AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm sorry about this being just my 3rd or 4th post and I'm bitching, but at what point do you feel that you're just not cut out for technology?

Ever since I purchased my first laptop in 96 nothing has come easy for me. At some point the consumer electronics industry is going to be forced to embrace the masses that were not computor science majors.

As for digital cameras and camcorders the situation is worse.

I just purchased a Canon FS-11. Great product. I'm a golf instructor so I don't need HD. I use the built 16 gb almost exclusively. I bought a Sandisk Ultra II that is rated at 4. Whatever tha means. I though it would be convenient because I bought a Sony VRD-MC5 so i could just burn a DVD and send my clients home with the DVD right after the lesson. Just pop in the SD card and you're golden. Yea right.

1. When I attach the USB jack to the burner all I get is a gray screen with a USB icon that just flashes. The burner gives a message that says " Set up camcorder and select input. It just sits there doing nothing

2. I record a few images of video on the SD card and I get a message that says " memory card error check memory card. However, if I take still pics it burns those images fine. when I check the memory usage it shows that the some memory has been used. Yet it won't transfer the images to the burner.

I was going to buy the Canon burner but all I heard and read were negative reviews. I researched the Sony and it is compatible with all other brands according to the manual.

What the F gives? I would just once. JUST ONCE like for one piece of consumer technology to work right out of the box!

You just can't call tech support and get any help. You can't even get and English speaking tech. I'm not from Dehli so me no habla.

It's insane. I've been selling my clients on this technology and it's embarrassing when a simple burner won't work.

DVD-R or RW is supposed to be compatable. Is there a certain brand that I should try? Is there a sequence to connecting the jacks?

Somebody out there has to have an answer.

Please help before I lose my mind.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram40ut /forum/post/14340830

It's insane. I've been selling my clients on this technology and it's embarrassing when a simple burner won't work.

Unfortunately, there are so many different video/audio format, codecs, containers etc out there that even experts would have problem predicting which combination would work or not work. There is no better way than to try it out in the shop or buy it from a place with good return policy.

FS-11 uses MPEG-2, but with audio separate from the video file. So the Sony burner may have problem reading the video files. You may need to use your Canon software to import the video to your laptop first and then burn the DVD. As for the burner connection problem, check with the installation manual first, otherwise call the Sony support.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Someone needs some Mac love.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
ram40ut, I know people out there have been getting good luck with what your trying to do. Solutions are out there. Experiment with all of your software. Just be glad your not trying this with avchd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is supposed to wam bam thank you mam. Sony claims that this unit is compatable with MOST other brands. I can't believe it's not flying with the Canon is absoloutly insane. It should be this hard. I purchased the burner so I would'nt have to go through the computor. Mac love would seem unnecessary. I have no problems burning on a computor. I guess I send this thing back and buy the junky ass Canon burner.

This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ram

1st of all u did a mistake of buying a sony dvd recorder for a canon product....

eventhough sony says its compatable with all camcorders, its designed mainly for sony camcorders..

The USB jack in most cases compatable with sony AVCHD or HDD camcorders.

To record from canon HF10 u should use the video cable/ S video route ( ofcourse with less video Q). THat also not to HD..but to SD.

I am using MC-5 and is going to buy only sony CX12 over HF10 as one of the reason is compatability ( if i buy HF10 its like buying HD and recording in mpeg! that also throgh video cable/S video cable)...

But sony MC-5 its a superior dvd recorder and far ahead of canons DW-100 in terms of options/ user friendly.

It made very easy job of recording totally eliminating PC route ( that also various recording options like HD/SD etc)

YR SD card - Please read the operating Manual carefully - MC-5 records only pics to DVD from Cards(SD/MS/CF etc)...So if u insert SD card with video, it will never recognise it...

Either u have to change yr camcorder or yr dvd writer!!! Bad luck!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife managed to nuke our 16GB SDHC memory card by turning off our Panasonic DMC-ZS3K while it was writing. It wouldn't even come up in Windows (so Panasonic's miracle SDFormatter was useless). Under Linux, I had to remove the ehci driver to force USB 1.0 mode, which worked. I used photorec from the testdisk suite to back it up. The 1.0 mode gave me an idea, though.

I went to an old computer with XP that only has USB 1.0, downloaded SDFormatter, and boom it came right up! It is doing a full low level format right now, which you can imagine will take a very long time over USB 1.0. I will report back when it's done to see if it's fixed.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Is that a genuine Sandisk Ultra II ??

There are dozens of fakes out there.

I use a 32G Sandisk Ultra II SDHC and it work perfectly capturing 19Mb/s.

You may just have a faulty card. Take it back to the store and try another Sandisk Ultra II to test for compatablity.

My work mates thrash any new hard drives for 48hrs (special utility) before using them.

Maybe we should all write the entire card until it is full - on day one, as a test ?

BTW - you should always format the card in-camera before use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts