AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, I would be watching on my new Bravia TV which does use HEVC, so that muddies the waters. I've also seen some complaints that the Amazon Showtime add-on delays new episodes by quite a bit, which would be frustrating if true.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Well, I would be watching on my new Bravia TV which does use HEVC, so that muddies the waters. I've also seen some complaints that the Amazon Showtime add-on delays new episodes by quite a bit, which would be frustrating if true.
I've always found that Amazon makes new Showtime episodes available as soon as they air on the live channel, with the exception of political docu-series The Circus, which wouldn't be available until a day or so later. There's probably also a delay in boxing matches (which air live on Showtime). Also, I'm not sure about the Inside the NFL series. But as for all other content (scripted series, movies, etc.), I've always found that stuff to be immediately available regardless of which app you use to you subscribe: Showtime, Hulu or Amazon.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
I would suspect that the Showtime add-ons are simply streaming their shows from Showtime's CDN. The PQ on Hulu is also excellent especially on shows like "Billions".

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but people are reporting the Penny Dreadful: City of Angels premiere is playing in 4k Dolby Vision on Apple TVs. That and the first season of Black Monday. I don't have an ATV, but do use the ATV app on a Fire Stick. I was able to get Picard in DV on it. But I was not able to get these Showtime shows. Please let me know if you're able to get Showtime in HDR on anything besides the ATV. Or if more shows pop up in HDR.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but people are reporting the Penny Dreadful: City of Angels premiere is playing in 4k Dolby Vision on Apple TVs. That and the first season of Black Monday. I don't have an ATV, but do use the ATV app on a Fire Stick. I was able to get Picard in DV on it. But I was not able to get these Showtime shows. Please let me know if you're able to get Showtime in HDR on anything besides the ATV. Or if more shows pop up in HDR.
No go on Roku. The Penny Dreadful premiere streamed in 1080p on my Roku Premiere+.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
I guess Showtime adding 4K HDR support for a limited number of shows shouldn't be that surprising since CBS-AA recently did the same thing (CBS is the parent company of Showtime)

* although CBS-AA is 1080p HDR/Dolby Vision...Showtime is 4K HDR

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
Now that Homeland is over and they didn't renew Ray Donovan, that wouldn't be a bad idea to keep people subscribing, especially if their series pipeline is halted for too long by the pandemic.

Of course 4K HDR will get AVSers and few other people.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have the Apple TV 4K but don’t currently subscribe to Showtime. Does it matter how I subscribe if I want to get 4k HDR? Looking for the cheapest option, without giving up quality.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have the Apple TV 4K but don’t currently subscribe to Showtime. Does it matter how I subscribe if I want to get 4k HDR? Looking for the cheapest option, without giving up quality.
It looks like it may not matter. I've seen posts (a couple quoted below) saying it's just the Showtime Anytime app on ATV. I know for Picard, I had to subscribe to CBS within Apple TV, but that may not be the case this time. I think you can get a month free trial right now.

I just noticed “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels” on Apple TV 4K Showtime Anytime app is in UHD Dolby Vision. It’s badged; DV UHD and played in DV. The first few minutes looked like HDR.

This is promising for future premium network streaming series if that’s the case.
Showtime app on the ATV was upgraded to 4K/DV. Looked fantastic! Beautifully shot. I liked the 1st episode so will definitely continue.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
It looks like it may not matter. I've seen posts (a couple quoted below) saying it's just the Showtime Anytime app on ATV. I know for Picard, I had to subscribe to CBS within Apple TV, but that may not be the case this time. I think you can get a month free trial right now.
with CBS-AA HDR support was limited to the ATV CBS-AA standalone app...not via CBS-AA through other sources such as Amazon or Apple Channels...I'm guessing the same applies here with Showtime Anytime

·
Registered
95 Posts
Showtime Anytime is for cable subscribers. You can take a looks at Showtime Now (stand-alone subscription). Other might have more information if Showtime Now has DV UHD and what decides natively support it.

This was just my experience with Showtime Anytime.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
I highly doubt that Showtime and other premium cable channels want to take a back seat with 4K. The way streaming works is you can check what the device supports and what bandwidth is available and provide an appropriate stream. So if engineers at these companies want to test 4K support it's easy to do. And on my 4K Roku TV streaming "City of Angels" had too much definition to be 1080p.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
with CBS-AA HDR support was limited to the ATV CBS-AA standalone app...not via CBS-AA through other sources such as Amazon or Apple Channels...I'm guessing the same applies here with Showtime Anytime
I was able to watch Star Trek: Picard in HDR using the CBS All Access "channel" in the Apple TV app on a Roku Premiere+.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
It was limited to CBS subscribed through Apple TV. I got it in DV using the ATV app on my Fire Stick.
so in the end it's limited to Apple TV...I'm guessing Showtime is the same...Apple must have paid CBS some extra coin...hopefully they expand HDR support...when I had my free 1 month trial of CBS-AA Dolby Vision was only available on 8 of the 14 episodes of S2 of Discovery along with Picard...I'm subscribed to Showtime through my FiOS cable subscription so I get Showtime Anytime for free

I was using the free 30 day trial of Showtime via Amazon Channels to watch Homeland because of the superior image quality but now that 4K HDR support is available for limited shows I'll be using the ATV Showtime app

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
You'd think they'd be touting it if they were rolling out 4K and DV.

These streamer boxes need to have displays identifying the media types, whether it's a 4K stream, DV, etc.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
so in the end it's limited to Apple TV...I'm guessing Showtime is the same...Apple must have paid CBS some extra coin...hopefully they expand HDR support...when I had my free 1 month trial of CBS-AA HDR was only available on 8 of the 14 episodes of S2 of Discovery along with Picard...I'm subscribed to Showtime through my FiOS cable subscription so I get Showtime Anytime for free
Unfortunately, the Showtime stuff is not available right now in the Apple TV app on the Fire Stick. I watched Penny Dreadful City of Angels last night in HD. But I didn't think to try the Showtime stand alone app. I'll try that tonight.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
so in the end it's limited to Apple TV...I'm guessing Showtime is the same...Apple must have paid CBS some extra coin...
Speaking specifically about Picard, that show is not actually graded in HDR. There's nothing in the image that extends beyond typical SDR range. The "HDR" version through Apple is just SDR encoded in an HDR container. I compared directly against the SDR version through the Amazon channel and saw no difference at all in brightness or contrast. CBS may not even be aware that Apple is encoding it that way.

What's happening with Showtime content, I can't say. The Showtime Anytime app on Roku gave me SDR for City of Angels. I haven't tried the Apple channel.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts