AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm also looking into either the Showtime or the Studio seats. I'd have more room with the showtime for the setup I want and could do 4 seats, only 3 with studio unless I don't center them in the room and have them beside the one side wall. My question is more about the height of the chairs. Do they have adequate head support without having to slouch down in the seat. I've sat in the Berkline 099's and Lane Hollywood seats which are both nice and have plenty of height and head support. The lanes actually allow me to fully recline as far as they go and would still be able to watch movies without having to prop up my head with a pillow or anything.

Also anyone know where I can go to see any of these coaster seats? I live in Indiana, PA.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You just missed the HTAuthority Powerbuy on these seats. I grabbed 5 of them & couldn't be happier. The ebay price sounds the same as what you can get them new from Serge, 'Power' forum name. Great to work with.

I was skeptical before purchasing, but after getting them I'm very impressed. I've only had mine a month now, but everyone has commented on how comfortable and elegant they are. They are on the firm side which I like, but I don't know how much they break down over time. Heard nothing but great reviews about them. I'm 5'-8" 175lbs and have more room than I need. Armrests are plenty wide.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I purchased 5 of them also from HTAuthority and am pleased with my purchase. They are in my opinion great for the price. I have a dedicated theatre so they do not get as much use if you were to be in and out of them daily.

My only beef with them is the foot rests are too hard to close. All 5 are the same and I find myself having to apologize to my guests everytime they want to exist out of the chair and have to slide themselves out.

Perhaps someone has had the same issues and can provide a solution. I was thinking of trying wd40 but haven't gotten around to it as the smell was a concern.

I am 6' 265 lbs and the chairs fit me very comfortably.

I forgot to mention I have owned these for over a year now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I went to Bel Furniture in Houston to check out the Coaster seating today; they've got all three (Director, Studio, Showtime), but they're not marked as such, so I had to eyeball match them up with the htauthority website's photos (the Coaster Company website blows; it doesn't have a catalog).

I still like the Showtime the best - the part that supports your calves seem longer than on the Director and Studio (reclined, those two hit me at about mid-calf, the Showtime extended down to the back of my ankles). The arms are definitely lower than on the Director and Studio, and the arms are a little less "plush", but the seating surface on the chair actually seemed to have more cushion than the other two. Backs seemed to be the same on all three, except the Showtime felt like it had a higher back on it (which I prefer). The low arms didn't really bother me all that much; my arms rested at a natural position when the seat was reclined; that might simply be because of my height though (I'm 6' 2"). And the fact the arms are narrower than the other two means I'll have a little bit more room on either side between the end chairs and the walls in my theater.

One thing that bothered me was that the recline handle on one of the Showtimes was busted off. That sort of worries me, I'm not sure how you'd get something like that repaired.

BTW - on the way out, I stopped and looked at lift-top cocktail tables - I've been planning on getting one as a glorified uber TV tray, but I haven't found a design I liked yet. Well, I found one there - nice cherry wood veneer that matches my dark maroon theater perfectly. I checked out the tag on it - "Coaster Company".

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM /forum/post/0

My only beef with them is the foot rests are too hard to close. All 5 are the same and I find myself having to apologize to my guests everytime they want to exist out of the chair and have to slide themselves out.

Perhaps someone has had the same issues and can provide a solution. I was thinking of trying wd40 but haven't gotten around to it as the smell was a concern.

Mine are hard to close as well. It is a good workout trying to get them closed. I have to close just about everyones for them before they can get up. I have looked and I can't seem anyway to adjust them
Other then that I love them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I noticed you really have to work hard to close the recliner mechanism as well when I checked them out this weekend; I'd forgotten about it until I read pkonold's response. You can get them down almost all the way fairly easily, but as soon as you let up leg pressure, they'll pop back out again. The last couple of inches until they snick shut work your hamstrings pretty good.

I'm guessing this is the price you pay for the ability to fully recline with only 3" of clearance to the back wall - there's probably some seriously heavy duty springs under tension in there to force 200lb+ of your typical couch potato forward to a horizontal position...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well even though they are hard to close, I still do not regret my purchase.

They were by far, much less expensive than anything I could find. And I think the value is certainly there when you consider the price.

·
Registered
91 Posts
still looking for a place in my area to try these out...store or individual who has them in their home. Indiana, PA...about an hour east of Pittsburgh.

Thing is I am a salesperson at a Furniture store and we handle Lane, Berkliine, and Coaster. We previously had a set of Lane's that had horrilby low headrests(not the Hollywood series), have had the Berkline 099's for about 3 years at the store, but never had the Coaster's...but I did hear we are getting a set from Klaussner in soon. But the price of the Coasters is just sooo much cheaper...cheaper in Leather than others in fabric by a large amount.

And prices online seem even cheaper or just as cheap as I can get with my discount. I did notice in the pricebook for Coaster that the west coast dealers can buy these chairs for substantially less than dealers can on the east coast.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunAway /forum/post/0

still looking for a place in my area to try these out...store or individual who has them in their home. Indiana, PA...about an hour east of Pittsburgh.

Thing is I am a salesperson at a Furniture store and we handle Lane, Berkliine, and Coaster. We previously had a set of Lane's that had horrilby low headrests(not the Hollywood series), have had the Berkline 099's for about 3 years at the store, but never had the Coaster's...but I did hear we are getting a set from Klaussner in soon. But the price of the Coasters is just sooo much cheaper...cheaper in Leather than others in fabric by a large amount.

And prices online seem even cheaper or just as cheap as I can get with my discount. I did notice in the pricebook for Coaster that the west coast dealers can buy these chairs for substantially less than dealers can on the east coast.

Well, it might be cheaper because the Coasters are "leather match" instead of all leather (as you probably already know, leather match is where only the seating surfaces are real leather; the rest of the chair is vinyl dyed and grained to match). Leather Match is fine with me because my theater has no windows; I don't have to worry about direct sunlight fading the leather match pieces to a different shade than the real leather pieces, but other people might have an issue with that...

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah...my current leather sofa/love is leather/vinyl. No need really to have all leather unless you are going to be touching the vinyl as the oils in your hands, etc makes the vinyl crack over time, but other than that even leather fades in the sun although at a different rate and to different colors. I may be leaning towards microfiber this time just for my wife. We'll see though...the house still has to be built.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm just curious what exactly smells you would have in your house to be absorbed into the seating??? I had microfiber for over 6 years and never had any odor problems. But it sounds a bit humerous and I start wondering about things like smoking, cat pee, etc. Please explain your problems so my mind stops wondering.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We had a dehumidifier tank bust while we were on vacation and the carpet soaked up the water and stank really bad. We got rid of the carpet but the couch absorbed the smell. Professional cleaning, sitting out in the sun, febreeze, etc, etc., nothing worked.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live within a few hours of western PA and can tell you that you won't find any coaster chairs at dealers in the Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, DC areas...at least not without a miracle. No stores in the area carry them. And even if they did, they probably would re-label them, calling them something different. The salespeople would not even know themselves that they were Coasters.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I finally got my seat and I can honestly say that the Showtimes are perfect for me. I bought them from Home Theater Authority from the AVS power buy. I had never sit in a Coaster seat or any other theater seat so I have no comparisons but these are comfortable and I don't have any issues with the recliner. Seems to closesimilar to the recliner I already have in my living room. I felt weird about ordering seats I had never sit in but I really like these.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.