AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to best buy last night to get Shrek. All of the labels had disc 1 listed as full frame and disc 2 listed as anamorphic.

Is the movie in anamorphic, or are there multilpe versions and best buy is only carrying full frame (they've done this on other releases)?

Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that on the label, does that mean that the movie is anamorphic (1.78) or full (1.33)?

Usually the movie is on disc 1 if it is a two disc set and the extras are on disc 2. Which would imply that the movie is 1.33?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1kevinm
I saw that on the label, does that mean that the movie is anamorphic (1.78) or full (1.33)?

Usually the movie is on disc 1 if it is a two disc set and the extras are on disc 2. Which would imply that the movie is 1.33?
It means just exactly what it says on the bottom of the back cover. "Disc 1 is 1.33:1 Full Frame, Disc 2 is 1.78:1 Anomorpic Widescreen".:cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I guess I'm just dense.:) I assumed the movie was on disc 1 (as it is with every other 2 disc set that I own), implying the movie was in 1.33. I'm glad to hear that the movie is also on disc 2 and it is anamorphic. I'll pick it up tonight. I appreciate the clarification.

Tks

Kevin

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just about all the DVDs I've seen that include both full and wide screen versions have these two versions on one disk. My guess is that the producers' rationale is that a version with two separate movies on two separate disks will reduce sales if they get split up.

Personally, I much prefer it set up this way - particularly if there are full-screen extras (like from-video interviews with actors / directors) that get put on the full-screen disk. No more trying to figure out if the extras on an anamorphic widescreen disk are in 4x3.

But... we've all been programmed to expect the both-versions-on-one-disk - so, yeah, it's a little confusing when trying to decide which version to buy.

Bob

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
There is a good reason for the Shrek 2 disc version.

Disc #1 contains all of the "kiddy" games and DVD content as well as the 1.33:1 full frame version. This is likely the version that children can play with and watch on their small TV (doesn't every kid have their own TV now;)).

Disc #2 has the technical extras and behind the scenes extras as well as the 1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen version and the DTS 5.1 soundtrack.

Making a "kids" disc #1, and an "adult" disc #2 was a brilliant move, IMHO. Thank you PDI/Dreamworks!!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with DMan: it was indeed a brilliant move from Dreamwork's part to release Shrek the way they did.

I hope that future releases are done this way so that the "I want my TV screen filled!" and widescreen fan crowds are satisfied... :)

-THTS

·
Registered
617 Posts
I picked it up this week, but am waiting for a "family viewing" night.

At the video store I asked the clerk about the disk 1 and 2 issue...his response: Obviously the movie is full screen on disk 1 and the extras are wide screen on disk 2.

I bought it anyway! Extras are widescreen ...really!!!

:)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I'm a bit disapointed in the transfer, there are a couple of scenes that show some bad compression artifacts and EE is evident through out the film. Sound wise it could be better too. I love the film though, very funny.

Jeff

·
Registered
24,938 Posts
I did the same thing. I put on disc one and found it to be 1.33:1 and I thought I must have purchsed the wrong version. I then put on my glasses and read the box! I think that this was a very good transfer with very very little EE. I was pleased with the movie as well. It's one that can pass my multiple viewings criteria!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Jeff,

I viewed Shrek last week and found the image to be absolutely stunning looking...and detected no artifacts nor edge enhancement whatsoever.

I watched this movie (the 16x9 widescreen version) via this HT set up:

D-ILA display (Dukane 9015, professionally calibrated), HT-PC (progressive scan with inverse telecine DVD playback, and automatic anomorphic enhancement detection feature), projected on a 12 foot wide "scope" screen (1.3 gain).

The resultant rather large image allows to be readily criticized as visual defects can be easily seen...if they are present in the transfer. No such problems were detected.

Heard the DTS soundtrack and found the mix quite acceptable.

My multi-channel gear is pre/pro'd by a Lexicon processor.

What HT gear do you own? Is it properly calibrated? Are you applying too much sharpness boost? Thought I ask...

-THTS

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Frank,

I'm using Shrek and Superbit FE to test various software DVD players at the moment, so I was deliberately looking for faults and trying to decide if it is the player or the transfer. Superbit FE is virtually perfect, Shrek on the other hand does have a number of problems. A few of the dark scenes suffer from blocking. Even my wife descibed it as a bit flat and my wife never comments on PQ. EE isn't terrible but it is there if you look for it. On the sound, it's fine but it doesn't quite reach the highs that it should do, an example of this is the dragon towering over Donkey in the castle(you will also see the bloacking artifact here). I'll dig out some more scenes tonight so that you can decide for yourself.

Here is my equipment;

Video; Plus U3-1080 (AKA LT150), ISCO II anamorphic lens, Radeon based HTPC with PowerDVD XP

Sound; Denon AVC-A1SE, Celestion C series speakers, B&W ASW2500 sub

Jeff

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Jeff,

In my "review" (here in the AVS Forum) of this movie I mentioned seeing some sort of EE occurring in couple of scenes, but was so fleeting that I opted to just enjoy the flick rather than worrying about, and looking for problems.

I believe it was Stef Bervas who also mentioned seeing the same phenomenon, but not about objectionable amounts of EE nor about the presence of other digitally-originated artifacts. This corroborates with my own ocular impressions of the DVD transfer.

But I'll be giving the transfer a recheck not only on the same system used for the original viewing, but also via a Sony S7000 deck, Crystal Image scaler, and Isco anomorphic lens attachment, as well as a 3D Mpact2 "DIVA" processor-equipped PC.

The interesting point is that your PC use the Radeon video card which is touted as having no electronic ringing (ghosting) problems like the NVIDIA GeForce cards are alleged to suffer from, yet I failed to notice the problems you describe.

At present we're attempting to borrow couple of 35mm odd reels of Shrek for comparisons. Even though the DVD is alleged to have been transferred directly from the digital master stems, checking the film version will be an invaluable tool in helping us sort these things out.

As for the sound mix...yes...it could have been better, but nothing is perfect. Imho, the track had just enough of oomph to call to action the SVS 46/16 subwoofer octet, which otherwise remained dormant during the greater lenght of the movie. This goes to show the track has deep bass reach and decent amplitude in certain scenes, although agree that surround activity could have been a bit more aggressive and directional, particualrly during the castle dragon flight scene as you so adroitly noted.

The super-bitted TFE is indeed a superb transfer, but is hardly devoid of problems; there are a number of scenes which exhibit a bit more of aliasing artifacts than I care to see, but accept the fact that it is a side effect of the SB'ing process. So much for perfection...

Cheers! :)

-THTS

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I noticed this is the 1.33:1 image. I didn't notice the same amount of edge enhancement, but I cannot imagine that the 1.78:1 anamorphic image was made from a different digital master?? Interesting?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMan
There is a good reason for the Shrek 2 disc version.

Disc #1 contains all of the "kiddy" games and DVD content as well as the 1.33:1 full frame version. This is likely the version that children can play with and watch on their small TV (doesn't every kid have their own TV now;)).

Disc #2 has the technical extras and behind the scenes extras as well as the 1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen version and the DTS 5.1 soundtrack.

Making a "kids" disc #1, and an "adult" disc #2 was a brilliant move, IMHO. Thank you PDI/Dreamworks!!
I didn't think of it that way but it makes sense. But I still can't help feeling a little cheated by the duplication of a lot of the special features.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.