AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Panasonic PV-HS1000. A couple weeks ago, I stopped getting channel listings. As others have suggested, I cleared my channel guide and did a forced net connect. However, after about 20 minutes or so, I get a message, "There was a problem transferring information from ReplayTV service. Try again later." This happens right after it displays a "Checking for new hard disk recorder software" message.

I've tried this many times, with the same error. Very frustrating. Before I cleared the channel listings, at least I could still do a manual record. Now I can't do a thing. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wonder why these are all doing this lately? I was gonna give my Showstopper away to family, but if this is something thats gonna keep popping up...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lowered the modem speed and changed to two different local phone numbers, but still get the same error. Anything else I can try?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem with my Panasonic. However I get a message saying that the server did not answer the phone. I have tried every phone number on my list and tried force connect over and over and have yet to get a connection. FYI I am in the 415 area code part of the world.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sleepwatcher
I am having the same problem with my Panasonic. However I get a message saying that the server did not answer the phone. I have tried every phone number on my list and tried force connect over and over and have yet to get a connection. FYI I am in the 415 area code part of the world.
Cold boot the recorder to clear the modem then try again (unplug for 1 minute).

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgt
I lowered the modem speed and changed to two different local phone numbers, but still get the same error. Anything else I can try?
I don't know why it would disconnect at the checking for new software part.

I suggest you cold boot (unplug for 1 minute) right before performing the net connect. If you still have the problem perform a factory reset (777 zones). You will lose all recordings and must run setup again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I lost the channel guide after Saturday's (1/31/04) nightly upload. I live in the 650 area code, next to 415. I tried doing the net connect and although it made a connection, it failed to download the channel guide info. I'll try changing modem speed tonight and do a cold boot. I have a Replay 3000 and I'm wondering if the channel guide download problem has anything to do with where we live.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same problem with ss2000. Check your messages. If there are a bunch of "unable to connect" messages with a date waaaay in the future, then it's the same old server snafu at Replay. The last time this happened, I called Replay and they didn't know anything about it. I called Panasonic, and they identified the problem immediately and in a couple of days the problem was solved at the Replay server end.

Rober

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can add me to the list of this occurrence. I am in the 925 area code. Ifsomeone gets a fix, please post results.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The fix should be to delete channel guide via 243 zones. The unit will dial in automatically (I think) or you can force the download using 243 zones net connect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting that everyone with a problem is in the SF Bay Area. I think we have all area codes represented now. I'm in the 510 area code. I tried a cold boot, but still get the error. I'll try a factory reset tonight and try again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the cold boot and 243? connect and I am back in communication with the server. My biggest fear with Replay is one day having the guide gone.

The PVR on my computer uses TitanTV for its guide and I even have an alternative site that supports the TV Guide as input to its programing.

My Showstopper seems to be rock solid other than the occasional net connect glitch. (knocking on wood here)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I started getting a bunch of "unable to connect" messages with a date of 11/16/2010 8:42pm on my TV/Replay combo unit just today in area code 804. Cleared the channel guide and did a 243 zones and it fixed itself. This was the first time it's ever happened to me and it had me worried for a sec :) Thought I had lost my service or something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem in the 615 area code (Nashville). I deleted the guide in 243 zones, checked the channel guide to confirm the error message, and then forced a connection. It did not work the first time I tried it. It worked the second time I tried, though. I think the only thing I did different was not bringing up the channel guide (albeit empty) between deleting the guide and forcing the connection.

BTW, this is on a showstopper.

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm ready to throw mine into the dumpster. I've tried clearing the channel guide, lowering the modem speed, doing a cold reboot, and doing a factory reset. When I try to rerun the setup, it goes along like everything is fine, then I get a "Network Connect Error".

It's living up to it's Showstopper name. Time to go to Tivo?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgt
Well, I'm ready to throw mine into the dumpster. I've tried clearing the channel guide, lowering the modem speed, doing a cold reboot, and doing a factory reset. When I try to rerun the setup, it goes along like everything is fine, then I get a "Network Connect Error".

It's living up to it's Showstopper name. Time to go to Tivo?
I'm stumped as well. It should be a phone line or local server problem. That's why 33.6 or lower modem speed was suggested. You could take the recorder to someone else house, preferably across town and connect just to see what happens. Another option is to select a long distance number (with modem speed set below 33.6) to get away from local servers. If it stays connected its not a software or hardware problem.

If the connection continues to fail overwrite the operating system with a downloaded disk image. After that the only option left is to repair the modem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the suggestions Mikeyboy. I appreciate your help.

It doesn't seem to be the modem, since it connects to the server and does most of the downloading. It seems to fail at the end when things are wrapping up. During one attempt, it actually displayed a "Disconnecting" message right before a Network Connect Error.

I'll try putting in a long distance area code and zipcode for my initial setup and see if it helps. If it still doesn't work, I'll try loading my original disk image from when I upgraded to a bigger hard disk early last year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.