AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Showstopper that has always worked fine until recently. Last week I recorded a program, using the program guide, from 10 pm till 11 pm. I added 5 minutes to the end of the program. When I got up the next morning, the machine was still recording and there was a red "Rec" mark at the lower right hand of the screen. That's the first time I've seen that while recording a show.

Last night I did a manual record from 10 pm - 11 pm and when I woke up in the middle of the night, it was still recording.

I had to hold the power on button down and reset the machine to get it to stop recording. Any idea why this is happening? It doesn't do it all the time.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
This is not a typical showstopper malfunction. Any chance the recorder is getting zapped by static electricity from someone walking across a carpet then touching it? Other than that I assume it's caused by a software glitch.

Try cold booting (unplug power for a few minutes).

If it still does it, perform a factory reset by pressing 777 and then the "zones" button within 5 seconds. Follow the prompts to restore factory default. You will lose all recordings and must run setup again.

If it still does it, the software may be slightly corrupted. You might want to replace the disk image (operating system) with a downloaded one or drop in a "ready to install drive" available from me or Lizard_boy.

If it still does it, the motherboard is probably defective.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Are you sure you didn't get the AM and PM mixed up in the manual recording? If you accidentally set it to record 10pm - 11am, that's what will happen. This mistake is pretty easy to make. If you create the manual recording in the morning, the start and end times will initially both be AM. It's easy to remember to change the start time to PM, but forget to change the end time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.