AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Panasonic PV2000 - five weeks old - has started rebooting a lot. Panasonic tech support had me do the [restore factory defaults] item on the 777-zones menu, supposedly would fix everything. A swap-out unit is at LEAST two week out. {$%#^$!}

After I set everything up again and got the channel guide, I watched about three minutes of live TV before it bonked again. Hard disk makes a quiet "clunking" sound just before it resets.

If I pick up a hard disk tomorrow and am stupid enough to void my warranty [grin], will I be able to get the OS off the disk that I have? If not, does anyone have the drive image of this beast? I want it up and running in less than two weeks!

What utilities would I need? I'm in a primarily Windoze environment, but can build a Linux floppy as well.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
i can ftp the file you need to you...e-mail at the address in my profile

all the info you need on how to do the hack/upgrade can be found here

you can only use windows if you have Win2K, although i think someone has said that it works (slowly) under XP

if not you'll have to use the linux boot disk method

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
If I pick up a hard disk tomorrow and am stupid enough to void my warranty [grin], will I be able to get the OS off the disk that I have?
I think you could likely get everything you need off your drive since it doesn't start rebooting until you try to access partition 2 (mpeg partition) Follow the upgrade directions and copy (mirror) the system partition and patch and that may do it. But if it reports any errors then it won't work. You (the boot disk that is) may not even be able to mount the drive if the error is severe. If you've messed with Tivo you could just dd the 1st 350 megs "noerror" to the new drive and then patch because it sounds the your error is on p2. But if RTVPatch can't make sense of your old drive then you will need to d/l that image from lizard_boy and get that onto your new drive using some of the the linux/tivo juju. There are good directions for all this @ those links. Hey go for it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.