AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this isn't a copy of another thread. Moderators please advise.

I did a ported design for my SI24 that I purchased in Nov 2017 and received in Jan 2018.

Nick the owner is a great guy and the Black Friday sale was tough to pass up.

I already have 2 HT`18 ver1 and 2 HT18 ver2 when I got the 24. The decision was based on being able to output below 10Hz performance.

Also for the people wondering what else is in my HT room for bass and mid bass performance the following is for the other 7 channels are :

LCR Woofers : Dayton Audio UM12-22
Side/Back Woofers : Dayton Audio RSS315HO
Mid-bass : B&C 8BG51

I tested the driver in a custom sealed box I made. Test systems used for determining the T/S parameters was LinearX LMS and CLIO (full system , not pocket).

The Design was done in LinearX LEAP.
Based on the test data a ported design with 14.5 cuft and a tune of 15.4 Hz seemed to be the best comprise on size vs. efficiency vs. linear Xmax.

The port sizing was picked based on keeping velocity down.
I selected side port location since I was going to install behind my seating location and also to horn load with the corners for better room coupling.

Room modeling was is 1/4 space to arrive at the SPL data. Test point is where my head is located.
Room size is 3726 cuft (Depth 23 ft, Width 18ft and Height 9 ft)

The Xmax (70% BL rating) is well behaved upto about 6.5Hz which kept the box size down as well.

I will be posting the test data for in-room response to see how well the model matches with reality. I do know there is a limit to the CLIO testing to 10Hz , however that will give a good idea of room gain in conjunction with the driver.

The electronic crossover is DBX Venu360 with a low pass 28Hz and the power amplifier is a Crown XLS-2500.

·
(insert witty title)
245 Posts
Cool, hs24 or ib24? I'm guessing hs24.

Also this is just a build thread right? I think there are plenty of build threads for these subs. I don't think moderators would remove this thread just because someone else has built one before lol.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
excited to see more...

any chance you have graph/measurements from the sealed box testing? would be cool to see those along with your modeling... or I'm a geek... well, i probably am anyway, but that's beside the point, lol
On my test computer but in a couple days I will provide that as well. I enhanced my testing with a displacement laser so I can see how linear the motor is. Also allows observing temperature shifts affect driver performance. The TSL model for LEAP allows the non-linear motor parameters since T/S is small signal only.

·
(insert witty title)
245 Posts
Cool, feel free to check out my build thread for the dual hs24s I made infinite baffle. I did some dats testing which may interest you. Looking forward to your progress! Awesome sub.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
On my test computer but in a couple days I will provide that as well. I enhanced my testing with a displacement laser so I can see how linear the motor is. Also allows observing temperature shifts affect driver performance. The TSL model for LEAP allows the non-linear motor parameters since T/S is small signal only.
don't lasers make everything better? like sharks? LOL

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I am hoping that Kevin at GSG can convince the powers that be to make a LLT enclosure for the HS24. I just received a pair of roundover full Martys and the precision of the cut pieces is way beyond anything I can achieve with my trusty jig saw. But 18s seem so small compared to the 24. The Baltic birch plywood GSG uses is also an order of magnitude better quality than anything Home Depot or Lowes sells.

·
Registered
667 Posts
That sounds like a wonderful idea. The only problem would be shipping a whole pallet of plywood. I know for the sealed box i made it was 2 full sheets of mdf. Ported would be much bigger but i could maybe see that for myself if reasonable. See what i did there said reasonable about something to do with the Hs-24 🤣

1 - 11 of 11 Posts