AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Speaking specifically about Picard, that show is not actually graded in HDR. There's nothing in the image that extends beyond typical SDR range. The "HDR" version through Apple is just SDR encoded in an HDR container. I compared directly against the SDR version through the Amazon channel and saw no difference at all in brightness or contrast. CBS may not even be aware that Apple is encoding it that way.

What's happening with Showtime content, I can't say. The Showtime Anytime app on Roku gave me SDR for City of Angels. I haven't tried the Apple channel.
I haven't watched Picard but I noticed a difference in the ST: Discovery 1080p SDR episodes vs 1080p Dolby Vision...not a night/day difference but if given a choice the easy call is the one with HDR

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Speaking specifically about Picard, that show is not actually graded in HDR. There's nothing in the image that extends beyond typical SDR range. The "HDR" version through Apple is just SDR encoded in an HDR container. I compared directly against the SDR version through the Amazon channel and saw no difference at all in brightness or contrast. CBS may not even be aware that Apple is encoding it that way.
Thank you for sharing your playback experience. I suspected that something like you described above was likely happening with some of this content on Apple hardware.

I figured if I speculated about this without having the proper hardware to do a side-by-side comparison that someone that really wants to believe they watched ST: Picard in DV or HDR would take offense. I watched Penny Dreadful: City of Angels through SHOWTIME ANYTIME app on Firestick TV 4K device and it looked really nice as a 1080p stream that was then up-scaled on my 4K television. I suspect that is what most of us are seeing with some of these streaming services that are not fully committed to 4K DV/HDR delivery on most of their original content. Maybe Apple did a study that shows the placebo effect works. Wrap it in a DV or HDR container and fire up a corresponding label on the content and we believe the picture is enhanced.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My configuration is:
Apple TV 4K
Showtime Anytime App (Spectrum subscriber)
Penny Dreadful; City of Angels

Episode 1
Badges; “4K UHD” and “Dolby Vision”

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Badges; “4K UHD” and “Dolby Vision”
same here with FiOS...with CBS-AA it was limited to 1080p HDR...it's still not anywhere close to the quality of Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+ when it comes to 4K HDR quality but it's a start and better then the usual 1080p SDR output

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
I tried watching the second episode last night as I did the week before through my Showtime add-on on Hulu. Last week it streamed fine and in 4K. Last night there must have been a pile-on as it would keep rebuffering and even did so coming back an hour and a half later. So they aren't quite setup yet for a lot of viewers on the 4K stream. I'll try again today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Both episodes of Penny Dreadful; City of Angels is now showing up as 4K on the Apple app on the Roku (It was not this way just a few days ago)

Tonight's Billions is also showing up as 4K

Most likely just a matter of time for different apps/platforms to be updated. Thankfully Apple is offering a free month trial for Showtime so can just use that and hopefully other apps update by then.

Edited to add the episodes are also showing up as 4K on my Fire Stick in the Apple TV app.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Both episodes of Penny Dreadful; City of Angels is now showing up as 4K on the Apple app on the Roku (It was not this way just a few days ago)

Tonight's Billions is also showing up as 4K

Most likely just a matter of time for different apps/platforms to be updated. Thankfully Apple is offering a free month trial for Showtime so can just use that and hopefully other apps update by then.

Edited to add the episodes are also showing up as 4K on my Fire Stick in the Apple TV app.
so it seems like Showtime is doing a better job of implementing 4K HDR across a wide range of programs then CBS-AA ever did

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
"City of Angels" played 4K yesterday afternoon just fine. There might has also been a Internet problem on Saturday night though not locally as Amazon 4K shows I watched were playing properly. "Billions" isn't "filmed" very well for 4K, mainly old style "TV" just like "The Blacklist" which was filmed 4K from the beginning. "City of Angels" has those long depth of field shots where the background is crisp or even the hospital shots where people down the hall were crisp resolution.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have Showtime Anytime on Firestick 4K and on Samsung TV Apps... am I to understand the shows will be in 4K on the Firestick version only for now?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have Showtime Anytime on Firestick 4K and on Samsung TV Apps... am I to understand the shows will be in 4K on the Firestick version only for now?
Based on comments in this thread you would only get 4K and/or HDR/DV support on Firestick 4K if you are subscribed and watching Showtime through the Apple TV app.

