AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
A suspended floor makes a HUGE difference. When I had my HT set up in my main floor family room, all the subs I tried out (SVS PB10-NSD, Energy S10.3 and even my first sub, a relatively modest DefTech ProSub 200TL) gave good massages.

Based on experiencing my PB12-NSD together with my buddy's MFW-15 in my basement set-up, I'm pretty sure that what I really need are dual ported subs, and I would love to get my hands on either the PSA V1500 or the RA Echo 15, but until the CDN dollar gets closer to par, that ain't gonna happen.

Anyway, enough side-tracking about me. Congrats again on the new sub! :D I'm looking forward to reading about the next one... :)

Never gave a cement slab floor a thought. I guess many people on here have some wood floors suspended. Here in south Florida we have concrete floors and no basement. So I guess that's why it's harder to shake stuff with no floor movement.

To the OP, nice sub you will enjoy 2 much better.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Never gave a cement slab floor a thought. I guess many people on here have some wood floors suspended. Here in south Florida we have concrete floors and no basement. So I guess that's why it's harder to shake stuff with no floor movement.

To the OP, nice sub you will enjoy 2 much better.
Yes, I miss the +/- 2dB FR I had from 16-100 Hz with my dual XV's. I'm hoping for 115 dB capability down to 10 Hz when I'm done. :)

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
A suspended floor makes a HUGE difference. When I had my HT set up in my main floor family room, all the subs I tried out (SVS PB10-NSD, Energy S10.3 and even my first sub, a relatively modest DefTech ProSub 200TL) gave good massages.

Based on experiencing my PB12-NSD together with my buddy's MFW-15 in my basement set-up, I'm pretty sure that what I really need are dual ported subs, and I would love to get my hands on either the PSA V1500 or the RA Echo 15, but until the CDN dollar gets closer to par, that ain't gonna happen.

Anyway, enough side-tracking about me. Congrats again on the new sub! :D I'm looking forward to reading about the next one... :)
Honestly, I'd be surprised if that(the ported subs you mentioned) made a difference for you. The sealed UXL's will put out as much as those ported subs will around tune, and of course much more everywhere else. So yeah, I think your solution for improved tactile sensation would be a riser and or Crowsons. I'd probably start with the Crowsons if I were you. Even the guys with eight 18's get a tremendous benefit from them.

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
bear123 said:
... I think your solution for improved tactile sensation would be a riser and or Crowsons. ...
I won't rule them out, but they're more of a "last resort" option for me. :) I still have a couple of things I'd like to try, including nearfield placement (beside/behind my recliners).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I won't rule them out, but they're more of a "last resort" option for me. :) I still have a couple of things I'd like to try, including nearfield placement (beside/behind my recliners).
I have my 2 cubes up front and 2 12 inch near field right behind my seating. That was perfect until I put in bass shakers and now it is very pleasing.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Damn it bear, just when I thought I settled on keeping my current subs I stumble across this thread.....

The sub is beautiful man, glad to hear it made an improvement for you. I find it very interesting that it is just as tactile as two ported 15's, this gives me hope that an upgrade would be worth my time!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Geez Bear, I don't know how I missed this entire build thread of yours but I did. I just skimmed through all your pages and your new sub looks great! And I can see from your posts it sounds great as well. Nice Job.

I didn't see it but I'm sure you have it stated somewhere, how much did this build cost in the end?

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Geez Bear, I don't know how I missed this entire build thread of yours but I did. I just skimmed through all your pages and your new sub looks great! And I can see from your posts it sounds great as well. Nice Job.

I didn't see it but I'm sure you have it stated somewhere, how much did this build cost in the end?
Well, this first sub is going to be the most expensive, since I bought enough amp to power two subs:

Inuke6000DSP $360
4ft^3 flat pack $140 shipped
SI-18HTD2 $174 shipped
4 pillows ~$10
Speakon Connectors ~$15
Paint $32
Glue $5
Silicone $4
Driver mounting hardware $5

I'll edit if I think of other things, but this comes to $745. I already had sandpaper and a sander which made finishing the cab very easy. Since I tend to be a perfectionist, I ended up buying a bunch of clamps to ensure the sturdiest cab possible. Probably spent $120 on 8 or 10 clamps. I've seen people build the flat packs with just masking tape and weights though.

For the second sub, it will be:
Flat pack $140
Driver $174
pillows $10
Speakon connectors $15
Silicone $4
Driver hardware $5

for a total of $348. Grand total for both subs will be $1093. However, I will most likely end up using the HST-18 driver @ $540 shipped. This will bring the total budget to $1459.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Well that's not bad at all. I'm very impressed with your work. Again…Nice job.:)

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well that's not bad at all. I'm very impressed with your work. Again…Nice job.:)
Thanks! Can't wait to get the next one built, especially with the monster driver, but I am trying to stick to my guns and sell my ported sub to fund the build.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Soooooo, I tried one of those smart power strips, so that the Inuke6000 will automatically power on/off when I turn my AVR on/off. I'm not too keen on the power thump noise. Anyone know if this can be harmful to the inuke? Honestly, pushing a button is not that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

I am thinking the solution I might be looking for will be to rewire the power button on the amp to receive the on-off signal from my AVR somehow?

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Soooooo, I tried one of those smart power strips, so that the Inuke6000 will automatically power on/off when I turn my AVR on/off. I'm not too keen on the power thump noise. Anyone know if this can be harmful to the inuke? Honestly, pushing a button is not that difficult in the grand scheme of things.
Harmful to the amp, probably not. Harmful to your drivers, maybe. How much movement do you see on your drivers when the thump occurs?

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Harmful to the amp, probably not. Harmful to your drivers, maybe. How much movement do you see on your drivers when the thump occurs?
No driver movement that I can see.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

I am thinking the solution I might be looking for will be to rewire the power button on the amp to receive the on-off signal from my AVR somehow?
There are many amp relay trigger threads in the forum if you search - here's one example http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1303723-automatically-powering-pro-amps-via-relay-guide-w-pics.html

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Then where's the thump from?
The noise obviously came from the driver. Not a loud enough or low enough noise to cause any noticeable excursion.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I don't personally see any issue with a little thump when turning on, I've heard that plenty over the years.
The driver obviously isn't sweating it.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Just sold my miniDSP which I no longer need with the on board dsp in the inuke. Probably going to go ahead and order another cab from DIYsoundgroup. Driver will have to wait until I sell my XV15se.

81 - 100 of 215 Posts