AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
same here with FiOS...with CBS-AA it was limited to 1080p HDR...it's still not anywhere close to the quality of Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+ when it comes to 4K HDR quality but it's a start and better then the usual 1080p SDR output
Not sure when different versions of CBS ALL ACCESS by platform will be updated, but an update to the CBS ALL ACCESS standalone app on Fire TV (Fire Stick 4K) now has Dolby Vision / HDR support for Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard. Audio is still stereo unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I get DD+ 5.1 for all the Star Trek stuff via Roku.
Like playing whack-a-mole.

Dolby Vision and HDR10 on CBS AA standalone app on Fire Stick 4K with stereo audio. Same device with CBS AA Prime Video Channel and I get 1080p HD video and 5.1 audio. Roku TV hasn't worked with 5.1 audio for me in quite awhile, yet ATMOS audio from Prime Video and Disney+ work. Go figure...

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
was checking the Showtime app on my Apple TV 4K and noticed they added some more series in 4K- The Comey Rule (4K Dolby Vision), The Affair Season 5 (4K SDR), City on a Hill (4K SDR)
Have they eventually graded up to HDR for any of the old series?

I guess upscaling to 4K is easy to do but HDR and especially DV requires a lot of manual work by colorists.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
as of October 15th these are all the latest titles available in 4K Dolby Vision: The Comey Rule, The Good Lord Bird, Black Monday (Seasons 1 & 2), The Chi (Season 3), Ray Donovan (Season 7)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
as of October 15th these are all the latest titles available in 4K Dolby Vision: The Comey Rule, The Good Lord Bird, Black Monday (Seasons 1 & 2), The Chi (Season 3), Ray Donovan (Season 7)
Man. Some 'Super Matrix' is needed for tracking some of this content.

I know from our previous discussions that you are reporting what is available on an Apple TV 4K device. And I am assuming through a direct subscription to SHOWTIME.

A SHOWTIME subscription through Prime Video Channels and running on a Fire TV 4K device does not have support for 4K HDR / DV or ATMOS. Actually, from all of the Prime Video channels that I subscribe to it is disappointing that Amazon provides no 4K or HDR / DV and ATMOS support where it may be available on other hardware platforms and through other subscription methods. It would certainly be nice if all of this support would eventually sync up across hardware and subscription methods. I think it is approaching the time where 4K and HDR / DV support should be considered a standard deliverable and not something that is 'held back' based on hardware and / or subscription methods.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Man. Some 'Super Matrix' is needed for tracking some of this content.

I know from our previous discussions that you are reporting what is available on an Apple TV 4K device. And I am assuming through a direct subscription to SHOWTIME.

A SHOWTIME subscription through Prime Video Channels and running on a Fire TV 4K device does not have support for 4K HDR / DV or ATMOS. Actually, from all of the Prime Video channels that I subscribe to it is disappointing that Amazon provides no 4K or HDR / DV and ATMOS support where it may be available on other hardware platforms and through other subscription methods. It would certainly be nice if all of this support would eventually sync up across hardware and subscription methods. I think it is approaching the time where 4K and HDR / DV support should be considered a standard deliverable and not something that is 'held back' based on hardware and / or subscription methods.
I'm guessing $$ plays a big role in what platforms get 4K, HDR etc...Amazon has a bunch of movies available for free (for Prime members) in 4K HDR such as the recent Daniel Craig murder mystery directed by Rian Johnson, 'Knives Out'

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm guessing $$ plays a big role in what platforms get 4K, HDR etc...Amazon has a bunch of movies available for free (for Prime members) in 4K HDR such as the recent Daniel Craig murder mystery directed by Rian Johnson, 'Knives Out'
I assume it has to be about money. There is plenty of 4K HDR material via Prime Video, just not through the channel subscriptions. I think I would be less annoyed if less of the video channel content didn't have 4K labels because they are available in 4K with direct subscriptions or through purchase or rental. If I wasn't triggered to think 4K was there I would be less disappointed once I click on the detail screen and realize no 4K via video channel subscription. :cry: :D

I would guess it is about the percentage cut that Amazon takes from a channel subscription. I don't know if the channel provider feels like holding 4K content back for direct subscriptions only will drive more business that way, or perhaps they are asking Amazon for more of the monthly fee if they want 4K access. Who knows? Prime Channel has been a big help in driving new subscribers for a lot of these providers, but I guess they feel high-end video quality is not something they want to let go of just yet, without additional compensation. I value the integration of all of my Prime Video channel subscriptions in the Fire TV UI over chasing 4K content across various standalone apps. My aging eyes don't get better every day and 1080p Prime Video content upscaled on a 4K TV and a 1080p LED projector on a 110" wall work for me at the moment. :whistle:

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
4K and HDR won't attract huge numbers of subscribers.

It might attract more high-income demographic subscribers though.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
4K and HDR won't attract huge numbers of subscribers.
I don't know about that. Plenty of HBO Max subscribers are a bit miffed that 4K HDR is still not available for a $14.99 a month service.

