AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the wall right now between getting 6 or 8 of the bad boys. What do you guys suggest. I was wanting to do 6 up front behind screen wall in sealed and two in back of final row in sealed or ported not sure yet. Also I am in the design phase of my room but want to pic these up before they are gone. Room is 14*27*9.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The D2's make it a little more difficult when it comes to matching them to an amp. Do you already have amps?

If it were me, I would do 8 total subs and four inuke6000dsp's, with four ported enclosures(if space allows). That way, each amps DSP function would handle one dual sub enclosure since each enclosure placement in the room can be EQ'd separately. One sub to each channel of the inuke6000 at 4 ohms each equals roughly 2200wrms for each sub, which can and should be limited to 1100w or so through the inukes software.

I first thought of 8 subs and two amps, each group of four D2's can have a final load of either 1ohm or 4ohm. I'm just not sure how well that will work out in terms of amp power. I'd be looking for something that will output roughly 4k-4.5k watts at 4ohm bridged. Also, I'm not sure how flexible or effective the EQ portion could be with trying to work with two separate enclosures at two different locations.

Just my thoughts on it, I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another option I would strongly consider is four uxl-18's, it'll make matching to amps easier.

Each one to a single inuke3000 for the full 2200wrms, or a pair of UXL's on one inuke6000(one on each channel). I think the 6000 route would be cheaper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input I have not chose amps yet it might be between inuke6000dps or the crest 7.5 DPS amps I am looking at.

I was wanting to put something like six 18 up front in sealed enclosures and two in the back ported or sealed but am open to 4 sealed and 2 ported in Frontbut would have to check on space needed.

Thanks for you guys time. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas on anything else.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino11  /t/1523858/si-18d2-subs-question/0_80#post_24522687

Thanks for the input I have not chose amps yet it might be between inuke6000dps or the crest 7.5 DPS amps I am looking at.

I was wanting to put something like six 18 up front in sealed enclosures and two in the back ported or sealed but am open to 4 sealed and 2 ported in Frontbut would have to check on space needed.

Thanks for you guys time. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas on anything else.

I have the exact same setup.

I have 6 in the front and 2 in the rear. If going sealed in the front, stick with the same in the rear.

I wired three D4's up for a 6ohm final load. It doesn't provide max power but I chose this route over going with four up front and more power. The SPL was the same and the drivers and amp are being worked a whole lot less. Each cab is run off an EP4000.

The two in the back are run off an Inuke 3000. They are D4's though so they are running bridged at 4 ohm.

If you want to make things a whole lot easier, you could go with 4 up front and 4 in the back, assuming these are being placed in the same cab. If going with separate cabs it muddies the water a bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am glad you posted something as I liked your setup and was going to mimic it but can only get the d2's so I might need to set it up differently. I was asking about ported in the back or two ported in the front to get the best of both worlds but it might be to much trouble so I might just stick with sealed. I was also considering two cab on top of like a Marty ported in the front. Or all sealed in front and the two Marty's ported in back. But blending might be hard. Please feel free to post any ideas you guys might have.

Thanks for you guys time.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Well sealed with definitely play lower, but will give up a bit to ported at the tuning frequency. If you are going with 8, I would personally go sealed as they will have plenty of output and can be put into a smaller footprint.

If you can fit 4 per cab (mini papalock build); you can get 500 per driver hooking them up to an Inuke 6000.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino11  /t/1523858/si-18d2-subs-question#post_24523497

So you are saying I need 10 so I can put 2 in the back to help for smoothing dang we just end up needing more and more
Quote:
Room is 14*27*9.

Oh at least. : ) This is DIY..

·
Registered
5,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino11  /t/1523858/si-18d2-subs-question/0_80#post_24523497

So you are saying I need 10 so I can put 2 in the back to help for smoothing dang we just end up needing more and more

I was thinking 4 and 4, but I like where you're going with this.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I don't see D2's as being more difficult at anything. It's just about amp choices and planning. I think many people get stuck on the options for final load to the amp being limited to 2, 4 or 8 ohms. Just like in Bass Addict's room though, he is wired for a 6 ohm load. Wiring for 3 ohm loads or 7 ohm loads is also fine so long as the amp choice matches with the scenario.

If I were in this boat, I would put 4 up front and 4 in the back, all in dual opposed cabs (2 subs per cab). I would wire each sub in series with itself and then parallel each pair of drivers together for a 2 ohm load per box. Then I would pick up a four channel NU4-6000 or two NU-3000's and put each 2 ohm box on it's own channel. You'd have independent control over each box and with 8 of them running, max output and headroom would not be an issue, IMO.

