AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few movies that I recorded at high quality (before I realized medium quality was best if I want to burn it to a DVD) that I would like to burn to a DVD.

I have had good success using "evtdump, rtvedit and rtvconvert" on medium quality shows, but the high quality ones are too large for a DVD.

Searching this forum, I found reference to DVDShrink and DVD2one which are suppose to reduce the size to something that will fit on a DVD.

I have run both of the products on medium quality shows, and they reduce the shows like they should. When I try to reduce the size of a high quality show, both products get started, then blow up.

DVDShrink gives me the following message:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue

Failed to read file "G:\\"

invalid access to memory location

I know the high quality recordings sometimes exceed DVD standards. Could that be the reason for the failures? Is there some tool that will put the high quality .mpg files back into specs?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Did you make sure that the DVD you authored to hard drive (before shrink) was able to play all the way through without problems? It's quite likely that if the RTV mpg was out of spec initially that when you authored to disk it would have been re-encoded by the authoring software you used, so the resulting VOBs theoretically should be OK. But many authoring packages (especially the lower grade consumer ones most of us use) don't always produce good VOBs so don't rule that out as a possible source of the problem.

I haven't had such problems with DVDShrink 3.1 operating on VOBs that originally came from RTV 4K HQ recordings.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moyekj

I think you are right. I am using Roxio easy CD and DVD creator to save the DVD image to disk, but I think it truncates anything larger than 4.7G. At least the image seems to be screwed up about that point.

What can I use to create a DVD image to disk that is larger than 4.7G?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I'm sure there's others that work, but I use Sonic MyDVD Deluxe 5.2. It doesn't complain about or truncate images >4.7G when written to hard drive. It's not freeware (I paid $60 a few months ago), but if you only need to do a few of these remaining HQ recordings you could do it with the demo version.

·
Registered
18 Posts
bpratt

If you upgrade Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator to version 6.2 and use it in the "DVD Copy" mode, it will automatically compress and burn your large authored video_ts file onto a single DVD.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
If you upgrade Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator to version 6.2 and use it in the "DVD Copy" mode, it will automatically compress and burn your large authored video_ts file onto a single DVD.
I am using version 6.2. The problem I see with "DVD Copy" mode is it expects the input to be a real DVD or a .iso or DVD files (vob ... ) to be on the hard disk. The files I get from my 5080 are .evt, .mpg and .ndx. The .mpg file is greater than 5Gig in size. If I use Roxio to burn a DVD to disk, it truncates the VOB files once they exceeds 4.7Gig.

I have had several problems with this version of Roxio when I am processing .mpg files larger than 4.7Gig. I thinnk its time to junk this POS and move on to a better product.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree, Roxio is no good for authoring raw RTV mpeg files. Once you have an authored video file using other tools, then Roxio can be used to shrink and burn.

If you want to dump Roxio I suggest the following which works consistently for me:

1. Edit the RTV mpeg using Womble. This will produce a compliant mpeg2 file which can be authored.

2. Use TMPGenc DVD Author to produce a VIDEO_TS file from the Womble mpeg. Ignore the warning that the file is too big.

3. Use DVD Shrink to compress the VIDEO_TS file to DVD size.

4. Burn the DVD with Nero or the write tool in TMPGenc Author.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Use TMPGenc DVD Author to produce a VIDEO_TS file from the Womble mpeg. Ignore the warning that the file is too big.
I would like to give TMPGenc a try, but I can't find where to get it. Can someone post a link?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
2. Use TMPGenc DVD Author to produce a VIDEO_TS file from the Womble mpeg. Ignore the warning that the file is too big.

3. Use DVD Shrink to compress the VIDEO_TS file to DVD size.
TMPGenc has tools built in to adjust the video to fit it on a particular media. DVD Shrink shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyones help. I found and downloaded TMPGenc DVD Author and it works great.

I like DVD2one for shrinking files down to fit on a DVD. I have use it on several very large high quality replay recordings with no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.