AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched The Others on Showtime this evening. It looked excellent and I really enjoyed the presentation.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but what's an upconvert on Showtime? Did they use the DVD or some other 480i/p source as opposed to encoding to HD directly from the master?

I didn't take the time to do an A/B comparison with the DVD since I was so engrossed in the movie. Perhaps I would've been equally satisfied watching the disc...

(edited for spelling)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really enjoy it and think it's the best horror/thriller that I've seen in a while. Heads and shoulders above The Ring (which looked abnormally grainy in HD on HBO).

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
One place to start an "UPCON" check is http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html

It lists Others as 1080i, but such listings aren't always accurate. I'd guess upconverts are typically made from master tapes scanned originally at 480 lines. Such tapes can have horizontal resolutions >1000 lines, which aids the final format resolution for SDTV or upconverted HDTV. Providing your display can deliver them, fine details in backgrounds--grass, branches, mountains, faces, etc.--usually distinguish 1080i from 'UPCON 1080i'. -- John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.