And the 4K content we were discussing is already there for services like Showtime, EPIX, Starz and others. It is not about creating 4K content to attract more subscribers. It is about what hardware platform you are using and how you subscribe that seems to control whether you have 4K access or not.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Yes, I'm referring to Apple TV 4K using the Showtime app (not Apple Channels)...I'm using the free Showtime app that links to my Verizon FiOS cable subscription...there's another version of the app for non-cable subs but I think the content is the same

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
Yes, HDR costs bucks. It's the same thing as 5.1 audio. It has to be in the budget and doesn't come free though I suppose there is or will be like 5.1 audio video plugin that create some kind of automated HDR which is not what you're looking for. Soon 1080p will be the exception not the rule.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Soon 1080p will be the exception not the rule.
1080p and 5.1 audio is the rule for most new content via Prime Video channel subscriptions. 4K and/or HDR/DV is not. But, it appears to be through cable subs or channel subscriptions from other platforms (i.e. Apple TV). Disappointing, but certainly not earth shattering. I'm sure it will eventually begin to appear in some Prime Channel content. I just have to lower any expectation about it happening in the very near future.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
1080p and 5.1 audio is the rule for most new content via Prime Video channel subscriptions. 4K and/or HDR/DV is not. But, it appears to be through cable subs or channel subscriptions from other platforms (i.e. Apple TV). Disappointing, but certainly not earth shattering. I'm sure it will eventually begin to appear in some Prime Channel content. I just have to lower any expectation about it happening in the very near future.
Amazon has stopped marking everything that is 4K. You can't go by the listing. Anyone can submit a video there though unlike YouTube it goes through a process. Many indie filmmakers submit 4K files. 4K is just another video file that is served. Some of the networks are providing 4K streams of TV shows too. They are prepping for ATSC 3.0 where 4K will be a drawing card. About anyone buying a new TV these days is likely to come home with a 4K TV.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Amazon has stopped marking everything that is 4K.
Amazon labeling of content has always been problematic. They may not mark some content that is 4K, but there is quite a bit of content that is labeled 4K, but it may be only as a purchase or rental for a higher fee, but not through a Prime subscription or Prime Video channel subscription. I subscribe to EPIX via Prime Video channels. Just about every new movie added has a 4K label attached. But, none of that content is available in 4K via a Prime Video channel subscription. It may be in the standalone app or as a purchase or rental. I have just adjusted and assume most content outside of Prime Originals in the Amazon app or not 4K.

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
Amazon has stopped marking everything that is 4K. You can't go by the listing. Anyone can submit a video there though unlike YouTube it goes through a process. Many indie filmmakers submit 4K files. 4K is just another video file that is served. Some of the networks are providing 4K streams of TV shows too. They are prepping for ATSC 3.0 where 4K will be a drawing card. About anyone buying a new TV these days is likely to come home with a 4K TV.

Which networks, which shows?

They'd have a much better chance of getting a lot of people to see the 4K versions if they gave those files to Hulu and other streamers than wait for ATSC 3.0.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Amazon labeling of content has always been problematic. They may not mark some content that is 4K, but there is quite a bit of content that is labeled 4K, but it may be only as a purchase or rental for a higher fee, but not through a Prime subscription or Prime Video channel subscription. I subscribe to EPIX via Prime Video channels. Just about every new movie added has a 4K label attached. But, none of that content is available in 4K via a Prime Video channel subscription. It may be in the standalone app or as a purchase or rental. I have just adjusted and assume most content outside of Prime Originals in the Amazon app or not 4K.
Amazon Video is terrible as far as making 4K content easy to find...to make sure I always use my computer to search for Amazon 4K content and then add it to my Watchlist to ensure it shows up in my TV's Amazon app...they have the EPIX content labeled incorrectly- it says 4K HDR but it's not in HDR (I'm not even sure it's in 4K)...the standalone EPIX app has 4K SDR which I think is correct

even for something like The Expanse Season 4 which is in 4K HDR10 there are separate listings which is easy to miss unless you are specifically looking for it...so you might just play the SDR version without realizing there is a 4K HDR version available

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Amazon Video is terrible as far as making 4K content easy to find...

even for something like The Expanse Season 4 which is in 4K HDR10 there are separate listings which is easy to miss unless you are specifically looking for it...
I agree. I wonder if any of this will be addressed when they begin to roll out the updated Prime Video and Fire TV UI? I think some of this is just a byproduct of not being a streaming only service. Having rentals and purchases and ad-supported content all at particular price points based on video quality makes for a monumental mess.

I will say that using FIre TV 4K devices and the Fire TV UI is easier to manage and navigate content than it was using the Prime Video app on a Roku device. There it was frustrating to find 4K UHD versions of content at times. Inside of the Fire TV UI they at least give you one listing for something like THE EXPANSE and then the WAYS TO WATCH button will give you SDR and 4K UHD options based on the capabilities of the device you are on at the moment.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts