AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Gawd that was a great transfer. The colors were there and was really much more enjoyable than the DVD (even though no special features), which was a great DVD as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The DVD has always looked, to me, like it had a soft focus. Not sure why they did it- it obviously wasn't necessary.

I just watched the end of it, and it looked like a good transfer. I think I need a bigger screen, with more resolution, to REALLY enjoy HD, though. I didn't get that "leaps and bounds above DVD" feeling. (Elite 510HD) Maybe, I'm getting used to the HD picture.:)

Todd

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Must...have...snapshot... Anyone HiPix/AccessDTV/WinTV-HD this? :)

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got the feeling it was more colorful and deatiled on my F38310 which I am in the process of selling so I can get a projector. There were some background stuff that was hard to make out in the DVD that was very clear on HBO. Example, the princess on the first night when she was in the rocks and shrek and donkey were talking about the stars, when she peeked out I thought she was normal when I was viewing the DVD but I could clearly see she was an ogre on HBO.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Good to know it's a good transfer. I am out of town so I couldn't watch it but I recorded both the 8pm and 5:30 am show (in case bad weather messes something up). Can't wait to watch it. I had tried to get a clean recording out of BEV for weeks, without luck, they ALWAYS messed up. I am assuming that the HBO version is in DD5.1?

bb

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yes it is in 5.1 and I thought is was a very good transfer.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Quote:
The DVD has always looked, to me, like it had a soft focus. Not sure why they did it- it obviously wasn't necessary.
I agree with the soft focus on the DVD. It wasn't much at all but just a tiny bit soft. The HD presentation on HBO tonight didn't look soft at all. It was an excellent HD transfer.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
Good Gawd that was a great transfer. The colors were there and was really much more enjoyable than the DVD (even though no special features), which was a great DVD as well.
I saw "Shrek" in DLP (Cinemark Legacy Plano TX) and it was fantastic. What was shown on HBOHD looked like it came from that digital version, rather than from an HD transfer of the film print version.

That's what DLP Cinema looks like... amazingly true color and clarity. Considerably better than the DVD could ever be. And the HBOHD version looked like it had this DLP digital origin.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I did notice that the audio level (standard L/R-stereo, not 5.1) was VERY low. I had to turn my volume up considerably in order to have "normal" sound.

Suspiciously similar to the same effect which frequently occurs on ABC-DT when showing HD-versions of movies (e.g. "Indiana Jones"). Don't know why the standard stereo audio should not get transferred properly, but my experience with ABC-DT is that it is quite common.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Very good transfer. Very good material to introduce others to HD.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
Yes, a wonderful presentation. I love the DVD and I've always felt that it was a near reference quality DVD but the HD was much clearer and had some wonderful colors not seen in the DVD. If anyone looked at some of Bjoern Roys work showing us what the DVD of this film looked like compared to it's potential these things come to mind. The color depth on things like the dragons face, as well as subtle details there ,were amazing to me. I just kept saying "this is what it is all about" too myself. I had this giddy feeling like " and I'm sitting in my home watching this and it looks this incredible"! If you look at lord Farquad's castle ,when Shrek first sees it ,the detail and no EE is the first thing I noticed. Edges of objects looked like edges with no halo effect. When Shrek flies off on the dragon you can make out his facial expressions as he flies away. I'm getting spoiled by HD real fast!

Art

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
Yes, a wonderful presentation. The color depth on things like the dragons face, as well as subtle details there ,were amazing to me. I just kept saying "this is what it is all about" too myself. I had this giddy feeling like " and I'm sitting in my home watching this and it looks this incredible"! If you look at lord Farquad's castle ,when Shrek first sees it ,the detail and no EE is the first thing I noticed. Edges of objects looked like edges with no halo effect. When Shrek flies off on the dragon you can make out his facial expressions as he flies away. I'm getting spoiled by HD real fast!

Art
If you ever get a chance to see it re-released at a DLP Cinema, go! It is truly amazing.

Same with "Monsters, Inc." in DLP. You will simply not believe the purity of the purple monster's zillions of hairs and their texture, and the fact that each one seems to move independently. There is detail and clarity in DLP that is just unimaginable.

Same with "Toy Story 2" in DLP. Its appearance will be so good you'll want to cry.

And this "Shrek" HD version looks quite similar.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I hope you don't miss it, it's only on 14 more times this month!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Birds flying, off in the distant sky. Bugs buzzing about. Little details that only show up in HD that add to the experience and seemingly make the show come alive.

Aren't all these CG/animated "movies" all digitally mastered in the first place anyway (before being transferred to film for theater distribution)?

ron

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Shrek looked beautiful.

(click on the link below)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I watched it last night. It looked great.

feldon23, how did you take the screen captures of HBO? I thought HDTV cards for the PC only worked for OTA? If there's a way to run DirecTV through my HTPC, I would love to do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You can get the 8VSB signal into your computer if you use a Dish 5000 & Dish 5000 modulator from Dish Network. (Modulator is discontinued, have to get it on Ebay.) This is the only way to do it. Impossible for DirecTV.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.