AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in dynaudio owner thread but no ppl reply. Sorry my title is wrong... i dont know how to edit it.

Greetings. I am seeking advice regard my setup. I am wondering shud i get a Rotel RB-1080 power amp for my setup. What i feel is tat my music lack the bass and i get harsh treble when i go to even 10am on the vol dial of my integrated amp. I am a warm sound lover originally but i sort of changed but sometime i still like to listen to my frens diamond 8.4 for the warmth. I am also a former basshead.

My setup is hifi pc.

PC> Lossless> Asus Xonar Essence STX>QED One RCA>Marantz PM7001(Supra LoRad powercord)>Van den Hul CS-122>Dynaudio Audience 122.

Originally i was going for a Mission M34i but i found the 122 cheaper, 2nd hand unit, while i was at the hifi shop and my fren (owner of 7 pairs of dyns including sappire, C2, audience floorstands) manage to convince me to grab it even tho it didnt really suited my taste. Im more to warm sound and cant stand bright.

But after a year of listening to the dyns, i think i have grown to like the dyns more than b4 cos i know the limitiations of wharfedale and missions. But the dilemma remains, i wanna listen to my music without going too loud, but the bass only come out at louder volume cos my amp is weak? I am told my ppl in my local forum, dyn owners are expected to do better than a USD500-600 amp for my speaker lol but im not tat rich and i just got 3yrs work experience out of uni and i still dun make much cos im live in SE asia.

Hope for some solid advice whether to stick with my speaker of possible reconsider to dwngd speaker?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I am rather fond of the older analog Rotel's. About the best for the buck. Every amp is different, but I have never been disappointed with a Rotel power amp. They are the only amps I can pay for that pass my wife's super-sensitive harshness blaring trumpet test. Next step up is really serious. Bryston, Krell, Naim etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oic, so you think more power can help soften some the harshness of the treble?

Cos some ppl tell me my amp cant control the speaker well and cos some of the harshness. What i mean by harshness is ussually in the vocal. i hear a sssssssss sound trailing the singers voice.

But i have a feeling also it could be my music. A lot is mainstream stuff of different genre. Excluding Classical, Jazz, techno, trance, dance which i dun like.

When i tried Jennifer Warnes (best quality recording i have), there doesnt seem to be tat harshness...

Im worried tat tis is what ppl refer as digital harshness? I dont want my investment of a power amp to go to waste lol.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Take some CD's to a store and audition better speakers and amps. It could easily be that your CD's are not well mastered. There is a lot of good music on bad recordings out there.

Dollar for dollar, ( or whatever currency you use) speakers are most important, then room treatments, lastly electronics.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oic. normally where shud i buy good quality mastered cd? amazon uk or amazon us? some ppl tell me europe press cd is better. most my cd is local press which i know not tat good.. but i have cd i bought from japan (im from malaysia), and they tend to be high in treble and thin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts