AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the strangest problem. I use the IR blaster to change the channels on my RCA Direct TV box. It doesn't always work. About 50% of the time, especially when the channel has not been changed in awhile(more than a few minutes), it will not pick up the first or second digit in the channel to which it is intending to switch.

For instance, if it tries to switch to channel 285, it will actually changes the RCA box to 85 or 5. It is always the first or both the first and second digit it loses. Once it messes up, it wil almost always get it right the second time when I do it again. But occasionally, it will take a third time.

It seems like the RCA box is slow to respond. Like it is in some dort of "Sleep" mode. And it doesn't wake up until it gets some input. By then, of course, the first digit or two have already been sent.

Is this a know issue, is there a configuration for this in the RCA box, or do I have a defective unit.

Thanks,

Rich May

BTW, I am not the copyright police. In my last post I asked a question about getting shows off the showstopper. Of course, someone who might have something to be paranoid about suggested I could be the copyright police. Come on guys, do you really think the copyright police are after the guys that record "Friends" so their friends can watch it when they come over? Or that they are even after the guy that records a PPV show so his friends can watch it when they come over?

NO!!! They are after the people that duplicate and mass produce those copies for profit.

·
Registered
640 Posts
>They are after the people that duplicate and mass >produce those copies for profit.

Well, maybe. With current court action, they are after examples of the (alleged) improper use of the rtv4k for just that purpose. The court case is against Sonic Blue and the 4K specifically, not the off shore DVD forgers. They want to nip the PVR market in the bud, so anything is fair from their point of view.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had (have) this issue occasionally. If you search for post by user name you can probably find the thread. Short answer, there are some adjustments you can try which are listed in question 76 (under Tweaker). I thought this worked for me, but then it happened again. It only happens like once a month (but of course when it screws up a show you really want to see, that's a lot). I was a little confused by the FAQ directions, because it says to increase the setting, but I didn't know by how much (by a 100 by 10, ???)

Someone else posted a suggestion that you adjust the sticky IR thingee (I know, too technical :)) so it's only half way on the DirecTV box and not directly on it, that this would work. I tried that a few weeks ago and I haven't had any mishaps yet, but it hasn't been long enough to judge if it's a permanent solution.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the exact problem with my IR blaster and the RCA DTV box. It's probably not the box, its the IR code. After I changed it, it worked fine. I'm at work, so I dont have the code handy, but I will get it over the weekend and post, if someone else beats me to it. When mine didnt work, I think it was the same as yours, it didnt recognize the even numbers, just the odd.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Can't you use the serial cable and connect it to the low speed data port? I have an RCA DSS and have been using the serial port for years and have literally never missed a channel change. -mk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.