AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MyHD cannot acquire a signal while SageTV is running. Why? I don't know. I can receive and play TV with both WinTV (through a PVR-250) and MyHD running, but when SageTV is up and running (even in Sleep mode: not recording or displaying TV), MyHD starts and says "NO SIGNAL FOUND". That's a deal-breaker for me. I need the capability of recording SD broadcasts with the PVR-250 while I use the MyHD MDP-120 to view/record HD programming. Anyone know of a solution for this (other than forget about SageTV)???

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone on the SageTV forum pointed me to this thread , and I followed the instructions to modify the mmc/ignore_encoders entry in the sagetv.properties file. Then I ran into a SageTV error, as reported in this other thread .

Bottom line: I still can't receive/record/play two TV signals, one through SageTV and another through MyHD. This appears to be a pure software problem since, as I reported earlier, WinTV does not behave this way.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I just installed a PVR 250 and am also trying Sage. I tried SnapStream and did not like it (great graphics and intuitive but ..... a lot of issues for me).

Anyway, I've been following your saga so keep the info coming.

I'm sorry but I have not a clue about your current dilema.

DFA

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried a suggestion by one of the SageTV guru's. The results were less than encouraging. I think SageTV is pretty much out of the running at this point.

Quote:
I tried SnapStream and did not like it (great graphics and intuitive but ..... a lot of issues for me).
DFA: what sort of problems did you have? I tried Snapstream for an hour or so, and didn't care for the PQ, but the interface seemed less cluttered and convoluted than SageTV. I will give it another try tonight. Maybe there's a way to tie ffdshow to it or something.

I just wish WinTV recordings were playable through the WinTV software itself. I don't mind having to schedule them myself, but having to view them through another piece of software isn't really convenient. Also, though I get none of the errors SageTV gives me. I noticed that having both WinTV and MyHD running and displaying a TV signal (non-fullscreen) concurrently causes the MyHD picture to stutter. So, I don't think recording with WinTV while viewing with MyHD is a viable option.

This is all quite disappointing. I was hoping to more seamlessly integrate all my TV viewing with the use of the MDP-120 and PVR-250 cards, but apparently, that's a pipe dream. At this point, I'm almost ready to yank out the PVR-250, feed my analog signal from the cable box into ANT2 of MyHD and being done with this whole mess.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an interesting quote from a Snapstream forum thread :

Quote:
my only guess between your problem with myHD and sage was that sage uses overlays to display video and that was probably pissing off the myHD software, snapstream does not use overlays for display, it uses DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) and uses your video card to assist in decoding with the use of 3rd party decoders
Things are looking dubiouser and dubiouser for SageTV in the eswrite household...

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
You can do the same thing with Sage you know... use the latest Intervideo decoder from Hauppage, and the reg hacks on the support page to enable DxVA.

-MP

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaah, reg hacks. Well, at least I don't have to go a-diggin' through the SageTV button maze :). I might give it a try right before I uninstall.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Do give it a try. I think it gives a better picture quality than the Dscaler plugin myself. The only issue then becomes CPU usage. I'm interested to see what you think of Snapstream. I have the MyHD120 and Sage also, but not both to the point where I'm scheduling recordings on one while I watch on the other. That was next on my list of things to tackle.

-MP

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see, I'm your trail-blaizing Guinea pig ;). Just to double-check, are these the hacks you're talking about?

Quote:
I just found a nifty registry setting that cut my CPU usage in half and made the deinterlacing beautiful when using the Intervideo NonCSS Video Decoder for Hauppauge as the selected Video Decoder in SageRecorder/SageTV.

I'd highly recommend trying this if you have the Hauppauge hardware; I'd also like to hear results. The only requirement is that your video card has some sort of MPEG2 acceleration. Nearly all of them do now.

Just change these registry settings to 1 while SageTV is asleep or you're not watching video in SageRecorder, or they both are shutdown:

HKLM\\Software\\Intervideo\\Custom\\Hauppauge\\VideoDec\\Dxv a

HKLM\\Software\\Intervideo\\Custom\\Hauppauge\\VideoDec\\Hwm c

For the newer decoders the location is:

HKLM\\Software\\IviSDK4Hauppauge\\Common\\VideoDec\\Dxva

HKLM\\Software\\IviSDK4Hauppauge\\Common\\VideoDec\\Hwmc
source

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Mush pig, mush :). Yep, those are the ones. Thanks for trying it, hope it works.

