AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've got a 18" SI 2 Ohm on the way, and am starting to decide what I want to do with it.  It's my first subwoofer ever, and also my first DIY so I'm learning as I go here.  Right now I'm leaning to building my own Marty Cube, but am kicking around sealed as well.  Not 100% sure on that yet.

I understand that the iNuke3000 is the standard choice for whatever I'm going to do.  Good price, it's got plenty of juice, and I could run two of these if I ever go there.  The downsides in my mind is that it's another piece of electronic equipment I've got to find a home for in my entertainment center.  I'm a bit of a minimalist at heart.  Less = more.  And I highly doubt I'm going for dual subs any time soon.  If I was, I should have snagged another SI while they have them. 

All this has me looking at plate amps to eliminate dealing with another piece of equipment in the stack.  Something like the Yung or Bash 500, which claims 500 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.  That would get me in on the bottom end of the "recommended" range for the SI 18.  I'd have to wire the dual coils in series to get to the 4 ohm load the plate amp needs (or at least that's what google tells me - as I said I'm learning here so if I'm wrong on the wiring I'd appreciate the feedback).

So... what are the downsides to a possible plate amp plan?  Is it even feasible?  In my mind  I've got less power but it's still in the recommended range.  The coils would be wired in series - and I don't know if there are impacts to that or not from a sound perspective.   I guess I really don't know what I don't know, so would appreciate anyone's help.

My wife always gets frustrated because she'll tell me something won't work, but I'll try it anyway.  In my mind,  learning where things go wrong, even though the outcome may be a failure is part of the fun.   That's sort of the same with this.  I know the iNuke is the "right" and accepted answer, but I'm trying to understand the science behind why that is and what the tradeoffs are with the other options out there. 

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
This is what you're basically looking at. It shows the difference between 500w versus 880w. I also included sealed at 880w. There are some numbers floating around with what the 3000 actually puts out at 4ohm that I'm not up on that I've been meaning to get to.. so just what it would translate out to I can't be sure until I dug them up. The inuke would afford you to run dual subs without the need for another amp and comes with dsp if you opt. You would especially need it for all three options imo. I've herd some good things about the Yung though. You could also go with a 1000w plate but definitely not as economical as the inuke or the Yung. If it were my decision and I in your shoes/criteria, I would go the inuke with no hesitation. The good thing about a plate is no fan, but you can do a fan mod with the inuke. You can't run two subs in the future if need be and you can't bridge if you go with a bigger dog more power hungry driver in the future.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Although I don't know the room volume, I'll knee-jerk a generalization and say a vented box is the way to go when you can have only one.

Especially when the plate is likely to be high-passed.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Especially when the plate is likely to be high-passed.

Good point! We know they do. With some it can be dialed back in, but at the cost of power of course.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1521356/si-18-amp-selection#post_24449860

This is what you're basically looking at. It shows the difference between 500w versus 880w. I also included sealed at 880w. .

>

steve - thanks for that graph. Exactly the sort of information I'm looking for. If I'm reading the chart right - the difference between 500 and 880 in the marty cube is about 3dB? Now the million dollar question - will I notice that?

The room is challenging. It's a finished basement. I've not measured it, but it was 700 square foot in the real estate listing. Probably 20x 36, with 8 foot ceilings. So we are around 5,700 cubic feet. I understand that whatever I do is going to be underkill based on my floor area, which probably calls for multiple monster subs. But my expectations are lower too - I don't need to be lifting paintings off the wall or anything. I just want to put a solid bottom end in. Right now I'm running a 3.0 setup with Polk Monitor 70's and that's it.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
With the Yung you would imo because I neglected to add the hp at 20hz it automatically comes with, so it's actually 5dB down at 20hz. But then I still haven't checked what the inuke is actually coming in at. For conversation purposes that's close to the gain you get by adding another sub. In that size room you could use the horse-power but then you might find your good with the Yung. It doesn't cost much and you could always recoup some of the cost by selling it and upgrading your amp down the road if you felt like you wanted more. One thing is for certain though, regardless!.. it would be a night and day difference over what you have going now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts