AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back before the 3.0 software update I had many issues with "no signal" on the SS connected to my Explorer 2000 cable box. After changing the way my coax was distributed and adding a booster I still had occasional problems. The 3.0 software update seemed to fix the problem entirely and I've been running smoothly since. Up until this past week, that is. For the last few days, I have been getting the blue screen on any channels below the HBO (600+) range. Those high channels are fine, but I can't tune anything below that. I did a 100G upgrade about six months ago which has worked fine as well. I thought perhaps the faster disk was causing heat issues as a hard reboot would fix the problem for short periods. Now I've put a fan on top pulling the warm air up and out and I still have the problem. It is just so reminiscent of my experiences prior to the 3.0 upgrade which fixed it the first time, that I'm curious if anyone has had similar experiences or has any suggestions for me. The software is a February build, I believe, but I don't know when that last changed.

Thanks!

Blaine

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You say rebooting fixes it temporarily. I wonder if you are running low on memory. Look at 243 zones - memmeter. Is it above 150/155 or so? If not delete some replay channels and/or repatch with RTVPatch2.2.2. to free up memory and see if the blue screens go away.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I could count on you Mikeyboy! You helped me out with my last problem too. I'm not at home right now so I can't check the memory but will as soon as I get home. Is the later patch you mentioned the "large cluster" one that has been discussed lately? I can run the patch without disturbing recorded shows, right?

I got an 80G Maxtor yesterday that I'm going to put in my wife's SS and move her 30G drive to my 3020 (companion to the 100G SS) so I might as well do it all at once. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Switching to large clusters will wipe away all recordings. 100 gig standard clusters size drive does consume more memory than large clusters but not a major difference. When you hack the replay into the 160 gig and above range then large clusters really pay off.

Memory may not be the trouble but if it is delete replay channels to

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, got home and checked the meter. It was showing 265k/269k. I deleted a bunch of Replay channels and I'm down to 30. Did a cold boot and my numbers are the same. I don't remember how the meter reads. Is that 265 out of 269 is used? As I'm sitting here I decided to delete a few more replay channels. After about the third one, she locked up and was unresponsive to the remote for about 30 seconds. I'll pare down some more and reboot. I'd do the patch tonight but I have shows I'd like to watch first and not enough time to either watch or patch. Hopefully I can get it to limp along til I can catch up.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Doesn't look like memory was the problem. Those are excellant memmeter readings. Could your cable reception have gotten weaker? Are the RF cables in good shape?

To experience no signal detected screen you would need to see pathetic memmeter readings like 70/anything or so.

Even with large clusters you won't see better memory readings than you do currently, sorry.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing has changed with the cable. At least not within the house anyway. I did send an email to the headend guy at the cableco as to whether anything might have changed on their end. No new hookups, all good RG6 quad cables. The splitters/amps in the house have not changed for two years and both seem to be functioning. None of the other TVs or Replays have been affected either. I am really at a loss now. I'll wait til Monday to see if I get an answer from the cable guy that sheds some light. If not, I may just go ahead and redo that drive back to the software I got from you last time I had a problem. It worked miracles then, maybe it can do so again.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I tried redoing all the connections, using different inputs and God knows what else last night. I did a couple short hard boots on the Explorer 2000 as well with no luck. In my forgetfulness, as I put things back in place, I forgot to reconnect the power to the cable box again and realized it after I was all done. Lazy as I am I let it sit that way while I used the other Replay. About a half hour later I got back in there to reconnect the power on the Explorer and lo and behold I got signal back on the lower channels again with the SS. I built new AV cabinets this past winter and the cable box ended up having only about 3/4" clearance above it (so the Replays could have more) and I'm wondering if the heat may have affected it as it just warmed up here last week. Everything was still working fine this morning so I'll keep my fingers crossed and the AC on I guess.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've have that problem off and on ever since I got my showstopper. It usually only occurs during and between commercials for me but lately I've been more aware of all those little "glitches" that result when it blanks out for a few seconds during the actual program. At first I though THAT was seek errors or something on the hardisk but now I know better.

I suspect that it's the cable or some noise that's transmitting with the broadcast signal. It would be interesting to monitor signal strength and stuff at the instants that the replay thinks it has no signal. I'm hoping that when I switch to Digital it will go away. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.