AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled the plug on showtime HD and disconnected the service. The reason is that for the month of December there is not a single new movie on the schedule that is being shown in HD.

When they did have have new material it was just 1 or 2 a month. This is just not worth subscribing too when compared to HBO.

bb

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It is worth it to me. At least I can record those 1 or 2 new movies, along with all the others they repeat.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Thanks for a specific thread title, NOT. Had I known it was another thread on Showtime moaning and groaning, I wouldn't have wasted my time looking at it.

I'm glad to have Showtime HD and will continue to subscribe.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I like sho HD and will certainly continue to subscribe. I was just on their website and I filled out a survey about the picture quality of showtime, the number of channels I receive, and whether DD5.1 adds to my viewing pleasure... A simple questionnaire that took less than 5 minutes and I was able to tell them that the only reason I subscribe is because of HD.

http://sho.com/schedules/

look for it under other schedule options

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Yeah, no offense bb, but OK, great, so you pulled the SHO-HD plug. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do now...

I wish SHO would show more movies I want to watch - and less original programming - but it's still worth it to me.

I've watched several movies over the last couple weeks alone that I wouldn't have otherwise if not in HD on SHO. For instance, last night the wife and I stumbled upon "Heartbreakers" by accident just as it was starting. Watched the whole thing and laughed quite a bit more than we were expecting to. J Love Hewitt in HD is a very good thing btw...:D

·
Registered
28,202 Posts
No offense Linux, but while Odyssey 5 may look stunning in HD, and kudos to Showtime for offering it that way, it's quality as a TV show, both in terms of writing and plot development, leave much to be desired. IMO, a complete waste of Peter Weller's talents. But that's been discussed at some length on this board before....

Where Showtime really shines is their commitment to broadcast their true-HD movies in OAR, thereby offering the version the director intended and having the side benefit of a sharper, crisper HD image over HBO's pan & scan offerings, which are zoomed and therefore fuzzier. I applaud them for that and will continue to subscribe based largely on that farsighted and viewer-friendly policy.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Showtime-HD pulled the plug on me. I signed up for Showtime when they started offering the HD channel. DirecTV reimbursed me for the $40 cost of the Sat C kit I bought previously and then they started offering them for $8+. I subscribed for two or three months and then decided that there wasn't enough decent HD content on Showtime and cancelled. I continued to get Showtime-HD for at least a couple of months until earlier this week when Showtime-HD pulled the plug on me and I now no longer receive it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
For me, the problem with ShoHD (and HBOHD) is the lack of a satellite compatible HD recording solution. (I know that some people here can record with a dish 5000 modulator or 169Time mod, but I don't consider these available and practical solutions for most people.) Without the ability to time shift, I'm stuck with a window between 8pm and midnight MST (10pm - 2am EST) where I can actually watch something "live". In any given month, there are maybe 1 or 2 decent HD movies that fit this time slot.

As for original programming, IMHO Jeremiah is a the best that showtime has to offer. It is much better than Odyssey 5, at least in terms of the depth and complexity of the story. While it is currently being upconverted on ShoHD, I have read that next season (starting in a few months) it will be filmed and broadcast in full HD.

I really tried to like Odyssey 5 - but with each passing week the plots just became weaker and weaker until I finally gave up on it...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got to agree with Linux23 on Odyssey Five. I'd add that Jeremiah & O5 are the main reasons I pay for Showtime.

To Archiguy regarding your non-specific criticism of O5: I can't think of a SciFi show that ever got things completely right in it's 1st season. O5 ain't doing to bad IMO. But I think I've said this before too...

·
Registered
83 Posts
The main attractions to SHO were HD, OAR and SG-1.

Without SG-1 I am 1/3rd away myself, anyone from Showtime lurking ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I HATE SHOWTIME, but I refuse to drop my subscription because it makes up 2 (SHOW-E & SHOW-W) of my 7 HD channels. That is nearly 30%.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
28,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crouser
Got to agree with Linux23 on Odyssey Five. I'd add that Jeremiah & O5 are the main reasons I pay for Showtime.

To Archiguy regarding your non-specific criticism of O5: I can't think of a SciFi show that ever got things completely right in it's 1st season. O5 ain't doing to bad IMO. But I think I've said this before too...
That's more or less true Crouser; even Babylon 5, the gold standard for TV sci-fi, improved the second season with minor casting changes. SG-1 came very close, however, and has gotten better with each passing season as the actors became more comfortable in their roles. But there's one sci-fi show on the tube right now that's absolutely nailed it; unfortunately it's suffering from anemic ratings (due to a bad time slot and the network's under-promotion) and may not last the season. That's Firefly on FOX. Nearly perfect in every aspect: writing, acting, pacing, directing. And it integrates the special effects more seamlessly into the overall plot line better than any sci-fi show I've ever seen, IMO. It and SG-1 are the only decent sci-fi on TV right now. If you haven't seen it, check it out - two more new episodes, including the pilot, in the next two weeks; then....hiatus. :(

And due to my local FOX affiliate upconverting their 480p digital signal to 1080i, it looks sensational, the near-equivalent of ABC's 720p. I'm one of those who believes FOX will have to go full-HD in the near future; I just hope Firefly is still around by then!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.