AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't seen it yet, it's time. If you skipped the months-long theatrical run, use the money to buy the DVD, it's a keeper.

The humor is unrestrained. Grimm's Fairy Tales and Disney animated movies are skewered with equal abandon. It's a film for all ages. I'm in that awkward period between having the last kid gone from home and the first grandkid - so I'm buying this one for me!

Technically the DVDs are reference quality in all regards. I reccomend the two-disc SE package - you can go right to Disc 2 and watch the film in 1.78:1 Widescreen and DTS sound, and give Disk 1 (4:3 Pan & Scan) to the kid of your choice.

The animation far exceeds the movies Ants and even the Toy Story films, and I personally prefer the look of this film to the photo-realism attempted in Final Fantasy - realize however that the goal was to look like a Fairy Tale - which it does.

Special feature are too numerous to mention - I'll probably never play the assorted games or use the karoake-like revoice, but the usual commentaries and "making of" material are quite good.

No need to hesitate any further.

Gary

·
Registered
488 Posts
Affirmative! What a pleasant surprise. Methinks this was made for adults and not particularly the kiddies. I have watched it twice. The humor is marvelous. A supurb dvd in all respects. I caught some things the second time around that had gone by me the first time. What a riot to watch Shrek's facial expressions, and his purposeful walk even puts The Duke to shame.

Got the blues? Get SHREK and watch them go bye-bye.

:)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Bought it the day it came out and watched it with the kids last Sunday. It was a thoroughly enjoyable and engaging movie. I agree about the humor, it's well done and will certainly appeal to a mature audience--but is fine for the kids too.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Shrek was a disappointment for me, not for the animation, but the story.

I thought Eddie Murhpy was poorly cast for one thing. I rarely found his character funny. He was just way overbearing in the film. Too much dialogue. I also thought Eddie's voice, or "street accent" just didn't mesh well with the fairy tale donkey.

Don't flame me. I know I'm in the minority on this one. It's just my most humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Definately good picture quality. Just as good as Toy Story 2, but I was expecting more aggressive audio, especially in the surrounds. Here, Toy Story 2 still retains its title hands down.

What I found funny was the extras "Making of", where they discussed how "human" the animation was and how it had not been done before and how even the hair looks life like. This, a week after Final Fantasy was released on DVD. No offense but for life like human movement, nothing beats Final Fantasy. The movement, hair, eyes, and expressions of Final Fantasy are top notch even though I did not like them adding grain back into the movie.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The visual composition is wonderful. The jokes

and references are lots of fun (though aimed more

at adults than kids--as with Antz from the same

studio). I found the opening music (over Shrek's

ablutions) rather jarring, but the rest of the

music seemed satisfying. Voice characterizations?

I liked them. I even liked Eddie Murphy fine,

though he had a better character in Mulan.

HOWEVER, there's no escaping the judgement that

the story was dull. Not just predictable--when

we watch a fairy-tale pastiche we expect it to

touch on (or bounce off) the conventions.

But this movie lacked any antagonist worthy of the

hero. Farquaad? He is a pipsqueak, and while a

pipsqueak bad-guy is okay if his henchmen or pet

monsters are formidable enough, Shrek offhandedly

disperses Farquaad's soldiers early in the movie,

so when he confronts them again later, they don't

offer any menace. The Dragon? Once we see that

even the Donkey can outrun her firebreath all

suspense is gone (if you ask me, the writers

should have augmented the quest party with some

redshirt[1] for the dragon to incinerate, or at

least scorch). Robin the Dancing Hood? Nah.

Who's left? Only Fiona, and Shrek's "dark side."

Now in a Woody Allen movie (uh, Antz again?) we

can have the hero struggle against his own flaws.

But in a fairy tale? Even if that was the plan,

in Shrek the writers didn't seem sure themselves

whether our favorite ogre was a neurotic loser

("nobody loves me") or a respectable gold-hearted

curmudgeon ("scare people? that's what ogres

do!") In any event, Shrek is too successful at

everything he does for his internal conflicts to

carry the movie (again, look at Antz, where the

"overcome yourself" scheme works pretty well).