I have a 4K HDR/DV capable TCL Roku TV and a Firestick 4K device connected to it also and I don't see 4K support from Showtime Anytime app via Roku or Showtime Anytime app via Firestick 4K device.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bummer

Based on comments in this thread you would only get 4K and/or HDR/DV support on Firestick 4K if you are subscribed and watching Showtime through the Apple TV app.

I have a 4K HDR/DV capable TCL Roku TV and a Firestick 4K device connected to it also and I don't see 4K support from Showtime Anytime app via Roku or Showtime Anytime app via Firestick 4K device.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Just what I understood from the comments. I could be wrong.

Maybe others will comment on what hardware and app combinations are getting them 4K HDR and DV support with Showtime.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
I have a TCL Roku 4K TV circa 2016 model (SDR only) and get Showtime through the Hulu addon. "City of Angels" was definitely 4K though audio only stereo. However on my Nvidia Shield TV it is not 4K but the sound is 5.1. Go figure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have a TCL Roku 4K TV circa 2016 model (SDR only) and get Showtime through the Hulu addon. "City of Angels" was definitely 4K though audio only stereo. However on my Nvidia Shield TV it is not 4K but the sound is 5.1. Go figure. :rolleyes:
How did you know it was 4K?

I have TCL Roku TV's and with HULU one of the frustrating issues is there is no identification of video or audio quality on the detail screens of shows and nothing in the OSD of the player indicates video quality.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
How did you know it was 4K?

I have TCL Roku TV's and with HULU one of the frustrating issues is there is no identification of video or audio quality on the detail screens of shows and nothing in the OSD of the player indicates video quality.
Because I've worked with video for 30 years even 4K video encoding. My eyes can tell the difference. There are scenes in the show shot with long depth of field where objects in far background will resolve blurry in 1080p but crisp in 4K. Upscaling can't do that. I look for giveaways in shows including content on services that are not supposed to have 4K but I suspect the engineers are testing it. After all it's just a file served. When you start a stream to a user the app probes the device being served for capabilities. The probe data can be seen in the logs generated. It will also check for the bandwidth. If they want to test 4K they can easily do so.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Because I've worked with video for 30 years even 4K video encoding. My eyes can tell the difference. There are scenes in the show shot with long depth of field where objects in far background will resolve blurry in 1080p but crisp in 4K. Upscaling can't do that. I look for giveaways in shows including content on services that are not supposed to have 4K but I suspect the engineers are testing it. After all it's just a file served. When you start a stream to a user the app probes the device being served for capabilities. The probe data can be seen in the logs generated. It will also check for the bandwidth. If they want to test 4K they can easily do so.
Just curious. Was not questioning/challenging your initial statement.

I must admit that watching the pilot episode of PD: City of Angels on a 4K TCL set with Showtime Anytime app did look nice. The background shots did appear more crisp and shots with the Neon signs at night did stand out as well. But with no indication via the player UI as to what I was getting I just assumed it was a 1080p stream upscaled to 4K. Perhaps it is a native 4K stream. But with no details indicating this in the Showtime Anytime app or the UI of the player it is mostly a guessing game.

Thank you for the explanation.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
When Hulu started streaming 4K for the PS4 Pro and XBox One S they did have an "bug" on the screen saying 4K or UHD. Then they took it away. Seems that those users thought that it meant they took 4K away from those devices but I doubt that. What they probably had were support calls complaining they weren't seeing 4K on those devices. One thing you want to avoid in the industry is a lot of needless support calls as those cost. At the same time those were available for those devices some of the originals played 4K on my Roku TV though they weren't supposed to. Like I said those are just files you stream.

So to this day you will not see a designation but some devices will provide it. For instance watching Amazon on my Sony UHD X700 BD player it will give the resolution in the lower corner when you bring up the timeline but not on the Roku TV. There is a Hulu app on the UHD player but it has never been updated and doesn't actually work.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts