AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this HDTV stuff; what hardware do you need to watch the HBO and Showtime HD channels on digital cable? There are no component-video or RGB connections on the back of my cable box to feed the signal to an HD monitor. Is an additions set top box (DTC100 or something) needed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
time warner has a HD box, the Scientific Atlanta 2000HD. I've been waiting for one for almost two months, so hopefully they're a little better where you are than they are here.

hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mike is right, I've had mine for about 6 months and it's great. When you order digital cable they will bring the standard box unless you otherwise specify. Ask for the high definition box. They'll trade it out for your existing box, no extra charge. It has component outs. Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In some areas Time Warner is only beta-tesing HDTV and it isn't truly an option to request. I'm not sure about Cary, NC but in Charlotte it's limited at the moment to beta testers...

The TW HD boxes are truly very limited - I worked on getting one for over three months too, and only received it last month. I have two sources that will work on HD (one projector, one direct view) and could only get one box right now that I have to move around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
DFW,

Being from Charlotte, I would like to know how many hdtv broadcasts can

you receive in Charlotte. Also do you have any idea when Time Warner will

release the hdtv receiver to the general public?

------------------

Will D. Davis

·
Registered
42 Posts
New guy

I,ve been using the TWC EXPLORER2000HD box now for three months. HBO is great in HDTV> showtime only has one hdtv show a day, the rest are 4/3 upconversions which I do not watch. CBS is really good when it's on, the problem is there equipment locks up every 2 or 3 days .

richard

[This message has been edited by richard-s (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
richard-s,

I have TWCInci. I'm on the list for an SA Explorer 2000HD; they claim they'll start installing boxes this month.

How did you get one 3 months ago? Are you a beta tester, or did they actually start the rollout in Lebanon 3 months ago?

And is there a monthly surcharge for the 2000HD (vs the 2000)?

------------------

James

DVI/HDCP and DFAST are Pure Concentrated Evil!

·
Registered
74 Posts
TWC Houston uses a two stage set up. The first box is your "regular" digital cable STB (in my case Motorola/GI). The output from your cable box is then fed into a HD decoder (again GI in my case). The HD box decodes HD and DD5.1 as necessary, with alternative component-video or RGB output to your TV. If the signal from the cable box is not HD, the decoder passes the signal through. The box also has seperate audio outputs for "regular" audio, as well as decoded digital audio. I think that the box functions well, although the signal occasionally drops (particularly on HBO). the loss of signal could be due to the transmission, rather than the decoder of course. The charge is $3.73 for each box (i.e. 2 boxes are neeeded for HDTV, only 1 for digital cable).

·
Registered
42 Posts
JAMES

Yes I one of less than hand full of testers.

When I read about TWC starting this service in other cities on AVSFORM last OCT> I asked to BE FIRST ON THE LIST>

THEY CALLED and ask to test their set up.

I talked with one of the engineers this week and they plan to roll out the service some time this month. BUT THE UNITS ARE STILL IN VERY SHORT SUPPLY.

RICHARD

·
Registered
105 Posts
richard-s,

Thanks. Do you know if there will be a monthly surcharge for the 2000HD? I've heard conflicting reports. Some people say there is none, others say it's around $3/month. Any idea?

------------------

James

·
Registered
42 Posts
JAMES

Yes but I do know the exact amout. I was told somewhere around 2-4 dollors a month.

Since my box is a test unit, it still has old software and not all p- guide functions work. THE SOFTWARE is still being woked on. It is to be down loaded to all boxes when finished. So far HBOHD SHOHD & HD-12 are on, CH-9 will most be next.

RICHARD

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks, Richard; good info.

------------------

James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.