AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting 3 weeks for my marantz vp12s1 to show up. (I paid on 5/20/02). Today I received an email from RK Media stating that Marantz is to blame. Apparently Marantz has temporarily stopped producing the vp12s1 in Japan. I'm so frustrated! I now have the option to buy something else or continue to wait. RK will credit back to my CC if I want. The marantz has the short throw distance that I want. And of course the DCDi. I'm just looking to you guys for advice.

Should I buy a Sharp or someting else?

Or should I wait for the Marantz for god knows how long?

Any input would be appreciated.

What would you do?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think the decision depends on several factors. What will your viewing preferences be (DVD, HDTV, NTSC, etc.)? Are you "sitting on" a completed HT that only needs a PJ to be utilized? Have you seen all the HD1 DLP PJs so you have a sense of the quality of the others (besides the Marantz)?

I'm sure it's frustrating when you're this close to getting something as great as the VP12S1 - just make sure that you don't do something you may reqret down the road, due to impatience. I don't know what kind of timing we're talking about, but in the grander scheme of things a few weeks is not a long time (some may disagree of course...I'm just waxing philosophic).

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I'm pretty sure it would be safer to wait. If you really want the Marantz and 'settle ' for the Sharp you run the risk of wishing you'd waited. You could be setting yourself up so that you'll see every wart on the Sharp and pine for every feature on the Marantz.

That said, I bought the Sharp a few weeks ago and am most pleased with it. It isn't perfect, but then I'd go crazy in this field if I demanded perfection. It is a huge leap above my previous TV. I think you would be extrremely happy with the Sharp if you can avoid the post purchase regret.

Good luck,

Tim

BTW, I believe that if they do not deliver in 30 days they have to refund the money if you ask them to. I'm pretty sure the CC company will back you up on that one. I really cannot believe that they charged your card the full amount if the unit is back-ordered, seems like a mark against them.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi imagamejunkey,

I can heartily recommend the Sim2 HT300 for Alan and Jason. Long 6000hr lamp life superb picture and plenty bright for images up to 96" wide, great Faroudja de-interlacing and NO reliability problems. Try and get a demo and see what you think.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

well, the HT300 is worth considering as well, I guess. No wait there. It's a good indicator that they don't have any quality control isssues.

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Guys,

I think he is trying to stay out of the HT300 price range.

With Marantz making well over $10K for every 12S1 sold in the US, I think the supply in Japan is going to get very slim. Where would you sell them if you were Marantz?

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
117 Posts
You should ask around about how long people in the US have waited for theirs...Three weeks is nothing. There's nothing good on TV anyway...enjoy the sunshine.

Now, did you mean PRODUCING in Japan? Or just selling there? I had to wait for a few weeks for an upgrade. Maybe that's it. If the supply has dried up to stop the buying from Japan, well, that would suck. I'm sure that RK are trying VERY hard to figure it out. Why not wait a week and ask them specifically WHY there is this problem. This too is one of the headaches of getting something HOT and NEW for half price...

If you are going to use HTPC mostly, go for the Sharp. It is more tuned for that. Otherwise, I'd wait.

-Cart

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Three weeks isn't very long to wait for a Marantz. Most US dealers are still backordered at close to list price and even ********** has them on back order. The backorder situation alone should tell you how high the demand still is for these pjs.

I would do NOTHING until we see what the news is from Infocomm this week!

Your problem is that the only viable competitors TODAY are the Seleco at much more money and the Sharp with lesser image processing. Who knows when the DWIN will become available. Their constant delays with different explanations would concern me. Why would anyone now bring out a DLP1 projector when the DLP2 models will probably be available by CES '03 at the latest?

I spoke with Marantz in early March and even then they were trying to identify the Japanese dealers selling to **********, RK Media and other exporters. Their plan was to terminate the Marantz franchise to any dealer selling to exporters as it was violating their dealer agreement. It looks like it is working. With Marantz getting an extra $3k for every projector sold in the US I'm surprised that they sell it into the Japanese market at all for that low price.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FlatusM
If you are going to use HTPC mostly, go for the Sharp. It is more tuned for that.
FlatusM,

I am quite stunned why you would say that :confused:

The Sharp cannot do anything else than 60Hz via VGA i.e. it isn't optimal neither for NTSC nor for PAL.

The HT300 can do 50Hz as well as the Marantz. But AFAIK non of the new 16:9-DLPs can do 48Hz or 72Hz which would be optimal for NTSC film.

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Clehner,

Why isn't 60HZ optimal for NTSC?

And the Marantz manual specifically states support for 1280X720 at 48Hz

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's not a question of flexible scan rates, it's a question of recognizing the input as 1280x720 native and not scaling and locking into it effortlessly.

The HT300 tends to see the signal as 960x720 and the Marantz does not allow manual adjustment of the final horizontal pixel count. The Sharp came out with similar problems, but has been upgraded and now works with full panel VGA PERFECTLY. Plus, it has a bunch of other computer related features.

I am pretty sure ALL the DLP projectors use triple buffers to deal with refresh rates above 60hz. I don't think the mirrors can switch fast enough for 255 levels/color any faster. I don't know if they do the same with 50hz; but I think the color wheel can only run in a very small speed range around 60hz refresh. Maybe somebody more knowledgable than me can clarify this.

In an HTPC video cards & software handle all the conversions between PAL or NTSC or HDTV video or film rates and send it out at the projector's sweet spot so the projector does no work but final gamma calculation.

Right now, the state of the art is below that of the Faroudja processing, but it is getting closer. Besides, the DCDi is going to be on a $20.00 chip next year anyway that could be stuck on a video card with minimal fuss.

So, I predict that no matter what fancy processing you have on the conventional component or s-video inputs to scale NTSC 480i or HDTV to the native panel, within the service life of a current DLP it will end up used best as a 'dumb monitor' hung off a PC. Thus, that link needs to be perfect and stable.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
imagamejunky,
Quote:
I've been waiting 3 weeks for my marantz vp12s1 to show up. (I paid on 5/20/02).
3 weeks does not seem long at all to me. Both my Marantz VP12S1 and my Stewart 110" FireHawk ScreenWall 4 Way ElectriMask were ordered and paid for in a B&M store (in the United States) on April 26, 2002 and I have not received anything yet.

Paul

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Mr. Wigggles,

"And the Marantz manual specifically states support for 1280X720 at 48Hz"

I didn't realize there was currently any pj that could do that. Do you know of any others? That means film source should be free from judder, right?

Thanks

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
RK Media is nothing more than some doing the same thing that Mr. Kwon is doing. In fact, someone else in the AVS Classifieds is doing it, too. So, why were you trying to by a grey-market projectors with a +$1-2K Markup? Why not get the same projector for less using alternative routes? Also, paying for something that was not in stock via a company dealing in grey-market goods is not always the best way to go. Somehow, I doubt there are supply problems considering many have bought Japanese units in the past week without waiting whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.