AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about building my HTPC around a Shuttle Spacewalker XPC SS50. I can get one for around £150.

With a Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz CPU (Im not sure whether I can use this, is it P4's ONLY?) and 256 MB RAM.

Im going to use it as a PVR, but because I dont get a very good analogue TV signal from my indoor ariel, in my room, I was thinking about getting a WinTV Nova-t so I can recieve Free View (which I think only UK residents will know about), and recording the digital channels.

I'll use it as an MP3 jukebox, and possibly a DVD player.

Perhaps run Showshifter on it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just remember with the SS50 you get two PCI slots, and no AGP. You should be able to put the Cely in there... but I'd go to Shuttle's website and look at the specs before you buy. I just ordered an SB51 for HTPC use. I can't really say get it or not (but If I remember the conversion of pounds to dollers, that's not a bad price). For best output, the better graphics card that an AGP card give you might go well.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I've got a shuttle ss51. Nice machine, looks really cool. But the psu is NOISY. Wouldm't be my choice for an HTPC

·
Registered
33 Posts
HI just a quicke reply to say im on that run up to using a shuttle box for a HTPC and if you havent been there already i suggest talking to the guys in the Sudhian SFF forum they can give you alot of info on making shuttles quiter etc

Flipside

·
Registered
40 Posts
work permit - your power supply may be faulty, my ss51 is very quiet compared to every other pc I've owned.

currently using my ss51 as my dvd player and music jukebox - so far no problems (fingers crossed)

agree with flipside, the sudhian forum is very good, worth reading before and after you've got a shuttle.

- AV Spyder

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.