AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were watching the very entertaining "Comet Collision" on Discovery HD Theater sunday night, and one of the HD commercials was for the Shuttle launch in "beautiful high definition".

The commercial actually showed the launch, then the shuttle climbing away from the pad, and rolling on it's belly...damn they were FANTASTIC.

The images were crystal clear, looking through a window. The only catch was when, and at the end of the commercial..."coming soon to Discover HD Theater".

Sounds like Mark got his price. ;)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
did you happen to read the STS # or shuttle ID on the side of the craft? was it Discovery? could be stock footage from some filmed nasa source...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN
did you happen to read the STS # or shuttle ID on the side of the craft? was it Discovery? could be stock footage from some filmed nasa source...
That would seem pretty cheesy on Discovery's part, to take old footage, run the promo right after this latest launch.

I doubt it, I recall a blurb about "NASA returning to flight"....and I do recall DISCOVERY written on the side of the shuttle.

I'll repost when/if I see it pop up on "discovery.com"

·
Registered
542 Posts
At least from a marketing/advertising standpoint, you'd think Discovery would want to use footage of the Discovery shuttle. Heck, wouldn't take too much post processing to turn the Discovery lettering on the bird to "Discovery.com" :)

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Supposedly, the reference standard for shuttle launches in HD is the one on Digital Video Essentials, which I have. And since all the launches are pretty much identical, I'm not anxious to see the launch of Discovery in HD.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's reality TV at its best!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George
WOW.

What could be more of a "must see" if you're an American and have HDTV.?
for the record, not everyone ties science and jingo together.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robill
Did Discovery ever air this program? I hope I didn't miss it. Has anyone heard anything?
Hasn't aired yet.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
For the record, HDNet aired continuous (iirc 6hrs or so) coverage of the last launch which was stellar!

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcliff
For the record, HDNet aired continuous (iirc 6hrs or so) coverage of the last launch which was stellar!
Yeah, and those of us who don't have HDNet (Comcast) are still waiting for Discovery HD's program.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George
We were watching the very entertaining "Comet Collision" on Discovery HD Theater sunday night, and one of the HD commercials was for the Shuttle launch in "beautiful high definition".

The commercial actually showed the launch, then the shuttle climbing away from the pad, and rolling on it's belly...damn they were FANTASTIC.

The images were crystal clear, looking through a window. The only catch was when, and at the end of the commercial..."coming soon to Discover HD Theater".

Sounds like Mark got his price. ;)
This is really good news... sometimes NASA shows pictures from the Shuttle looking back at Earth... I'd love to see those in HD too.

Anyone who visits Central Florida should make it a point to put the “Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral†on their list of tourist attractions.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan
It's sort of after the fact, out-of-date and yesterday's news by now.
Yeah, but it would still look awsome.

·
Premium Member
35,983 Posts
No doubt. It's too bad they couldn't get it on in a more timely fashion. For those that didn't see it on HDNet I suppose it would still be a definite must watch though.

·
Premium Member
35,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by auribe14
Guess Mark C was right, too, in his interpretation of the exclusivity to HDNet.
I was thinking the same thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.