Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject title about says it all.

I'm thinking of putting together an HTPC (and the Shuttle SS51G has gotten REALLY cheap now) with an AIW for timeshifting regular TV and a MyHD for doing the same with HDTV, plus 2 hard drives and a DVD-ROM, no floppy.

My concern is the power supply included with this model (it's only 200 watts). Can it handle all of the above?

And can an AIW and a MyHD co-exist on the same PC without screwing each other up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I can't answer your main question, but I will advise you that you should get the floppy drive. They can be had for as little as $3 at a local computer store. Weird issues see to always come about that do not let you use your cd-rom or usb thumbdrive and the floppy becomes a life saver.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Klipsch,

The problem with the floppy is that Shuttle XPC's only have three drive bays. A floppy would have to be installed INSTEAD of one of the hard drives, which would dramatically cut down on the HDTV recording capacity.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Simandl
Subject title about says it all.

I'm thinking of putting together an HTPC (and the Shuttle SS51G has gotten REALLY cheap now) with an AIW for timeshifting regular TV and a MyHD for doing the same with HDTV, plus 2 hard drives and a DVD-ROM, no floppy.

My concern is the power supply included with this model (it's only 200 watts). Can it handle all of the above?

And can an AIW and a MyHD co-exist on the same PC without screwing each other up?

Thanks!
Just to keep things clear, a MyHD cannot timeshift HDTV. It can only record the transport stream to the hdd for later viewing. The AccessDTV card is the only card that can timeshift HDTV (timeshifting = pausing live tv).

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey I just read somewhere that the MyHD card can record analog TV as well as HDTV. Can someone tell me if it indeed can record analog TV through an S-video input as well as HD through its own tuner? If so, I won't need the AIW....

Thanks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the very satisfied owner of a Shuttle SB51G with a 3.06ghz P4, MyHD MPD-120, nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 dual view video card, 1gb RAM, 1 30gb Maxtor system drive, 2 200gb Western Digiral JB 8mb cache media drives, all of which is installed internally in one of these rather small XPC's. I was pushing the stock 200w power supply to the max, so I replaced it with a Shuttle PC40 250w.

I also have another 200gb WD and a Sony DRU-510A DVD burner installed in ADS Pyro DualLink IEEE1394/USB 2.0 external drive cases plugged into the 1394 ports. For floppy there is a TEAC USB floppy that can be set as a boot device in BIOS.

Initially heat was a problem until i updraded the stock fan with a Thermaltake SmartFan running at 3000rpm. I also run CpuIdle Extreme cooling software which makes a 15° - 25°F reduction in the temperature by sending a halt command to the CPU during system idle CPU cycles. With MyHD runnig, the CPU temperature is 108° - 112°F.

Although it is possible to record analog channels with the MyHD, it is not an ideal solution. The files recorded can not be viewed on the MyHD through your HD monitor. They must be viewed with a media player software on your desktop. This has been discussed many times in this forum, so do a search and see what you can find. I will do some more experiments and report the results.

When I'm home i feed a Sony 34" 16:9 XBR800 with the YPbPr directly from the MyHD. I take it with me to Charlotte where I live for about half the year and feed a Sony SDM-V72W 17" 16:9 LCD monitor with the loop-through VGA in RGB.

All in all, the Shuttle XPC's are a great solution for small HTPC systems.

·
Registered
779 Posts
FDM80;

timeshift=pausing live TV?????

According to The Motion Picture Association of America Replaytv, which invented bot pausing and timeshifting, as well as the EFF you are not bringing clarity, but confusion to the picture.

pausing live tv = pausing live tv, timeshifting= shifting the time in which a network (or other) television show is watched.....

These definitions were argued in court, we shouldn't rehash them here.

http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/Paramoun...complaint.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
I've been using mine together for over a year...yes.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Simandl

I wish I could help you w/the answer to that, but maybe this helps... Assuming it can *not* handle all that, you could save a little on your power budget by going with just one (really big) drive. Or, consider building a second one with no extra cards and 3 (really big) drives to serve as a media server.

HTH...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.