As for the fair Fiona, she does oppose Shrek in

small things and her (traditional and quite

acceptable) "failure to communicate" sets up the

standard reconciliation scene at the end, but

she's too smitten with Shrek to be his antagonist.

In the end, no one puts Shrek to any test. And

that's the big problem with this movie.

There is a smaller problem with Fiona herself.

Her curse is too simple and its "twist" way too

obvious. In a movie full of adult jokes, why

didn't the writers do better? Suppose the curse

had been that she would become as ugly as anyone

who kissed her (until nightfall, when she would

revert to pretty girl), *unless* that kiss

came from true love--and nobody knew about the

escape clause (except the Mirror, but no one is

listening to him!)? That would have made for a

good gag with a little Farquaad-ish Fiona (after

a donkey-ish Fiona, etc.). Then she could kiss

Shrek, becoming an ogre girl because she loves

him, the Donkey could get so excited he gives

her a celebratory kiss--we get an OOPS! moment

until we realize the curse is broken because of

Shrek's true love and Fiona will stay an ogre!

Even if you don't like that suggestion, it

wouldn't have been tough to come up with a

more suspenseful curse for Fiona.

(Plus, can anyone tell me why no one calls her a

"girl ogre" or something like that? Obviously she

is one, not just an ugly human girl, so why the

ban on saying so?)

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ummmm......98CRI, no offense but you really need to turn down the analysis engine. Shrek and it's predecessor Ants are largely feature-length cartoons. It's true that the subject matter in Shrek was elaborated and embroidered upon to make it interesting to a wide span of age groups from young kids to middle-aged folks like me - but we're not talking about a Coen brothers film or a David Lynch flick or an Orson Welles movie - it's a CARTOON satirizing Fairy Tales, not a Fairy Tale itself. (To me, Fairy Tales are classic verbal folk literature for instructing the young.)

Judged as a cartoon, Shrek is great entertainment. In that regard, it succeeded well enough, and IMHO even improved upon the earlier Ants - to the point where I will look favorably upon any further films from these folks.

If you want to analyse something to death, try skewering some pretentious work such as Final Fantasy. I'm still undecided about that film - as in, is it even worth a second viewing? I doubt I'll ever find the time for such, I was so underwhelmed.

Gary

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Gary,

Thanks for echoing my sentiments precisely. There is analysis and then there is over-analysis. I would substitute "animated feature length film" for cartoon, however.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Shrek doesn't need a super bad guy, or a great quest, this is just supposed to be fun from the start to the finish, which I think it succeeds at, in a big way.

At first I didn't think Murphy's voice was right for the part either, but it didn't take long and I was into it. It's now hard to imagine anyone else doing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi everyone. It is my opinion that anyone who criticizes this movie is missing what it is all about on the visual end. The detail in this movie is outstanding. You can even see reflections in places that no other movie has been able to do (ie. Fiona in the armor and Donkey in the Lake). I did however think the sound track was a little weak. On the other hand, I have had a lot of time to digest the movie because I have watched it every day since I bought it on the release day. It is my firm belief that Shrek was fantastic!! By far the best animated film ever!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I've seen this film twice now, once at the theater and once at home, and I still don't see what the big deal is. I like a good comedy and a good fairy tale, but didn't find Shrek to be either. It has a few funny moments (the mirror dating game for instance), but overall fails as a comedy. The music pulls you right out of the movie as it is entirely inappropriate for the subject matter.

While the animation is certainly trying for a cartoony look, it is not any great technical leap over Toy Story 2 or even A Bug's Life and doesn't even approach the achievements of Final Fantasy.

I thought Shrek was an okay movie, and was worth $16.88, but it certainly isn't anywhere near the top of my list of great movies this year (which is very, very short).

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The best "behind the scenes" scene wasn't on either DVD as far as I could tell. I saw it at the Shrek class at SIGGRAPH - they shot test footage of mud actually being poured over some schmoe. They talked about this in one of the documentaries, but they actually showed it at SIGGRAPH. Howlingly funny.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I saw this movie back in the theater when it first came out, and I was really looking forward to the DVD release. Dreamworks did not let me down. This DVD is filled with an excellent looking picture quality, and a great soundtrack.

I also really enjoyed the humor used in the movie. I found that it can be funny to both adults and children. Eddie Murphy was a great choice for the donkey, and I found myself laughing at Donkey probably more than any other character.

