AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got more boxsets of Anime that I can shake a stick at and would really like to minimize them as much as possible (take up to much room). I would like to know if there is a tutorial or system/software that would allow me to basically rip just the episodes (none of the credits or extras) and cram as many as possible onto a single disc. This is becoming more appealing to me with dual layer burners and potentially get a whole 26 episode season on one disc (20 min episode = 300 MB, 26 eps = 7.8 GB). Can the great people of this forum enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

-tReP

·
Registered
793 Posts
 DVDShrink

Do a search on the HTPC forum to learn more...I believe you'll need NERO to burn to disc, but this allows stripping extras/menus etc, and also has the capability to compress the files to fit a certain size (default is the single-layer DVD size...but you can adjust the percentage so it won't exceed 7.8 GB)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying DVD shrink can compress multiple DVD's simply to a single disc?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
If they're ADV DVDs you should have no problem as 1/2 the discs are taken up by previews anyways.
ROFL :D Heh...isn't that the truth...DVD's must have been ADV's kryptonite!

-tReP

·
Registered
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trepidati0n
Are you saying DVD shrink can compress multiple DVD's simply to a single disc?
Yes, it can...the re-authroing capabilities of DVDShrink are very powerful and very easy to use. I can't guarantee it will look very good, since you'll be doing a LOT of compression, but it can certainly do it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I do this all the time. DVDShrink (ripping with zero compression) plus AutoGK (to convert to DIVx). DVDShrink to re-author and rip the episodes. Then, in Windows Explorer, create sub-folders and put the VTS_XX .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files into the sub-folders. Then point AutoGK at the sub-folders and voila! DivX AVI files.

BTW, in my experience, 300 MB for a 20 minute show is WAY generous, especially for anime. 200 MB is excellent quality (to me) with 128 kbps MP3 soundtrack. Even down to about 165 MB is pretty good if space is a major consideration.

But the math is easy: 4500 MB / # of episodes on a single DVD = size of an episode.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His&Her Circumstances are 1 GB VOB files...almost shuddered. They went to dual layer because of being lazy with sub-titles it appears *shrug* Oh well...can't shoot them too much. Trying to figure out which angle/subtitle file/and language setting I want to use. After that...it is rip central.

BTW...anbody know AGK will create the proper DIVx file for the momitsu V880?

Also, if people are willing to help, I wouldn't mind making a guide using freeware programs to show how to compress TV or anime series down.

-tReP

·
Registered
638 Posts
Never played DivX files on anything but an HTPC, but I think that the decoder configuration is up to you, apart from resolution and bit-rate, which are controlled by AGK. So my guess is that if you set your DivX encoder to a hardware-player-compatible profile, the DivX files will play fine. Only one way to find out for sure, though...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geuss I will have to build a HTPC for anime....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have been trying this lately, with the first season of South Park. I think I am doing it a little differently than most though, I want to rip so that ech file is an individual episode and dumping the DVD menu altogether, then they can be navigated and played back in either WMP9 or zoomplayer depending on which PC I am on. I have had no problem ripping to individual episodes with DVD-decrypter, but when I compress to avi with AGK, setting file size at 300MB, I get terrible quality audio. I am very new to AGK, and only would ever need 2 channel audio on the rips, this is for a distributed video system throughout the house, so if I ever want 5.1, I can put in the original disk in the theater (actually none of the SP DVDs are in 5.1 anyway, but I digress...)

Any advice on audio settings in AGK? Or should I look at a different tool? I had considered using DVDShrink to rip smaller vobs, then just convert to divx or mpg without any further compression, I just hate the lengthy trial and error process in learning this stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.