AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update - I've confirmed 4 cases where replacing the power supply eliminated random rebooting in Showstoppers. In such case you'll find numerous entries of the same guaranteed show in replay guide. Subsequent entries are created each time the recorder reboots and continues recording the scheduled show. Feel free to email me if you need a power supply.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
Out of curiosity were those 4 units single or dual drive units or both?
1 replay2004 single drive and 3 showstoppers single drive.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cterrell
Mikeyboy,

I am having this problem on my Showstopper. Where can I get a new power supply?
cterrell I have power supplies for sale. Email me using the link in my signature block and I'll reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last year I upgraded my Showstopper from the original 30GB HD to an 80GB WD 5400rpm HD. About a two-weeks later I started having the reboot problem. My unit was out of warrenty so I reinstalled the old drive, coughed up the $150 and had Panasonic repair it. First attempt they replaced the HD. Obviously that didn't solve the problem. Second attempt they replaced the HD again and updated the software. Again, same problem. Finally on the third go-around and about 3 months later, they replaced a capacitor (according to the work order sent with the unit) on the supply board (I think) and everything worked great, except I was still at only 30GB. I finally screwed up my courage (hoping the supply board problem was just a coincidence) and reformatted and patched the old 80GB drive and reinstalled it. Worked well for about two weeks then power supply problem resurfaced. I would like to fix it myself but can't tell which capacitor they replaced. Can someone tell me which capacitor on the power supply causes this problem and where I can buy a replacement. I understand Mikeyboy has powersupplies for sale but I would like to attempt my own repair first.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can test the old power supply output http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...58#post2096458 If you find the 5 volt supply drops to 4.6 you confirmed the problem. I don't know what capacitor Panasonic claims to have replaced. I expect they would have replaced the power supply instead of the repairing it. If you want to experiment I'd try replacing the largest capacitor. The spec for it is on it.

By the way performing a factory reset (777 zones) has corrected several random reboot problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Checked voltage and confirmed voltage drop causing the unit to kick into reboot. I will try a factory reset. If the problem recurs I will start replacing capacitors one at a time (starting with the large one) until I find the bad one. I will let the forum know what I find out.

Thanks for your help Mikeyboy.

PS: I would not recommend Western Digital hard drives for upgrading Showstopper units.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ruddels
Checked voltage and confirmed voltage drop causing the unit to kick into reboot. I will try a factory reset. If the problem recurs I will start replacing capacitors one at a time (starting with the large one) until I find the bad one. I will let the forum know what I find out.

Thanks for your help Mikeyboy.

PS: I would not recommend Western Digital hard drives for upgrading Showstopper units.
I don't think 777 zones will help now that you've confirmed low power supply voltage as the problem.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
FYI... I've been experiencing very random reboots (every two weeks or so) on a first gen Replay.

It turns out the problem was the 12V supply! All other posts talked about 5V problems.. in my case it was 12V....

Expect an email Mikeboy!

Robert

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Reden
FYI... I've been experiencing very random reboots (every two weeks or so) on a first gen Replay.

It turns out the problem was the 12V supply! All other posts talked about 5V problems.. in my case it was 12V....

Expect an email Mikeboy!

Robert
A new power supply is on its way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.