AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang quick question. Ordering parts today for my first DIY build. Going with 4ft^3 sealed flatpacks from DIY sound group, an SI-HT18, and an inuke6000dsp. I understand the inuke will drive two subs @ 4 ohms, so do I need the dual 2 Ohm voice coil version or dual 4 Ohm?

Second sub will be the same but probably with the HST-18 driver, driven off the same amp.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
depends on how many you're driving off each channel

if you're doing 1 per channel you can do either or. use the limiters and run a dual 2 ohm one at 4ohms total , or use a D4 and wire for 8 ohms, giving it about 1000 watts.

if you're running 2 per channel then the D4's for sure

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
depends on how many you're driving off each channel

if you're doing 1 per channel you can do either or. use the limiters and run a dual 2 ohm one at 4ohms total , or use a D4 and wire for 8 ohms, giving it about 1000 watts.

if you're running 2 per channel then the D4's for sure
I will be running one per channel and want to run 4 ohm to get the 1800watts per channel. The HT18 will be nearfield and won't need quite as much power, the HST-18 will be further away. I am guessing I need the dual 2 ohm in order to wire them as 4 ohm but not sure.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I will be running one per channel and want to run 4 ohm to get the 1800watts per channel. The HT18 will be nearfield and won't need quite as much power, the HST-18 will be further away. I am guessing I need the dual 2 ohm in order to wire them as 4 ohm but not sure.
Yes, you are correct. The dual 2 ohm can be wired as 1 or 4 ohm. The dual 4 ohm can be wired as 2 or 8 ohm.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you are correct. The dual 2 ohm can be wired as 1 or 4 ohm. The dual 4 ohm can be wired as 2 or 8 ohm.
Thanks for the clarification. Order being placed for dual 2 ohm voice coils. Shame I missed the $5 shipping sale they were having. Have to order through Sundown Audio now with $20 shipping.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New pricing $174 shipped flat rate for SI-18. Still a good deal imo.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
one channel of an inuke 6000 on a d2 si18ht in a smallish sealed is asking for trouble.

might want to engage the limiter for about 1100 watts or so. you know, just in case. :)

with the hst18, you are probably fine, even though I think you will still be over warranty power.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks LTD, I'll gladly take all the advice I can get. I wanted to do two HST-18's, since I can only run two subs in my main living room, but this is the only way it fits the budget. I figure I can always upgrade the HT-18 to the HST-18 down the road if I ever desire to or find it necessary. Surprised you said that the inuke might push the HST-18 to its limits though...it seemed like it took a truckload of power in Josh Ricci's testing without running into mechanical excursion issues(He pushed it with 158volts 20 Hz and below). I suppose this differs from the official safe "warranty" power limit.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Surprised you said that the inuke might push the HST-18 to its limits though"

where did I say that? :) I was simply saying that the power of one channel of the inuke is a little over the number that stereo integrity will warranty...more of an fyi than anything.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks LTD, I'll gladly take all the advice I can get. I wanted to do two HST-18's, since I can only run two subs in my main living room, but this is the only way it fits the budget. I figure I can always upgrade the HT-18 to the HST-18 down the road if I ever desire to or find it necessary. Surprised you said that the inuke might push the HST-18 to its limits though...it seemed like it took a truckload of power in Josh Ricci's testing without running into mechanical excursion issues(He pushed it with 158volts 20 Hz and below). I suppose this differs from the official safe "warranty" power limit.
He's saying you'll be at the "enter at your own risk" wattage, as technically speaking any damage done beyond 1500 watts is not covered by warranty. Each channel from the iNuke6000dsp will do somewhere between 1800 and 2200watts.

Not like pretty much ALL of us in the DIY section didn't void our warranties in the first 72 hours of building anyway. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts