AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new LNB - C up in 20 minutes flat. Got 543. Great.

Looks like Showtime shows only one HDTV movie per night, at 8:00

sharp.

Of course, thats eastern time, so here on the left coast, thats 5:00

sharp.

This thing is not going to be much use until Showtime gets more HDTV

going. At least on HBO I can catch the second feature of the night.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Get a BUD :D

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I watched my first HD movie (Sleepy Hollow) on SHO-HD last Saturday night at 8:00 or 8:30 west coast time. Besides, you may need that C kit for Discovery Theater eventually.

ron

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solutions:

1. Go BUD. My wife and my pocketbook aren't wild about that one.

2. Showtime can stick a crowbar in their wallets and broadcast

MORE HDTV !

3. DirectTV can put SHOWH east AND west on their satellite ! Yes,

everyone is saying that DirectTV has the capacity now, they can bloody

well stop saving that space for the virgin sacrafice channel in HDTV (tm)

and put the bleeding east and west coast feeds of SHOWH and HBOH

on the satellite.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnRichmond
I think Directv is saving space for Mark Cuban's 3 new hdnet channels and probably DiscoveryHD.
I personally would rather have these channels than a west coast feed of Showtime-HD.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mknoebel
I personally would rather have these channels than a west coast feed of Showtime-HD.
Ditto; West Coast feeds of either Showtime or HBO would be cool (I live in San Diego) but more useful would be new channels. I hope we DirecTV'ers don't end up with more HDNet channels instead of DiscoveryHD; HDNet is great to have but based on what I've seen of HDNet, there isn't enough material for 3 new channels unless they're sports-based which for me doesn't mean a thing.

DirecTV will be making a *big* mistake if they don't aquire the Discovery channel as soon as it's available. No one will take the BS they were putting out about "negotiations" with the Showtime HD channel, they will simply jump ship to either cable or Dish since they will know that kind of talk from DirecTV means that it's on the backburner for a year or more. Discovery HD is a family-friendly channel they can't afford not to have.

Greg

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Mark has said that these three HDNet Channels will be premium channels. Somewhere in the $4-$10 dollar range. So that gives him money to get us content. I asked Mark about the space of the satellites for a possible 4 more HD channels. (HDNet 2, 3, 4, and Disc. HD) His reply was simple, it's way too complicated.;)

Can DirecTV put 2 HD channels on one transponder without loss of PQ like Dish claims?

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Dish does not put two HD channels on one TP. I do believe they are cramming 2 and sometimes 3 SD locals on with the HD channels. This is well documented on the internet if you care to look it up on the 61.5 channel assignments. Dish may have made the claim that they can do it but they arn't actually doing it. In addition, to the best of what I can find out the Demo channel is on a TP by itself while their PPV HD channel TP has 3 SD channels on with it A Showroom Promo channel, and two Shop at home network channels.

Oh boy, Now I've done it! I'll bet there will be all sorts of speculation on how superior DirecTV looks since it still only assigns a full transponder to each HD channel. And, there will be those who will refuse to watch the DN PPV because the picture is too compressed. LOL.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Yeah I still cant believe putting 2 1080i channels on one transponder wouldnt be without issues. There'd have to be, otherwise how in the world do you explain that nobody is currently doing it. Like they're not all always looking for extra bandwidth where ever they can find it?

That said, heres my conspiracy theory as to how they'll start putting 2 HD channels on one transponder (and feel free to shoot it down). It might even fit in with Cubans "complicated" notation.

They'll take the incoming 1080i signals and convert them to 720p for broadcast and then let the STB's convert it back to 1080i again. 2 720p signals might fit on 1 transponder right? Theres only 920k pixels in a 720p signal vs over 2 million on a 1080i one. So if it comes down to pure picture data squeezing through the pipe that should work, right? Or not, since 1 is progressive?

And as far as the concern about all that converting somehow being noticeable to the end user, well maybe. But then again when it comes to converting 720p at least the one time when we watch ABC on our 1080i boxes, it looks fine doesnt it? At least if the source material is good.. like the Indy Jones movie for example.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Cohabitation of two HD channels on a single transponder has existed for a very long time. Please see transponder 17 . It's upstream from DirecTV and DISH so any degradation will have already happened regardless of their choice not to cohabitate upon reuplinking.

Edit: Note also though that this is transmission has an FEC of 7/8 which is significant in comparison to that of the reuplinks. This may be the reason. The initial uplink is primarily intended for headends that will have large dishes and can afford a small error correction ability. Whereas a small consumer dish cannot afford such loss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.