AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drive in my old Showstopper is starting to flake out (fair enough, it's nine years old) so I've been trying to replace it with a new drive. I got a WD 1600AAJB; I know they're problematic with 5000s but I read here that the older models were fine.

However, anything I do just leads to endless reboots from the "Please Wait..." screen. I've copied the drive directly with disk copy hardware, copied the software image, and installed a downloaded image with both RTVPatch 2.5.3 and 2.4. (All on Windows XP; the linux boot disk is too old for my hardware and I couldn't get RTVPatch to compile).

I've tried the disk jumpers as both master/alone and CS. I imaged the disk both directly on my IDE bus and with a USB connector. In case Windows messed up the partitions I completely zeroed it with the WD disk tool and re-restored it from scratch.

The old drive still boots, so the machine's hardware is still fine. Is there anything else I can maybe try other than finding another HD to test with? I'm really at a loss. That drive may well be it since it's the only point of consistency but I'd rather not spend more money without some certainty it's really the problem.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
When you run RTVPatch on the drive, does it show it as ReplayTV hard drive with 160GB capacity?

Putting a fresh image on the drive should be pretty simple. Be sure you download the correct image for your model ShowStopper. In RTVPatch select the drive as target, click on Restore Target Drive and select the image that you downloaded. Then, be sure and patch the drive...

Henry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, once it was restored and patched it was a 160 GB Replay disk. I made sure to patch it whichever image or RTVPatch version I used. At first I told the patcher to keep my MPEG data but later I let it delete it in the hopes of just getting it to boot at all.

I used the image extracted from "Showstopper&replay30xximage3.02.zip" which is supposed to be correct for all the Panasonic units. I also tried a copy of the image copied from the old drive, and got exactly the same behavior.

I found an old 40GB IDE drive around the house so I'm going to try that tonight or tomorrow; maybe it was just the 160GB WD drive that's the problem. That's about the only idea I have left.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/17032298

When you run RTVPatch on the drive, does it show it as ReplayTV hard drive with 160GB capacity?

Putting a fresh image on the drive should be pretty simple. Be sure you download the correct image for your model ShowStopper. In RTVPatch select the drive as target, click on Restore Target Drive and select the image that you downloaded. Then, be sure and patch the drive...

Henry

Does one have to tell a Capacity-Critical RTV / SS that it's only 137 GB instead of 'patching the whole thing?'

Can one even do that?

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa /forum/post/17033632

Does one have to tell a Capacity-Critical RTV / SS that it's only 137 GB instead of 'patching the whole thing?'

Can one even do that?

I was wondering the same thing! Although, I was thinking that it should at least still boot because the system partition would be the correct size, only the MPEG partition would be too large. I noticed that replaytv.us uses 140GB drives instead of 160GB, although those are still a tad too big...

I guess asking Mikeyboy or someone else in the know is the way to go...

Henry

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/17033655

I was wondering the same thing! Although, I was thinking that it should at least still boot because the system partition would be the correct size, only the MPEG partition would be too large. I noticed that replaytv.us uses 140GB drives instead of 160GB, although those are still a tad too big...

I guess asking Mikeyboy or someone else in the know is the way to go...

Henry

Or one could find some obsolete controller (like the one in my old P3 or P4) that suffers the same capacity limitations that the RTV does, and use that device to patch....

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I look at the partitions on the disk, it's actually partitioned to only 137GB. One 300Mb partition and then one big one to 137GB. The rest was just empty.

My guess is that RTVPatch was still just reporting the disk size as seen by the disk controller (160GB), not the partition size it created (137GB). I couldn't find it with a quick look at the source, and I'm not at the machine with the drive hooked up now to check.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekullbe /forum/post/17034894

When I look at the partitions on the disk, it's actually partitioned to only 137GB. One 300Mb partition and then one big one to 137GB. The rest was just empty.

My guess is that RTVPatch was still just reporting the disk size as seen by the disk controller (160GB), not the partition size it created (137GB). I couldn't find it with a quick look at the source, and I'm not at the machine with the drive hooked up now to check.

I ordered three of these myself, only to find none would boot in a showstopper. I only tried these WD1600AAJB in showstoppers and 5000/5500 series recorders. My guess is WD updated the firmware so now the AAJB drives are incompatible with showstoppers and possibly the rest of the replaytv models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help, everyone!

The old 40GB drive I had in an external USB housing works fine in the Showstopper now, so I just swapped the WD into the USB housing. I didn't end up with the gobs of space I'd hoped for, but ten extra hours plus stability is good enough for me.

I wonder what's so weird about some drives that the Replays don't like them. It's out of my expertise but I'd think that the interface standards would be pretty nailed down by now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts