AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only HDTV channel to get actual 2.35 content in true 2.35:1 and their schedule is nearly empty, filled with mostly upconverted 480i crap! Why?


I have a 47" Panasonic HDTV due next week and am seriously thinking about a DISH 6000, but I don't want to pay for cropped HBO. Is SHOWTIME getting worse, because I once heard they had a lot of 1080i content.


Thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:
filledwith mostly upconverted 480i crap!
Many, including myself, wouldn't agree with your assessment of Showtime's widescreen OAR upconverts. There have been innumerable threads discussing this issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why is there so LITTLE content? Most nights there is 1 or 2 at most and that's it. Some nights there is nothing, while HBO has a full house!


And I have no idea how the upconverted content looks. All I saw was that most of it was listed as upconverted and not 1080i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
According to someone from Showtime (a VP?) who appeared on Dish Network's Tech Talk a while back, they do not have HDTV rights to many of the movies & programs they buy. He stated that they are now trying to ensure that all new contracts they negotiate with the studios include HD rights.


------------------

Peter
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,158 Posts
Do a search. Jerry G is right. Original programming in 480p upoconvert is pretty good. There has been an upswing in HD content (see HDTV Magazine or free guide services that distinguish). Sho sound (DD included) is much better on Sho than HBO. A good upconvert will beat a bad HBO transfer (if they are truly HD).


Having both is definitiely a boon, and HD OAR DD on Sho (e.g., MI:2 - though not the best movie) on big hits is pretty enticing.


Tim

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's really killing me is this new Firewire/copy protection BS. I buy this HDTV set and a week later, BAM, the press releases start flying. Now I wonder, do I even bother with a 6000 receiver? Will is be obsolete in six months?


Damn depressing. The MPAA can go to hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:

I buy this HDTV set and a week later, BAM, the press releases start flying.
It's kinda like washing your car, huh? Guranteed to rain.

Quote:
The MPAA can go to hell.
They are not welcome in my town!



------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,414 Posts
La Verkin, Utah has made it illegal to support the U.N. in their town...

how about a campaign to ban the support of the MPAA in our cities http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ?


------------------

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.

"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33,592 Posts
Matt,

That was one of the reasons I switched back to DTV after trying Dish. I too was diappointed with the lack of true HD on Showtime. My logic, as yours, was I bought this HD equipment for HD, not upconverts. However, with the total standstill at DTV with HD, I wouldn't rule out giving Dish another try. I'll probably make a decision during the fall. If DTV has done nothing additional with HD by then, than I'll reconsider my move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am assuming to get OTA I need a DISH type receiver with the added module. HDTV's don't have the built in equipment, right? I have the 47" Panasonic (or I will next week).


Otherwise I could get ABC and CBS HDTV from local stations. Of course, ABC has, what zero HDTV?


CBS, while they do have great HDTV output, they must be about 39 driving miles away from me and this is CT, with hills and valleys, so would their HDTV signal reach me? I am renting and could not put an antenna on the roof, so how can I get the signal? I can put one in the attic (which is about 4 feet high).


Did CBS broadcast SURVIVOR in HDTV last Season? It's the only show I watch on Network TV (Ally Mcboring sucks now). Although I'd probably watch EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND in HDTV, since what I have seen is pretty funny.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:
I am assuming to get OTA I need a DISH type receiver with the added module. HDTV's don't have the built in equipment, right? I have the 47" Panasonic (or I will next week).


Otherwise I could get ABC and CBS HDTV from local stations. Of course, ABC has, what zero HDTV?
You need an OTA module to get OTA (analog & digital). CBS HD is extensive. ABC has some special events but mostly movies but very good sound (here in Boston) but with commercial breaks.

Quote:


CBS, while they do have great HDTV output, they must be about 39 driving miles away from me and this is CT, with hills and valleys, so would their HDTV signal reach me?

I am renting and could not put an antenna on the roof, so how can I get the signal? I can put one in the attic (which is about 4 feet high).
You have a real good chance of getting reception without major obstruction. Attic antennas work. See www.antennaweb.org to check what signals you can get and recommended antennas, but go up one notch in size if in the attic.


Quote:



Did CBS broadcast SURVIVOR in HDTV last Season? It's the only show I watch on Network TV (Ally Mcboring sucks now). Although I'd probably watch EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND in HDTV, since what I have seen is pretty funny.
No Survivor in HD. Check out programming forum for next year.


Tim


[This message has been edited by rudolpht (edited 07-31-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply.


When you say next year for Survivor, does that mean 2002, or this coming Fall season?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top