AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw Shrek on DLP in LA. Wow! It looked amazing! The image was sharp and clean, with no arifacts from films such as scratches, etc. The only disappoint thing was that they didn't run any previews of other movies. (Maybe some people like that.)

I walked up to the rear of the room, and tried looking at the projector unit. It looks like the pictures on the web. I noticed that it also uses an anamorphic lens from ISCO with 1.5x expansion. I guess the that makes the screen ratio 2 to 1, which seems a little narrow, isn't it?

By the way, the theater is the AMC 6 in Burbank, CA.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The SXGA chip is 1.25:1 which is 5:4. Multiply that by 1.5 or 3:2 and you get 15:8 for the total ascpect ratio of 1.875:1 which is correct for Shrek.

Shrek isn't a 2.35:1 movie.

Glad to hear you liked the movie. The theater I saw it in was a touch out of focus.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
For the Midwestern HT enthusiasts:

The TI Cinema DLP is also at the Valley View Cinemark Theaters next to Independance, OH, south of Cleveland.

Less than 2 hours from Detroit area.

As of last week, Shrek was on the DLP.

Be sure to call to verify DLP screenings, as they change evry few weeks.

I saw Dinosaur on this DLP Big Rig last summer- awesome.

Highly recommended day outing for any HT enthusiast.

Perfect HT geek vacation-

.Stay in Independance, OH for 3/4 nights

.See the film version of a new release at Cinemark

.See the same film on DLP for comparision

.Go to Sea World/Six Flags, within an hour from Indenpendance.

.Repeat film & DLP viewing.

Don't laugh- I did that last summer http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also saw Shrek (DLP) in Burbank.

95% of the time, it looked great. Really nice saturated colors. Definitely a video-esqe look.

Occasional shimmery weirdness on some textures.

Resolution needs to increase some (this was on a averageish multiplex-sized screen). Apparent aliasing during titles.

I know now to sit a bit further back (I was maybe in the 10th row?).

Oh yeah, nice movie too..

CMW

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
It is also at the Irvine Spectrum in Irvine CA. South Orange county. On screen 17 i think. this screen is permanently setup for Digital.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, it was an enjoyable movie. There was enough adult humor in it for me to enjoy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

As far as the performance of the DLP, I was impressed. I just wished they had shown previews on it so I could see live action; as it was, there were no previews at all.

The colors, as mentioned above, were fantastic. I could find nothing wrong with the color. The resolution was damn good as well. The only way I first knew we weren't watching film was seeing text on the screen perfectly still. Film text always jumps around, if only slightly.

I tried hard to notice the limits of the resolution, and I could certainly see it in some places. I only noticed quantization artifacts when highly detailed areas of the image, such as where individual strands of hair showed up against a contrasting background, or detailed textures, moved or when the camera panned. There was a shimmer in those high-detail areas. This is nothing Joe Average going to the movie would notice let alone care about.

Frankly I was surprised even to see this small problem... Shrek is entirely digital from the get-go, so you'd think they would be able to resample it to exactly the resolution of the DLP, and have the shimmering smoothed out by the resampling process.

I really look forward to seeing live action on a DLP!

Gabe

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm planning on seeing Shrek at the Cinemark in Independence. I'm wondering, is the rainbow effect that I'm sensitive to on an InFocus LP335 going to be visible to me at the theater?

-Eric

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Quote:
I'm wondering, is the rainbow effect that I'm sensitive to on an InFocus LP335 going to be visible to me at the theater?
No, Eric. Cinema DLP's don't use a color wheel. They have 3 seperate panels devoted to the primary colors: red, green and blue, similar to D-ILA and CRT front projectors.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I remember about a month back watching Atlantis at the ziegfeld in midtown manhattan. It was a dlp presentation and my jaw just dropped....excellent colours....and the detail....it seemed crisper looking than film (but we all know that does not necessarily mean better resolution)

If anything, there was the lack of any defect (specs or tears) when watching it. It took a little getting used to, but it was a pure joy to watch! And the movie wasn't bad either!

I can't wait for more of this all digital theater experience. Imagine waiting a month or the cheap theaters and seeing the movie just as clear as the opening night!

I wonder how I would find out when the next dlp presentation happens? I saw AI at the ziegfeld later and it was presented in traditional film. Nice looking, but it's hard to go back to film scratches and dirt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.