-MP

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I believe SageTV (if it is using it) releases the overlay when it is in sleep mode. It should definitely be in sleep mode while you're watching HD.

If you have WinXP then the default settings for SageTV do NOT use overlay at all, rather the VMR9 video renderer.

I believe that the poster from the Snapstream forum is confused.... overlay and DXVA are not an either/or thing. DXVA uses some of the video card's resources to decode the MPEG2 data.... it can be used or not used, but it is a completely separate issue from whether one uses VMR9 or overlay.

One of the best things about VMR9 is that multiple video renderers are supported, whereas only one overlay window can exist at a time. If both apps are set to use overlay, then one of them has to be in a mode that releases before the other one will be able to display video. So, if you don't have XP and both apps must use the overlay, then make sure myHD is properly releasing the overlay as well.

Follow the instructions in the SageTV thread.

Good luck. No matter where you go, you'll probably experience better support if you write with a tone that lacks hostility.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm running Showshifter + MyHD. But I only let ShowShifter use overlay - I'm taking the MyHD output directly to my projector, so I need to switch inputs on my PJ in order to see what MyHD is showing.

At least the MyHD OSD is fair...

I'll be moving the MyHD to a separate machine soon for other reasons though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, here's what I did. I enabled VMR9 (Default)--it was in overlay--and I still could not get MyHD to run concurrently. Then I performed the registry hack for the Intervideo video decoder, and finally, MyHD and SageTV could run concurrently. However, even though I am using the MyHD tVGA-component output (not going through the video card) and SageTV outputs separately through the VGA card, both MyHD and SageTV performance is sub-optimal. MyHD displays some jaggies (not many), and SageTV is choppy. I have a Radeon 9000 and an XP Athlon 2000+ running on a NF7-S nforce2 motherboard, so I shouldn't be underpowered for this. I will try Snapstream next and see how performance compares.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You might consider verifying that both the MyHD card and the H. 250 have IRQs that aren't shared with other devices.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both the PVR-250 and MDP-120 have their own, unshared IRQs, 16 & 18 respectively. FWIW, the Radeon 9000 also has its own unshared IRQ, 19. And for our next trick?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think those numbers are in the ACPI range, meaning that they are virtual IRQs assigned by your OS. It is possible to assign all IRQs in BIOS on most motherboards so you can be very choosy about which devices are assigned unshared, hardware IRQs. If you want to follow this trail, you can search for ACPI and APIC, the results of which would provide background on this subject as well as instructions for how to turn off this Windows feature.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
I think those numbers are in the ACPI range
operative word is "think".... this may not be so, since you are probably confusing ACPI and APIC.... on newer motherboards, designed for NT/2000/XP, you will find that you can select APIC, an Advanced Peripheral Interrupt Controler, which doubles the number of hardware interrupt channels.....

:cool:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Jim. I have no idea what the difference between ACPI and APIC is, so, yes, that was the operative word.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do have a newer motherboard, an ABIT NF7-S, but the only setting I can find there is for ACPI, which has nothing to do with IRQ sharing. I already was foolish enough to disable ACPI once and re-install Windows. I'm not going down that road again. If anyone can point me to the APIC setting on my motherboard, it would be nice to know, but I doubt very much this is an IRQ issue since using another application, namely WinTV, does not hinder MyHD. IOW, this is a software issue.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As an update, I tried Snapstream again last night, and it is simply unworkable with my setup. The fact that they disable my [Gyration] mouse once I select either Windowed or Full screen leaves me with an unworkable setup (I don't want to use the keyboard, except for rare maintainance). I had other issues with it, such as working it in with Powerstrip: I can launch it with a custom resolution, but when it exits, it leaves itself running in the tray, at which point it is nearly impossible to right-click on it to terminate it for good, since the tray is not visible in my custom resolution (and this is necessary to properly account for overscan on my TV).

As for SageTV, it seems to work okay now while MyHD is recording. I haven't tried watching MyHD while SageTV records, but if that test passes, I might jump on the SageTV bandwagon.

I still find that WinTV produces a more pleasing image quality (which I can't reproduce on SageTV, even while using the Intervideo decoder with all the default settings), and it seems to work very well when MyHD is recording. I just wish it gave me a nicer recording solution, including playback of recorded material in-application. I'm probably missing something, but is it possible at all to play material recorded with WinTV in the WinTV application?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.