AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good quality DVD showing space shuttle take-off(s)? I've just added a Clark Synthesis tactile transducer to my HT, and the launch of a Saturn V in For All Mankind ROCKS, literally. Could be interesting to check the 'rumbleosity' of other launch vehicles. DVE has some stunning quality shuttle launch footage, but unfortunately with music rather than boosters roaring on the audio. I have Moonraker, but that doesn't reeeeally count ;) .

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
There is also an IMAX series of DVD's on the "new" space program. Should have some launches included.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I dunno about launches, but The Core has a hell of a crash landing!

Gus

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
So did Gigli.

:)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The PQ of the IMAX: The Dream is Alive isn't all that good (it was one of the early IMAX movies), but it's very enjoyable none the less. It brings back some good memories, as I was lucky enough to view two shuttle launches from 3 miles away. :)

If you want to work out your transducers, the Enterprise crash in Star Trek: Generations and the train crash in The Fugitive come to mind...

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
The PQ of the IMAX: The Dream is Alive isn't all that good (it was one of the early IMAX movies), but it's very enjoyable none the less.
The PQ of the DVD isn't as good compared to what is should be as the laserdisc version was compared to other laserdiscs, but it is pretty good. 3 to 3.5 out of 5, I would say. The sound is has some very deep Hz.

I will give mine another look and listen and correct this if it is wrong. The main area of disappointment for me was the lack of chapter stops.

And I sold my laserdisc version when I ordered the DVD. Had I known the DVD (most, if not all IMAX DVD's are not well transferred) was going to be less than great I would have kept the LD.

I do recommend this DVD. There are beautiful visuals and two great liftoffs.

Still, Apollo 13 has a great liftoff.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The Apollo 13 liftoff is not only on my demo loop, but it's the first clip. Never fails to evoke awe.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I purchased another IMAX dvd intitled Cosmic Voyage - narrated by Morgan Freeman - and they do manage to include a shuttle launch although not lasting very long. I believe the audio is mastered in 5.1 DD and the sub definitley had a work out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.