Whichever way you choose to go, I am sure you'll end up with something very enjoyable!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Warning.. This may be information overload, with some rambling. Some of it may have been said already. I'm not sure how or why I went this far into detail, but it doesn't hurt to post it anyway. I sure wish I would have read some of this before I committed to 8 SI HT D2's/2 EP4000's. Keep in mind I don't have all my gear hooked up as of yet and my main goal of multiples was to deal with a problematic nulls in the 30hz range and to dig below 20hz with authority. Hopefully people get something out of it.

My upgrade path has went like this: First I ordered 1 EP4000 and 2 SI HT 18 D2's. More or less as a taste test. The original plan was to run four 18's on 1 EP4000 in two dual opposed boxes.

Of course my mindset changed, so instead of buying 4 SI's I bought another EP4000 thinking I could take full advantage of the SI's I already had. I came to find out it wasn't as much of an upgrade as I was originally led to believe. In truthfulness I never torture tested it. (the same goes for the rest of my upgrades)

The next setup was buying 2 more SI HT's giving me 4 four in total and along with my 2 EP4000's. So far I've only ran 1 EP4000 along with my 4 SI HT 18 D2's and I noticed a crazy nice upgrade over 2 EP4000 and 2 SI HT's. I haven't even hooked my second EP4000 to my 4 SI's yet!

So what did my crazy butt do next? I order 4 more SI HT's giving me a total 8 SI HT 18's and 2 EP4000's. From the awesomeness I've already experienced (1 EP4000/4 D2's) with certain moves and 16hz test tones I have No Doubt this is will be a Sick upgrade. Literally (Flight of the Phoenix comes to mind)... I'm running all sealed 4 cu ft flat packs.

That is were I sorta wish I would have done a few things differently like ordering 8 D4's and powering them with 2 iNUKE NU4-6000 and built my own cabs to save money. Power wise, that's the best bang for the buck amp power wise for 8 SI HT (D4s) IMO. IIRC 2 iNUKE NU4-6000's would be the equivalent of 4 EP4000's for not a whole heck of a lot more than 2 EP's with the recent sale prices.

If my current setup is enough I SAVED money and ended with the best bang for my needs. I'm sure 500 RMS each (x8) is more than most sane enthusiasts would need. If I am truly insane after all, I may have pay out the butt for a true amp upgrade. I would have to double my wattage to see a nice gain from what I've read. My next step may be along the lines of 2 VC5000's. I can't stomach buying two anytime soon! Hopefully Behringer comes along with a cheaper alternative down the road. If only I could have gone Infinite Baffle I could have dropped the cost of a second amp/8 boxes. I'm currently renting so that isn't happening!

Since I'm renting and can't upgrade the internal power lines I love the fact that I can run my 2 EP4000 off two standard 15 Amp wall jacks, plus the fact that EP4000's have minimal roll off until 5hz. My setup is almost as good as I can get within the power/space/budget constraints IMO.

After it's all said and done I learned that displacement trumps power. Infinite Baffle is king provided you have an ideal location for it (driver protection is in sheer numbers/most run filters still), HUGE ported retains ULF and will give a large bang for the buck provided you don't mind multiple refrigerator sized boxes in your theater/living space and filtering most likely needed for driver protection. IMO throwing out the benefit retains that ULF via huge boxes.

Sealed offer more placement flexibility, retain a good deal of ULF without filtering, but they needs more power/drivers. Pick your poison.

More drivers = lower distortion and flatter frequency response if placed in ideal locations.

All this has been experienced without the use of Audyssey XT32 or my newly received Balanced MiniDSP. I've been waiting on my calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1/other parts. During this time I made many large DIY bass traps along the way. I wish I could have documented my every step via graphs. Oh well.. I had NO idea I would go this crazy. Thanks AVS lol

BTW: 6 in the front and 2 in the rear bass has been the plan provided everything measures well. Between seeing Bass Addict/Carps setup, the fact that Stereo Integrity was discontinuing the HT line, and hate having 'what if" doubts pushed me over the edge!

- Jeff

Reactions: sooly1

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dam when I went to complete sell on my 18 they were sold out. That sucks. Should I try to get two 24 inch ones if so which model the d1 or d2 or should I go for something else please help me out guys because the price foes up for the 24 at the end of the month so I can get two right now.

Thanks for any help I feel like kicking my on ass for waiting to long on the 18's.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Rhino,

Did you catch the post where Stereo Integrity has decided to restock the 18" HT line? It'll be 3-4 months, according to them, but it looks like there will be more available , eventually. That said, if you really want the 24's... well... you should jump on them now, wallet permitting. IMO, and WAF be damned!

Myself, I'd get 4 18's for the same $ as 1 24"er, but that's only because I already have 4... if I didn't, it'd be damn hard to decide between 8 18's vs. 2 24's... YMMV

Joseph

1 - 19 of 19 Posts