AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon AVR-1312 XP system which includes 5 speakers and a subwoofer. No matter what I do, the "S" sounds from people speaking bother me. It's too bright? Or really high frequency? They don't sound natural, I'm not an expert but my headphones and computer speakers all sound fine. I had a soundbar previously as well which didn't have this problem.

Now, you may be thinking it's the speakers. But I actually bought different (better) speakers to hook up and tried them out and the problem remains leading me to believe it's the receiver causing this. Is that possible? It's really, really annoying. I like them otherwise but since obviously there's so many times an "S" will pop up, it's impossible to ignore.

I tried turning the treble down, the channel level of the center speaker down, etc. and it still doesn't help much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1  /t/1472921/sibilance-brightness-caused-by-reciever-denon-avr-1312#post_23321489

Try lowering the 3.5-6 kHz band with an EQ'er.
How? The receiver has no equalizer I can see...

The speakers included are SYS-1312 from Denon. The new ones I'm using are from Sony and Energy Take Classic. And no it's not possible to try a different amp.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
The only thing I can think of is perhaps the Denon's room correction mis-calibrated. Did you try running the Denon in 2 channel pure mode, or whatever mode in which room correction is not applied? Being that it sounds fine with your computer speakers makes me suspect the Audyssey.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
So weird. Just some last minute straw grabbing, but is the polarity of the speakers correct? How about the center channel tweeter, not blown? Other than that, this happens on all sources, like tv, blu ray or music? It could be that the Denon is defective, but that's a strange one. You could return it as defective and try again. Energy makes decent speakers, so I really don't see a conflict between them and the Denon if everything's working right.

Sorry for your trouble, it sucks when something's not right but you can't find it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the polarity is correct. It's what they told me to do in the manual. The black with white stripes are in the red, and black with no stripes are in black. It's a constant problem on every source. I don't know anything about tweeters.

Speakers sound clear with no distortion or buzzing, etc. I don't think it's defective, just a design flaw... with the reciever. Since it doesn't matter what speakers I use.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBerry  /t/1472921/sibilance-brightness-caused-by-reciever-denon-avr-1312/0_100#post_23324668

I think the polarity is correct. It's what they told me to do in the manual. The black with white stripes are in the red, and black with no stripes are in black. It's a constant problem on every source. I don't know anything about tweeters.

Speakers sound clear with no distortion or buzzing, etc. I don't think it's defective, just a design flaw... with the reciever. Since it doesn't matter what speakers I use.

The AVR does not cause sibilance the speakers and room do.

Since your AVR has no automatic room correction and I am unsure if it has a manual EQ feature, you should invest in a higher level AVR with room correction and/or room treatments. You could get something like the denon 1612 refurb from accessories for less which includes audyssey multeq for $189 shipped.

I didn't see mention of what speakers you are using or how they are set up in your room. perhaps a few tweaks with speaker locations could help somewhat for the time being.

edit - i see the speakers you are using listed above...how are they set up?

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
The thing is, he only gets sibilance in the voices, which makes it sound like a center speaker issue, but he is adamant that the speakers are fine. I still wonder if the tweeter in the center channel is defective or damaged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I get sibilance on all speakers. Which is why I think it's receiver. The speakers are placed fine, I think. My living room is connected to the kitchen without any walls though, but I don't think that's it...

Every sharp "S" seems to sound the same. I'm not sure if it's just dialog, maybe brash instruments are similar. I really don't know, is it over emphasizing high frequencies?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have a SONY DE-185 and the last few weeks I have been hearing more sibilance also......

Not as much bass and more sibilance.. ON ANYTHING I LISTEN TO!!

Cassettes,VHS,8 tracks or FM/AM radio

I think the amp is going bad... I do have another one I can switch to but its a royal pain!!

I hope you got your sibilance taken care of by now JohnBerry!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts