager will give you. Based on experiences of people here this can vary widely but people have gotten amazing deals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.