AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ShowStopper works great with all of my cable channels (direct analog cable, no cable box), except the Comedy Channel, on 69. That channel only has a lot of noise on the audio (sounds like the ocean waves). I think I get the same thing on my ATI All-in-wonder, but TV's and VCR's get the audio just fine on that channel.

Has anyone else heard anything like this ? I'm sure that my cable company will claim that if the TV's and VCR's get it fine, the problem is in the receiver in the ATI and ShowStopper. Maybe the cable company audio modulation is slightly out of spec, but I have no relevant test equipment.

\\chuck

·
Registered
615 Posts
Are you listening to the TV's and VCR's through the same audio equipment as the Showstopper? Just wondering if maybe the bad audio is coming through the cable but isn't as noticeable through the generic tv speakers etc.

If not that, all I can think of is to mess with some signal amplifiers or reduce the amount of splits to see if you can get it to improve.

Sorry I don't have any magic fix.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Usually the tuners work 100% or not at all. You could experiment and do a factory reset 777 zones. You've got nothing to lose except your recordings. If you have a spare drive install that one to see if the problem goes away. If it does 777 zones should correct the problem with the first drives software.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are separate cables from the Replay to the TV, but because it's just one channel that has the problem, I strongly doubt that cables are at issue. All other channels seem fine. I thought my Replay tuner might have a weakness until I found that I hear it on both the Replay and the ATI card (both get essentially the same RF feed as the other boxes).

Oh well, I'll guess that the cable company might be slightly out of spec on how they are modulating that channel onto the RF. If I ever want to record that channel, I can use the tuner in the VCR to feed the Replay.

\\c

·
Registered
154 Posts
Perhaps one of your neighbor has one of those "receiverless wireless cameras" or something similar?

I use to have one that transmitted to Channel 59 (I think - perhaps it was 69). It would trounce whatever was already on that channel, just like a modulator. If you were on the fringes of one of these, some of your cables and/or tuners may be picking up that interference, while other, more shielded or further away cables in your house would not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
re: wireless camera - interesting thought, thanks. If that's the case, I can't imagine there's anything I can do about it. The ATI TV tuner card is in the basement, which is probably about as far as I can get from interference. Again, if I really ever want anything from that channel, I'll tape it via the VCR, so I'm not completely SOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.