AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search but didn't find a thread.

Read the book a week ago. Loved it. Excellent movie material. I hope Scorsese keep the ending which was superb.

Should've premired on Oktober 2nd. But was postponed a few days ago 'til February 19th. Apparently economic issues

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the trailer is a bit misguiding. It appears almost to be a horrorflick.

It seems to be scarier than the book though. Which is good. A mystery thriller should be pretty close

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Is Leo Marty's new Bobby D?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Guys...

Saw it tonight....and it was PHE-NOM-EN-AL.

Seriously. I was sick of seeing the damn trailer over and over and over again- pull yourself together teddy- it was like she evaporated, straight through the walls...- over and over again.

But after about 5 minutes into the movie, I forgot everything. Never looked at my watch once. Great performances. Great story. A great mind**** of a movie.

Great great great!!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC /forum/post/18025545

Guys...

Saw it tonight....and it was PHE-NOM-EN-AL.

Seriously. I was sick of seeing the damn trailer over and over and over again- pull yourself together teddy- it was like she evaporated, straight through the walls...- over and over again.

But after about 5 minutes into the movie, I forgot everything. Never looked at my watch once. Great performances. Great story. A great mind**** of a movie.

Great great great!!

+1. Just saw it today with a few friends. Right from the get go like he said and you'll be hooked and it just gets better and better.

And the picture and sound only drew me into it deeper, even at my rather mediocre local theater.

Run, don't walk!!!! I want the BD day and date!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I just sent my wife an e-mail asking her what day this weekend she wanted to go. It'll probably be Sunday. I'll post my review afterwards. I thought there'd be more Wolfman reviews and hope to see more SI reviews here this weekend.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I thought the movie was fantastic. Very atmospheric and enjoyable. Leo does such a great job and Scorcese's direction is great. I loved all the symmetry in the shots. I'd also like to say this is the first time I've seen Marty successfully include CGI into one of his films. In previous efforts it always stood out. Everything blends seamlessly here. It was nice to see Patricia Clarkson and Jackie Earle Hailey. I thought they both did a fantastic job with their small parts.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Hate to be the killjoy but this is not a good movie. No suspense. No scares. Long, boring and very predictable. Without anything other than the trailers, I guessed the story before going. Nothing great about the acting. Leo is still in his Departed character mode.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero /forum/post/18176480

Hate to be the killjoy but this is not a good movie. No suspense. No scares. Long, boring and very predictable. Without anything other than the trailers, I guessed the story before going. Nothing great about the acting. Leo is still in his Departed character mode.

Guess I'd like to know how often you go to the theater and what you enjoy if this basically did NOTHING at all for you.

Lots of what has been coming out is garbage, that is why I rarely go to the theater, but this was a rather pleasant surprise and I'm probably going to go again to see it. That speaks volumes for me personally.

I suppose I'll borrow the line from Crowe, "were you not entertained"? We'll see how others felt as more opinions come forth.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 /forum/post/18177172

Guess I'd like to know how often you go to the theater and what you enjoy if this basically did NOTHING at all for you.

Lots of what has been coming out is garbage, that is why I rarely go to the theater, but this was a rather pleasant surprise and I'm probably going to go again to see it. That speaks volumes for me personally.

I suppose I'll borrow the line from Crowe, "were you not entertained"? We'll see how others felt as more opinions come forth.

I don't go to the theater very much because there isn't much that is new. I saw that there were very divergent reviews but I have usually liked and respected Scorsese's movies (except he is getting hit and miss lately -- didn't really like Gangs of New York, Bringing Out the Dead, The Aviator, thought The Departed was ok). I had to take my son and his friend to a movie and needed to pass the time so I went to this rather than do nothing.

This seemed to me to be very much like an old "B" movie. Leo's schtick seemed very much in The Departed mode. But from the previews, the set up is very familiar and I pretty well guessed how it was going to go. The last line was a tiny bit of a twist on the ending but it did not redeem the movie.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Thanks Daryl on your take.

I see you're from AZ. Nothing to do there this time of year, isn't the weather pretty good?

I'm fairly close to NYC and cannot wait for a warm up and be rid of the snow which is now basically dirt in my area. Once the temperature warms up, I'll be strolling around Manhattan like I usually do!

·
Registered
5,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 /forum/post/18177967

Thanks Daryl on your take.

I see you're from AZ. Nothing to do there this time of year, isn't the weather pretty good?

I'm fairly close to NYC and cannot wait for a warm up and be rid of the snow which is now basically dirt in my area. Once the temperature warms up, I'll be strolling around Manhattan like I usually do!

I play a lot of tennis and there's lots to do outside. Actually, yesterday (when I saw the movie) it was raining so a pretty full theater for the matinee show.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Saw it at the best theater in town. Looked amazing; sounded great.

The story kept me engaged, and all the acting was fine.

And the direction + photography was superb.

But this is not going to be one of the best films of the year, I suspect. It was very well made, but far short of "phe-nom-i-nal."

Just by the way, it is not a scary movie; don't be fooled by the trailers. That suited me fine, anyway.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero /forum/post/18176480

Saw it this afternoon with my wife. Started out good and there were a couple of interesting plot twist. After that, I thought the story got too murky. At that point I completely lost interest and as it started to drag on I couldn't wait for the movie to end so I could get out of there. The atmosphere in the theater after the movie was over felt negative. And I also did not find it to be scary or even spooky. And yes Leo (though a fine actor) is starting to repeat himself. Not on my future BD to buy list.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts