AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for the update. It's pretty sad though that there are only 6 programs in HD on the SHOWTIME HIGH DEFINITION CHANNEL for the entire month of November. That's about one day's worth on HBO. I think if they were to abide by truth in advertising they would just call it the Showtime Sometimes Widescreen, Occasionally High Definition Channel.

Al Keown

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Al K
Thanks for the update. It's pretty sad though that there are only 6 programs in HD on the SHOWTIME HIGH DEFINITION CHANNEL for the entire month of November. That's about one day's worth on HBO. I think if they were to abide by truth in advertising they would just call it the Showtime Sometimes Widescreen, Occasionally High Definition Channel.

Al Keown
Who cares what the labels are? I care about how they look! The fact is that most Showtime upconverts look better than most HBO supposedly-HD transfers. I'd argue Showtime is being a lot more truthful than HBO!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
alexan07,

Showtime HD is currently on Dish, not DirecTV. Every few seconds, you'll see a post from someone whose brother's urologist's second cousin's au pair, who happens to be sleeping with the CEO of DirecTV, claiming emphatically that DirecTV is mere seconds away from broadcasting Showtime HD. Alas, DirecTV has not picked up the channel, despite over 1 year of "negotiations." Ugh. Some day, one would hope, it will make it on there, but for now, Dish is the only game in town in the U.S.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
No, it's not on DirecTv but that doesnt matter because the vast majority of DirecTv users on this board dont want it anyway. Or so it seems at least based on the reactions to the question that pops up on here once a month about when DirecTv might have it.

It's on Dish, C-band and some cable co's at this time.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
It's pretty sad though that there are only 6 programs in HD on the SHOWTIME HIGH DEFINITION CHANNEL for the entire month of November.
Agreed! The upconversions of most movies are full of artifacts - DVDs of such titles are superior.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.Mike Ferrara

Agreed! The upconversions of most movies are full of artifacts - DVDs of such titles are superior.
I couldn't disagree with you more, J. Mike. And I certainly agree with Vic. Many of Showtime's widescreen upconverts look exceptional, often better than some of HBO's supposed HD transfers, and usually better than the equivalent DVD. And in general, a Showtime HD transfer beats the pants off any of HBO's supposed HD transfers.

Could you please describe these artifacts you see on Showtime's widescreen upconverts. I can't seem to notice them.

Jerry

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't really want a flame war or anything, but if you haven't seen or lived with Showtime HD, how can you criticize it? The very first thing I saw on my DISH 6000 was Sleepy Hollow. The installer sat down on my couch with his mouth wide open when he saw it. I'm of the firm conviction that some of HBO's pan and scan crap is probably either upconverted or downrezzed. I feel that Showtime is fairly honest about the processing of their various offerings. I don't think the mitsubishi hd1080 receives Showtime HD, does it?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have both HBO HiDEF and SHO HiDEF. I tune in to HBO almost every night. I tune in SHO , well almost never. I luv HiDEF and great picture quality, BUT , HBO programming is WAY BETTER! Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the record, I echo Vic's and Jerry's sentiments.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Al K

Al Keown
Don't give up hope for more. Both "Bless the Child" and "Return to Me" were in HD this month and neither one was listed that way in the version of the schedule I pulled from their web site in late Sept.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I would have to go with Home Butcher Office-High Deception and Showtime-Highend DVD. I am hopeful that Showtime can break through the walls erected by the political and economic adversaries of many movie lovers. The disparity of access to high definition material between these two giants is suspicious.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This is absolutely DISGUSTING! Not ONE single new HD movie! All the HD movies have been shown in previouls months. It looks like Showtime now longer will pay for any new HD transfers.

Upconverts don't count. As other posters noted, DVD's are better.

Bernhard

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Man E
The disparity of access to high definition material between these two giants is suspicious.
It certainly is. As we know, HBO makes their own HD transfers. Showtime doesn't. I'm now firmly in the camp of those who believe that HBO is able to provide more "HD" simply because they have succumbed to Hollywood's wishes and are degrading the quality of the transfers.

And I now firmly believe that this is one of the major reasons for butchering 2.35 movies to 1.85. It's just another way to degrade the movie. I no longer buy their story of not wanting black bars because of viewer complaints when they are putting widescreen versions of The Sopranos and other movies on their SD channels. Why aren't they worried about complaints in this case? And before anyone tells me that they have a widescreen and standard image on simultaneously on two different channels, well that's not true in all cases. There are times when the only SD choice is the widescreen one. HBO has no scruples. They have no backbone. And may people are being taken in by their supposed commitment to HD. At least with Showtime, when a movie is in HD, it really is in HD.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987

Upconverts don't count. As other posters noted, DVD's are better.

Bernhard
Some may believe this (especially those who don't subscribe to Showtime's HD channel), but most don't and can easily see the superiority of most of Showtime's widescreen upconverts over DVD.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have subscribed to SHO HD since the first day. The only upconvert that I found acceptable was "The Green Mile" and maybe this was not an upconvert at all but a mistake in their listing.

Bernhard

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
The only upconvert that I found acceptable was "The Green Mile" and maybe this was not an upconvert at all but a mistake in their listing.
That was no mistake... it was a terrific upconvert.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.