I have watched this movie twice since I got it on the release date, and see myself watching it again in the future.

Two thumbs up. :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
As far as Shrek vs Toy Story 2, no contest - Toy Story 2 is so far above it that they are not even in the same league.

Shrek is a cartoon fairy tale, with a cartoonish villain, a cartoon princess, etc. This is not to knock it. I own Shrek and love it. I saw it twice in the theaters and will watch it many more times at home. But I'll go out on a limb and call Toy Story 2 the greatest animated film I've ever seen. It's utterly brilliant - funny, exciting, moving, thrilling.

Seriously, I can't think of another recent animated film with the power to move one to tears. But I get goose bumps and a lump in my throat just recalling the "When She Loved Me" scene, and Joan Cusack's heartbreaking line "...just go". This is not just great acting for an animated film, this was great acting...period.

Toy Story 2 has at it's heart a dilemma deeper than that faced by nearly any protagonist in any film, animated or not: Woody is faced with a choice with living forever or being loved. Ignoring the fact that Woody is a toy, it's a very deep question, one that I don't know how most of us could answer.

I know I'm not reading too much into this film, as the wonderful commentary track makes it clear that the director and animators thought about this.

So, while Shrek is enjoyable (I especially loved the shots at Disney) I don't expect it will achieve classic status like Toy Story 2 will.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I can't beleive no one has mentioned the "hidden" music video with all the characters. It can be accessed by selecting the small music note in the Main Screen (where the Donkey is jumping around). I mean Robin's men singing "YMCA" and the donkey rapping "Baby got Back" with the dragon shakin' her rump ?!? I couldn't stop laughing.

Good movie, good A/V, good extras, what more can you ask for ?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yes indeed, the "Skrek Karoke Dance Party" is absolutely a riot, and must have been very fun creating for the folks at PDI. This "Dance Party" is actually on the disc in two spots. It's actually at the end of the movie after the credits, or as LMDA1 mentioned, by accessing the musical note on the main menu screen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I am just not impressed with Shrek, and I haven't even seen it from start to finish. Let me explain why.

I won't own a video just because of it's supposed great DVD quality, just for the sake of a great picture on my TV (ok, I do get excited to watch HDTV, but I won't watch Marthat Stewart in HD, see my point?!?!)

I believe everyone knows that this movie was complete, and Chris Farley was the voice of Shrek.

Of course, his self destruction led to his own death. But, why not still keep the movie as is?!?! Why bring in Myers? What's the deal?!?! The guys dead, but I would still love to have heard him in the role, and I think that is how the guy would of wanted it also. He wanted to make people laugh and I am sure after his death, he would of wanted it that way forever. I still love to watch Tommy Boy to this day with David Space, a complete riot.

I lost respect for Mike Myers coming in, doing the voice, then having them blow $4 million to redo the animation because he thought a Scottish accent was the way to go...he has done that one too many times (Saturday Night live, I married an Axe Murderer, Austin Powers just to name a few places) and this is one more time I didn't need to hear his Scottish accent again.

It would of been a better memory and tribute to Farley and his work to leave the film as it was originally done.

Second, I have been at Sound Advice looking at some HDTVs, and they have been looping Shrek for weeks now on them. I think his big green head is burnt in most of the CRTs by this time.

I was paying attention to the TVs, not the movie, but couldn't help also to think why is Eddie Murphy casted as this character? His name and past comic triumps? The voice seemed completely unfitting, and I could think of 20 other people to do the role that are funnier than him. Maybe because of his other recent animated roles and work he has done got him the part, who knows.

Since I can't get past the Chris Farley thing personally, and didn't care for Eddie Murphy cast as the one character, I won't ever rank Shrek up very high on my list, and probably won't own the video....sorry Shrek lovers.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kebcubed
I believe everyone knows that this movie was complete, and Chris Farley was the voice of Shrek.
At the Shrek course at Siggraph, it was not at all clear that the film was "complete" before Farley died. They recorded the initial script and did the storyboards to that. But as the animation actually gets done, they come up with additional joke ideas, and additional dialog has to be recorded. The actors in Toy Story had various recording sessions over several years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.