AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who's looking at buying a Showstopper 2000. The seller says that it has the original software version 2.0 and needs to be sent to Panasonic to upgrade to 3.x. My question is, the software upgrade can be taken care of with a newer image copied to the HD, right?

Thanks,

RB

·
Registered
106 Posts
I saw that one on Ebay. I was considering buying it but I already bought two showstoppers in the last couple of months. I asked a question about this a while ago and general consensus was all showstoppers software version issues can be corrected by re-imaging the drive. One of the showstoppers I bought would not connect. I re-imaged the drive with a the correct image and I'm in business. That's good for your friend because the shipping will be free on that showstopper. I guess the guy doesn't know how to do this. Hope this helps out and I'm sure if someone disagrees with what I said they'll let us know.

Don

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You suppose Panasonic uses RTVPatch or do they own use their own imaging program. If they do, how come a copy of that program never leaked out.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
This Showstopper must be "stuck" at some intermediate software version and still reports 2.0. True 2.0 can not connect and download guide data as the seller claims it did. Reimage will fix it.

Why would Panasonic offer a free software upgrade to an out of warranty Showstopper? I find this claim suspicious.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm with you on that one Mikeyboy. So hopefully the winning bidder knows how to do this or they'll be a little upset.

Don

·
Registered
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Why would Panasonic offer a free software upgrade to an out of warranty Showstopper? I find this claim suspicious.
When they first came out, a batch of Showstopper 60 hour models could not successfully upgrade themselves to 3.0 no matter what the end user did (barring reimaging the drives :) ) I believe the solution for those was to send it back and they would do it for you. I personally exchanged mine and the second one I got upgraded fine. Could be one of those units. Maybe Panasonic would still do it? Or it's old info.

--

Daniel

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
This Showstopper must be "stuck" at some intermediate software version and still reports 2.0. True 2.0 can not connect and download guide data as the seller claims it did. Reimage will fix it.

Just found a still-sealed new-in-the-box Panasonic SS 2000 on the shelf at a local Sears. Was going to upgrade it myself, but the Panasonic factory center was 10 minutes away. I took it over there, they took out the SS, shipped it to the repair center in Elgin, Illinois, and I just got it back w/ a factory upgrade to 3.0.

Already have two, one upgraded to 120 hours with Mikeyboy's help(thanks again) so someone is getting a nice Xmas present.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.